IBM donates 50,000 lines of code to Firefox

XPero

@ prathapml - Yup... it's always a good idea to stick with K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

I guess this was meant more as a basis for new ideas to be built into Firefox. IBM always was anti-Microsoft... most of their laptop drivers don't even work properly under SP2... :no:

I think its excellent they are doing this

I never liked firefox and never will

But i think if they put this code to good use it will become a great browser for those with need for features like that.

But i agree i think its also to p*** MS off :P

I do have a though, isnt Firefox open source would that mean this will be available to everyone? Or is it diferent

Edited by matt5108

I do have a though, isnt Firefox open source would that mean this will be available to everyone? Or is it diferent

If the Mozilla group releases Firefox with the code given to them from IBM, then they would have to release the source code. That means that anyone else out there is free to use it, but they would then have to release their source code.

There's no getting around the GPL... :)

IBM and Mozilla's work is an important step in helping to make the increasingly popular browser acceptable for adoption by governments. As an example, Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act requires that federal agencies' electronic and information technology be accessible to all employees and citizens regardless of their abilities.
If this is true, then all governmental agencies will have to switch to FF to be in compliance. Then all webpages put up by governmental agencies will have to be FF friendly. How about government contractors?
"The Accessible DHTML Technology offers great advantages to disabled users and we will continue to leverage the technology to provide visually-pleasing and content-rich web browsing experiences to users," said Victor Tsaran, Accessibility project manager, Yahoo!. "Having such a powerful technology at our disposal will enable Yahoo! to make more of its services accessible to people with disabilities worldwide."

Same again, but for the private sector.

If this technology is good, then what will people do with it beyond the accessability part? How will they manipulate it to do other things?

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, one quarter of the U.S. population will reach 55 by 2008, and about two-thirds will experience a disability after age 65. (In other developed countries, including Italy, Spain and Japan, 45 percent of the population will be over the age of 60 by the year 2040.) With American workers staying on the job far beyond the traditional retirement age of 65, more employees can make use of accessible information technology, including the Firefox browser

So a portion of the population is going to be inclined to use FF to suit their own needs. How many people around them will use FF to stay standard within their own group?

DL