Login screen problem

rholden

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can sort out this problem with XPize for me... When I installed XPixe 4 Beta 2, on reboot, all I got was a blank screen with a cursor on it, where the login screen once was, and I can't get anywhere. Turning the PC off & on again, it went to the old-style login where the user name must be typed in. Before installation, because I am the only user of the computer, I didn't need to log in at all. Also the screen saver will not install it seems. The same happens with XPize 3.2, but on installation it gives me an error that it can't install the login exe or the screensaver file. Why can't it install these files? I have closed all programs down before installation using SmartClose, so I wouldn't have thought that any other programs could be preventing these files be written. But then, I could be wrong...

Thanks for any help.

hello, i created the logon screen, for xpize 4 beta 2 and above

The logon screen is not the problem, logon screens are named logonui.exe

login.exe is another program probably for the doain login type.

Are you installing it on an admin account, what xp version are you using?

hey iam also facing this problem sometimes.

its ok with normal mode.but when i boot my system in to safe mode,my admin account and other acounts r not visible.i can select them using tab buttons by trial and error.

pls check this also.and im using v 3.2

Sorry, the actual name of the file it won't let me install during installation of XPize 3.2 is actually XPize_logon.exe. XPize.scr also won't install; the message for both is "Error opening file for writing". I am on a admin account, and I'm running XP Home SP2.

I don't know what the names of the files not installing in XPize 4 beta 2 are, because the installer doesn't tell me! But considering the same thing is happening in both versions, I assume it's the same files.

Edited by rholden

I also have got a question regarding the login screen:

Your login is in english language (welcome), but I want german language there. How can I modify the texts?

I could even give you the german translations for the login screen, so you can change it and send it to me. I can't modify the translation of your .exe file. :(

Edited by Dynaletik

My logon screen is only used in xpize 4 beta 2. it will be in all later releases of 4 and beyond too.

It sounds like a 3.2 problem. So download xpize 4.0 beta 2 at

xpero.msfn.org

I havent had any problems with xpize 4.0 beta 2.

i would unintsall xpize 3.2 then install 4.0 beta 2.

also if you wish not to do so here is what you can do to restore your system

but you must have your windows xp cd and the full install file of sp2 extracted on your harddrive

anyway go to start>run> type in exactly

sfc /scannow

make note of the space between the "/" and "sfc"

this will scan for modifed system files and replace them with the originals

this will not undo any hotfixes or service packs.

Hope this helps.

The xpize 4.0 beta 2 and beyond have my logon screen. which is totally different than xpize 3.2.

That seems quite strange, because I get the same thing happening when I install either 3.2 or 4.0 beta 2. It's just that it's only for 3.2 that the installer tells me somethings up. But the same black screen thing happens if I try either (and I have been uninstalling them properly, using system restore). Maybe it's not those files not installing that's causing the problem. Oh well, it's not that big a deal or anything, it just seemed curious. Thanks for trying to help anyway!

The process XPize takes when installing the logon is:

1) Copies XPize_Logon.exe to system32

2) Add the reg entry HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon" "UIHost" "XPize_Logon.exe"

And that's for the screensaver:

1) Copies Xpize.scr to system32

2) Add reg entry HKCU "Control Panel\Desktop" "SCRNSAVE.EXE" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\XPize.scr"

So, or your download was corrupted or there is an app or process preventing these actions.

You know, that the System Restore only restores the Registry not anything else, do you?!

@SevenAlive sfc /scannow would also restore all the files, which were modified by XPize then. Wouldn't it?!

Not true, system restore recovers any files that were changed/deleted since the restore point was created, lets say you create a restore point and that time you have an essay calle essay.doc, a few days later it gets deleted for w/e reason. IF you use system restore it recover that essay.

Lets not get confused with word's recovery feature.

system file checker yes will restore system files, thus undoing xpize changes.

• 2 weeks later...