Download Manager: Flashget vs ?

matthewk

Do you use Flashget or something else?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Flashget or something else?

• Flashget
    • Other

I know Flashget is commercial, but I like it alot. I know there are some free ones out there. I'm interested in what the members here use, and I'm interested in what you feel might be advantages/disadvantages of your choice when compared to say Flashget or other popular one(s). Thanks :)

yea, im using flashget for over 3 years, and iits eating my internet resources :D, so i think its the fastest one, i like its options, its jets, and its simple of course, thats making it best. when u use it with hacks like 100max downloads with 30splits per one download, there is no program that will reach it :)

I know Flashget is commercial, but I like it alot. I know there are some free ones out there. I'm interested in what the members here use, and I'm interested in what you feel might be advantages/disadvantages of your choice when compared to say Flashget or other popular one(s).  Thanks :)

Leachget for a freeware is pretty good, it also support custom referer.

@mrnxdmx

Does having more than 5 threads while downloading really increase the speeds ?

@mrnxdmx

It has never been sensible for me to do more than 2 or 3 connections. Generally, 1 or 2 connections is good enough to get the max out of the host or your connection. In one case, a host was max'ing out a single connection at 10kb/s; so, I opened 10 connections getting around ~100kb/sec. This is the only case where I have seen such, but without a program like flashget I could not have got the files at the speed I did.

At a normal dsl connection, normally not, but when i'm at university, (has a great connection, think about 19000kbps) using more than 5 threads is really increasing speed.

This is not a logical reply. I'm not sure if the example provided in my post makes sense or not. Basically, it is not safe to say that the amount of connections one is able to use for benefit is based solely on his/her own internet connection. If your dsl will max out at 250kb/sec and the download is going at 50kb/sec, then it is logical to increase the amount of connections. If you increase the amount of connections and do not notice a change, then you could remove the newly added connection due to it not being a benefit to the overall transfer rate. If are at a university and you are able to get 500kb/sec+ downloading, then do not expect to get this from most hosts. Unfortunately, not every host has as much or wants to allow as much upload bandwidth to a single user.

Metaproducts Download Express gets my vote for sure. It's free, small and works well for me. And - important as well - has no ads or spyware.

Furthermore, I hate browser integration and clipboard monitoring - these things are easy to turn off in Download Express :)

Greetings

- Jacob

Edited by techniquefreak

How come no one says 'Download Accelerator plus'? Is it a bad one?

I used DAP for many years. Flashget was the transition I made after it. I read it was 300% faster; that is probably of course a little exaggeration for advertisement, but I have noticed it is a little more efficient.

I remember GetRight having a feature to download say image01-image99.jpg very easily or any sequential filenames; I always wanted this in flashget.