windows millennium

dirtwarrior

dirt... I may have the solution to your problem:

1) You can get a boot disk right here, and burn it with Nero Express or Nero 6 Ultra Edition with the "Bootable CD" option, and Nero will intergrate the Me Boot-Disk to your new Bootable MSMillenium disk.

2) Or this might help a bit. I have a bootable OEM MSMillenium CD. (Actually...I have two of them. One has the bootable interface without the fixed precopy1.cab, and one that has the fixed precopy1.cab, without the bootable interface). Anyway if you can find a program that can strip the bootdisk off of the CD, send me the link and I'll send the boot-files to you from yousendit.com from my Bootable OEM MSMillenium CD.

If I exatly find out how, dirt...I'll PM you and we can deal with it there.

Edited by mitchellovision

You still have email addy. Thanks. With the first suggestion I tried this and when it reboots during install and boots back up the installation starts fresh, this is not good :no: will never get it installed that way. With win iso you may be able to extract the boot files from millennium.

I made a batch file where millennium will install without serial# though.

This is a pretty easy one.

You boot from a floppy, with something that passes boot to a cdrom. bcdw has a loader (which lives in a fat system to boot), which allows you to boot first to a cdrom, and the default is a hard drive.

Another trick is to use jo.sys from http://www.nu2.nu/ . This simulates the press any key to boot from cd. It goes into the floppy image.

You then tell it to boot from cd the first time, and in subsequent reboots, it boots first to the cdrom, and because the key isn't pressed, from the hard drive.

Works a treat!

if its the original cd you can boot from it... it doesnt matter if its upgrade... the only thing with the upgrade cd is that it will ask you to insert previous version of windows to confirm that you had it....

It is of course, possible to make a new cdrom, using an upgrade copy of Windows 9x (including ME), and install these to a blank hard drive. Windows will not find the previous version, and ask you for where the setup files are. You can even include these on the same cd-rom!

I have a cdrom, with the following versions of Windows on it:

\cdrom\msdos = 6.22
  \cdrom\win311
  \cdrom\wfw311
  \cdrom\reskit  = dos / win / wfw reskits
  \dos   =  same DOS as boot disk = DOS 7.10
  \patches = addins, patches for specific versions.
  \plus!\win95
  \plus!\win98
  \reskit  =  win98 reskit
  \win95  = vers 0950
  \win95b = vers 1214
  \win98  =  vers 2222
  \win9x  =  vers 3000

When you install an upgrade, it asks you for the previous version: so you point it at something like \win95 or \cdrom\wfw311 [the latter is *much* faster].

If you keep the rest of the layout similar (eg have the same tree as the Win95/98, except the drivers tree), it all fits neatly onto one cdrom! Programs that expect to find utilities in certian places will continue to do so. There is still *some* room for drivers.

If you have a Step-Up disk, rather than an upgrade, then this will require an already installed Win98 or something, and the file set is somewhat incomplete. None the same, you can still do the trick above.

Note the same trick can makes installing the service-pack 2.02 and MDGx's 98toME package without having to swap diskettes.