New CPU Chip

Jeremy

u need to reinstall windows, windows saves ur hardware configuration and if u change something then u may have to reinstall windows

This guy is right, you will need to Re-install - the fact that the PC boots proves that the chip is working, but XP saves Hardware config, so just run a re-install :)

But make sure you use a normal XP disk NOT dell's installation CD.

and just to prove our story, type hardware change on windows XP on google :)

Edited by Devil_666

Uhm, BIOS doesn't load all the way and I put my hardware back to how I had it before the PC messed up and said "diskette drive 0 seek failure" so I put in the floppy and now no errors BUT it won't let me into Setup or anything. I press F2 on the keyboard but it beeps more. Is it because the CPU gets too hot?

If anyone knows any BIOS tricks let me know.

Jeremy the easiest thing to do at this point is to reflash the memory if possible. You said your old system was a Dell and you used the mobo out of the Dell. The mobo is propietery meaning if your new case came with a power supply it will not be entirely compatable with mobo. Try using power supply from your Dell just to see if this fixes your problem. If it does all is good if not you may have to search further.

The only "brand name" computers that are not as properiety are Gatway and sometimes they may act a little funny when using non Gateway parts.

But anyway try your Dell power supply

"diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure"

drive 0 means that it is ur hdd, i dont know why it says diskette unless dell likes to mess around with stuff, ur hdd might have gone then

and are u able to use ur xp cd? and like i said before u will need to reinstall

I can't get anywhere when I turn this thing on, though. BIOS load doesn't go all the way and I can't do anything with the keyboard. Use the Dell PSU? Didn't think of that... will let you know, thanks.

Edit - Tried other PSU, same issue. The only difference in hardware is the CPU. My old was Northwood, this one is Prescott, what else can I do?

Edited by Jeremy

I can't get anywhere when I turn this thing on, though. BIOS load doesn't go all the way and I can't do anything with the keyboard. Use the Dell PSU? Didn't think of that... will let you know, thanks.

my last posting about this issue:

YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING/MODIFYING ANY DELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only the separate parts including de cpu, memory and so on, WITHOUT THE PSU can you use to build a new computer.

I am a little man on this specific issue but the best of.............. has broken their heads on it so don't think that you can do what nobody else could do!

hope that's clear but..................................................................................... my hope will be false?

Edited by janjansen

So if the original CPU is Northwood and the new one is Prescott, that's not going to work? I mean, the PC starts and BIOS loads... almost. Maybe it gets too hot? Like I think I said before, I have a new heatsink but I don't know if it will fit. I tried and I couldn't get it to go down all the way.

Sorry Jeremy I am at a complete loss. I repair computers and have come across many issues both sofware and hardware.

Can you clear cmos and reflash it? Clean memory sticks with a pencil erasor on the brass ends?

I wish you the best and when you resolve could you post how you did it so if I come across this I can repair it.

Thanks

Yeah, I can live with waiting longer if it means I'll end up with a sweet DFI mobo. :thumbup

And I won't be using that old Dell PSU since it uh.... exploded. :whistle:

Guess I'll be using my girlfriend's PC for another month or so.

Edited by Jeremy