Is there any way to have ONLY the Administrator?

ps24eva

I wonder if you could do that for XP Home, since normally Home Edition blocks you from using Administrator in normal mode (can only login in Safe Mode). I'll test it on Monday if I get a chance and let you know.

Is there a way to have ONLY the Administrator account?

whenever I install XP pro, it forces me to pick a username.  Granted this username has aministrator privelages, but I want only the TRUE 'Administrator' account.

Login to Administrator account, go run->compmgmt.msc->Local User & Groups->users->right click the user you want to delete and select delete.

Restart and it will automatically login you as adminstrator.

Pawan :thumbup

is there a script that we could use in an unattended install that would automatically rename the administrator account to something else?

is there a script that we could use in an unattended install that would automatically rename the administrator account to something else?

Are you looking to rename the Administrator account specifically, or would creating a different admin user and disabling the Administrator account suit your purposes equally well?

The method I use to install my Windows provides the latter, creates my personal user account and the built-in Administrator account gets disabled.

Interesting. I've got a problem that is somewhat related to having just the Administrator account. For some reason, if you have just the Administrator account with a password, it won't automatically login for me.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=54047

If I can somehow exploit the OOBEINFO.INI file and create just a "local" account without a password, would this work?

• 2 weeks later...

Are you looking to rename the Administrator account specifically, or would creating a different admin user and disabling the Administrator account suit your purposes equally well?

The method I use to install my Windows provides the latter, creates my personal user account and the built-in Administrator account gets disabled.

That is also a good suggestion, however, I wish to just rename the Administrator to whatever I choose (more specfically, "JuMz") and have no other accounts exist. I saw a batch on the forums once but I can no longer find it!!! Any help?

That is also a good suggestion, however, I wish to just rename the Administrator to whatever I choose (more specfically, "JuMz") and have no other accounts exist. I saw a batch on the forums once but I can no longer find it!!! Any help?

I remember reading about this somewhere on here too, not too long ago. Although, with my utter lack of time-sense, it could have been 6 months ago and I wouldn't know it.

I'll see if I can find it, and post a link if I do.

Edit: There is a forum thread discussing it here. Not sure if this is the same thread I was reading before or not, and still haven't found a solution as good as the one I read previously. I will keep looking.

Edit2: Found a few more threads discussing this, but nothing that strikes me as being the same thing I read a while ago. Most threads reference either one or a pair of programs, renuser and netuser. Another solution presented uses VBScript to rename the account.

Just for reference, here are a few of the more detailed threads I browsed:

Oh, and in the interest of complete exposure, I double-checked, and the method I have been using does not, in fact, disable the administrator account. Looks like I will be adopting one of these methods myself. ;)

Hope this helps.

Edited by Cartoonite

Here's the fun part.  Open your control panel, and go to the users section.  Since you're the Administrator, you can delete everyone else!  I love it!

This never works for me. Even if I'm logged on as the Administrator, I can never delete the other account that XP forced me to make during installation.

You can't do it in User Accounts but you can in Local Users and Groups.

I remember reading about this somewhere on here too, not too long ago. Although, with my utter lack of time-sense, it could have been 6 months ago and I wouldn't know it.

I'll see if I can find it, and post a link if I do.

Edit: There is a forum thread discussing it here. Not sure if this is the same thread I was reading before or not, and still haven't found a solution as good as the one I read previously. I will keep looking.

Edit2: Found a few more threads discussing this, but nothing that strikes me as being the same thing I read a while ago. Most threads reference either one or a pair of programs, renuser and netuser. Another solution presented uses VBScript to rename the account.

Just for reference, here are a few of the more detailed threads I browsed:

Oh, and in the interest of complete exposure, I double-checked, and the method I have been using does not, in fact, disable the administrator account. Looks like I will be adopting one of these methods myself. ;)

Hope this helps.

Thank you for everything, you have been by far the most helpful!

Thank you for everything, you have been by far the most helpful!

You're welcome. It's nice to know the work is appreciated; it makes it all the more worthwhile. Not to mention the fact that researching this revealed an unknown flaw in my current "solution" to the problem.

Only thing left now is to find a solution that will work off of any CD (ie: no additional apps or modification of Windows CD files required) and that does not require any VBScripting. Either that, or I will have to learn to VBScript so that I can write my own, or at least understand/modify those posted by others so I will feel comfortable using them. ;)

I was pretty sure the thread I read some time ago had just such a solution, but, unfortunately, I wasn't able to find it. If you do find something that fits the criteria, please post back.

Hi When it ask you to pick a username pick System

Given it's placement in the thread, this post is a little unclear. What effect does entering a username of "System" at the create user prompt have? I'm guessing it will refrain from creating a second user and log you in directly as Administrator, but I thought that was the purpose of "local," as described here:

During the "mini setup" after install, when it asks for a username, just type in "local" (without the quotes) for the first user name and the only user will be the local admin.

Are the two interchangeable? I recently upgraded my PC and my VPC software has decided it doesn't like the concept of a dual-core processor, so I am unfortunately unable to run a test for myself at this time.

Login to Administrator account, go run->compmgmt.msc->Local User & Groups->users->right click the user you want to delete and select delete.

So much stress and the answer is there .. In addition to delete the user files for the old account you can goto computer properties, advanced, user profiles and the username that you deleted will be unknown .. hopefully you copy what you need b4 you delete ..

I cant wait to try this out

If you run your pc under the Administrator account (any account with administrator provledges) the computer is vunerable and that's what causes most of the errors that are posted on these forums ;) Create a user that has only "User" or if you really need it (which you don't) "Power User" and then when installing software or whatever, just use the "Run As" function to run it with Administrator privledges.