Windows Installer Help

The Rock

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Log on to your computer as an administrator.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

4. At the command prompt, typemsiexec.exe /unregister, and then press ENTER.

5. Type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

6. Verify that the SYSTEM account has full control access permissions to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive in the Windows registry. In some cases, you may also have to add Administrator accounts. To do so:Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

a.  Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

b.  Click the following registry hive:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

c.  On the Edit menu, click Permissions.

d.  If SYSTEM is not listed in the Group or user names list, click Add, make sure that the local computer name appears in the From this location box, type system in the Enter the object names to select box, click Check Names, and then click OK.

e.  Click SYSTEM in the Group or user names list, and then select the Full Control check box under Allow in the Permissions for SYSTEM box.

f.  Click Apply, click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.

7. Restart the computer. If the problem is not resolved, repair Windows XP. For more information about how to repair Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

This is according to Microsoft. But at step 4, when i try to unregister MSIEXEC, the message comes out, about ORDINAL 280 is missing. msi.dll is corrupt, can anyone send their own msi.dll file?

Try to reinstall the MSI Installer

Enter command line mode then

Attrib the dllcache directory

Deleted msi.dll, msiexec.exe msihnd.dll from winnt\system32\dllcache and winnt\system32

Delete the service from HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services called MSIServer

Reboot

Install the Windows installer

Hateful Sorrow, i wish i could meet you one day just smack the yellow off your teeth. The file's link that you send, crashed my PC, made all my 4 paritions RAW, i had to partition it again, all data lost. In the future please refrain your help to yourself if you dont know what havoc wud it cost.

Forgive me if i offended you, but it was worth it.

Ya know rock.. that windows installer dll will not crash your pc nor will it make all your partitions RAW. It is a simple dll not an executable. It sounds like you were having problems before you got this far. No need to bring violence into play when all we were trying to do was help you out.

@graybeafl

he mentioned in previous posts that he cannot run this for some reason.

So rock.. does this mean your computer needs to be reinstalled or do you still need help?

WOW, i think it might be caused by either Domain controller or group policy. - not sure at this moment, but I definitely heared this specific case in my memory. would you run gpedit.msc to check items to see if any restriction related? hope it can help.

HateFulSorrow, excuse my being a Jackass that day. i had to refomat every drive, maybe it was with a virus my NAV2005 Prof. Couldnt detect Nor cud any of the real time security agents. (ALL UPADTED EVERYDAY)

I am sorry, forgive me, i lost 35GB of data and it took me 2 days to Download it again.

Thanks people, i have already installed my windows, settings have been made, and everything fine

So Stupid of me.