Winamp 5.1!

Zxian

Winamp 5.1 Surround Edition

* New: CodingTechnologies AACPlus encoder!

The MP3 Killer!

Awesome at low bitrates too!

* New: Grand Prize Winner of the Internet Surround Music Project!

KAJE - Hey Buddy (featuring Afrika Bambaataa)

* New: SHOUTcast Wire - A Media RSS Browser and Subscription Service

* New: Predixis Smart Playlist Generator

(Mix your tracks based on what they sound like!)

* New: AOL Radio featuring (((XM))) Free Sampler!

* New: CD Ripping now available at 8x in free version!

* New: Microsoft WMA encoder

* New: Over 200 new Milkdrop presets!

* Update: in_vorbis now returns bitrate in getextendedfileinfo

* Fixed: WMA stuttery playback

* Fixed: out_ds copy button on status tab now works all the time

* Fixed: Much improved ripping and playback with Sonic engine

* Fixed: Video window now resizable regardless of Sidecar

* Fixed: Length of long mp3's now reported properly

* Fixed: Silent install switch now works properly

* Fixed: Simultaneous CD Playback and Ripping

EDIT - Links removed... sorry for the confusion

All I can say is wow... I just ripped some music with the built in AACPlus encoder at 96kbps and it's hard for me to hear the difference between it and the CD...I can hear it, but I have to pay attention. :blink:

Edited by Zxian

Just found this on the Winamp Forums...

As some of you may have seen on other sites, a pre-release version of 5.1 has been published accidentally, and is currently pending removal.

Be advised, this version contains checkin's of fairly widely modified code, and as such, has some stability issues, the most predominant of which occurs in versions of windows outside of XP, as well as having received no internal QA, and having unfinished new functionality.

The version on the servers is designated "beta 3" (but is not marked as such) and we advise people that it remains unsupported and very much not a production release.

In the meantime, while waiting for the files to be removed, we will be taking action to remove all links to the files as published on the forums to stem a multitude of reports about already known issues.

I'll be posting updates to this thread, as and when i get them.

Thank you for your time.

CraigF, on behalf of the mod squad.

Dangit... Oh well... I got the pro version downloaded... I'll probably reinstall the final version when they release it. :)

Sorry about the false alarm... I'll let you guys know when it comes back.

Hehe... my computer!

ftp://MSFN@zxian.dyndns.org:4200

That should do the trick. Let me know if you can't connect. Filezilla has been kinda buggy on me lately.

If this is against the rules, please let me know. I will gladly remove the links if I am not allowed to host the files.

Also found this link earlier.

http://www.qfile.de/dl/232482/winamp51.rar.html

The Pro package allows for higher bitrate and faster MP3 encoding, if I'm not mistaken.

i remember to read something from Alanoll that said both versions were mostly similar (at least files are the same) but pro version asks for serial during setup and full not (correct me if necessary).

in fact, if you've a serial you won't find any difference at the time of using them :)

The only difference for Pro and Full packages, are indeed the installers themselves. They might not add in all the little Ad stuff that Full has in it in Pro, but i'm not sure. The main difference is that during setup, it should ask for a serial (if it's not already on the system). Other then that, the versions are exactly the same for use, with the exception of the Pro features are disabled till the serial is entered.

Anyway, I'll wait for Allanoll's msi as usuall!

Don't forget to change all the version numbers this time :P And keep your good work man. I know school's starting back soon (1 week left for me!) so I hope you will have some time to work on the msi.

I just never learned any other way of installing winamp with all the settings, what would I do without you! :thumbup

Edited by Thauzar

The only difference for Pro and Full packages, are indeed the installers themselves. They might not add in all the little Ad stuff that Full has in it in Pro, but i'm not sure. The main difference is that during setup, it should ask for a serial (if it's not already on the system). Other then that, the versions are exactly the same for use, with the exception of the Pro features are disabled till the serial is entered.

It's the only difference as far as I know.

I'm gonna wait for the final (shouldn't take long), but I still hail OGG over anything. However, now with my iPod ordered and almost shipped, I started ripping my albums again to MP3--alt-preset. I know iPods play ACC, but do they also play +?

I think they will, but you have to place them in an m4a "wrapper". I'm just spewing out what I heard from somewhere else.

If they do, I would suggest getting off the OGG and MP3 bandwagon... those days are over! With OGG, there's a noticable delay if I want to seek through a song. ACC+ is far better quality for the bitrate (compared to anything I've heard before), and like I said, it's hard for me to hear the difference on a 96kbps stream. With 128kbps, I can't hear the difference (and that's with Sony MDR-V700 headphones....). The seeking is pretty much instantaneous as well.

I tried using AAC+ at 128 but I noticed some noise. Then I tried 192 and it was transparent, but it was a bigger file than OGG (which is also transparent at that bitrate).

Seeking depends on the plug-in your using. in_vorbis was updated a while ago and is now instantaneous.