RIS does not work with Nforce3 NIC ?

Hi all !

I created an RIS image for my workstations with a WinXP SP2 disk.

I added the drivers from the latest nForce WHQL package (5.10), following the instructions form MS KB article 314419 "How to Add OEM Plug and Play Drivers to Windows XP"

My RIS installation works for motherboards with NForce2 chipsets (ASUS A7N8X motherboards), but not for those that have a NForce3 chipset (ASUS K8N motherboards).

Is there something special I should do, or maybe there are special drivers I have to use ?

Thanks a lot for helping !

Im not sure what method that artical told you to use, but you can try simply dropping the .inf,.sys,and .cat driver files into the i386 directory. Then you will need to restart your RIS service (if you have server2003, restart the "remote installation serveice", for server 2000 restart "boot information negotiation layer") This SHOULD :D create the .pnf files needed for windows to install the drivers properly. It may not work the first time, so if it doesnt work, just wait a while and try again. Good luck, and let me know if that works for you :thumbup

P.S. check out this guide, it mentions some of what I just explained only with nic drivers... step 21 or 22 i think

Check This Out!!!

Edited by cheezus420

Im not sure what method that artical told you to use, but you can try simply dropping the .inf,.sys,and .cat driver files into the i386 directory.  Then you will need to restart your RIS service (if you have server2003, restart the "remote installation serveice", for server 2000 restart "boot information negotiation layer")  This SHOULD :D  create the .pnf files needed for windows to install the drivers properly.

Thanks for your answer cheezus !

That's almost exactly what I did, but without the .cat files (only .inf and .sys in the i386 folder).

I'm going to try with them, but I have little hope : as I said, it works with nforce2 NICs, but not with nforce3. So it's not a problem of bad installation, it's a driver / NIC specific problem I think.

That's almost exactly what I did, but without the .cat files (only .inf and .sys in the i386 folder).

I'm going to try with them, but I have little hope

YEs, same problem with the .cat files.

I think the problem is that the Nforce NIC needs the "NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator" to be installed in order to be detected. Am I wrong ?

If this is correct, how could I work around this problem ?

I think the problem is that the Nforce NIC needs the "NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator" to be installed in order to be detected. Am I wrong ?

If this is correct, how could I work around this problem ?

Noone here ever tried to boot on an RIS server with an nForce3 ethernet controller ?

Sorry to bump this thread, but this issue is driving me crazy. I have no answer from ASUS's support, and NVidia won't provide any since this is an Asus MB...

cocobingo, could you possibly tell me how you got RIS to work with a Nforce 2 chipset. I am getting he network adapters not found message. I have made both an $oem" folder in and outside of the i386 folder. I have alsom copied the latest drivers into the i386 folder. This is becoming quite a headache. A guide or any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

cocobingo, could you possibly tell me how you got RIS to work with a Nforce 2 chipset. I am getting he network adapters not found message. I have made both an $oem" folder in and outside of the i386 folder. I have alsom copied the latest drivers into the i386 folder. This is becoming quite a headache. A guide or any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I just followed the steps from Microsoft's KB article.

Let's say the path to my image is :

\Setup\English\Images\RISetup

I have a \Setup\English\Images\RISetup\I386 folder

I made a \Setup\French\Images\RISetup\$oem$\$1\Drivers\LAN\NForce folder

(i have subfoldes, because I have many drivers to install)

in this folder I copied the file from the latest unified driver. (they were extracted in C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\5.10\Ethernet)

I then just took the .inf and .sys files from this folder and copied them to \Setup\English\Images\RISetup\I386

I stopped and restarted the BINL service, and that was it.

Good luck !

if you look deeply in nforce drivers there is a different driver for ris setup, I've tried it with my ris system (standalone not depending from m$ files) and it doesn't work, I've got blue screen

Hey that's very good news ! (the drivers, not the fat that they don't work for you ;) )

I haven't found anything like that though. Where should I look precisely ?

they probabily removed from the driver, or I don't remember correct the inf, anyway I've tried a different inf and drivers also included in the package and it doesn't work.

Anyway in what step your installation stops? Do you get driver not found/blue screen/setuploader hangs after getting mrxsmb.sy_ from tftp?.

You can use ethereal to log tftp packets and see if the driver is requested from the client and also if tftp files are all served (the last is mrxsmb.sy_ but the nic driver is requested some files before)

Anyway in what step your installation stops? Do you get driver not found/blue screen/setuploader hangs after getting mrxsmb.sy_ from tftp?.

I get a textmode screen stating something like "installation on winXP not supported : drivers for your network card not found"

If I boot on the RIS serveur with an nforce2 card instead, it is the point where the setup starts loading the files from the server.