XP Pro SP2 vs. XP Pro SP2 Student Version

ringfinger

I have an old college buddy that is still in college (LOL), he hooked me up with a copy of XP SP2 from the store on campus. Little did I know it was the student version. Anyone know the differences between the two versions? Pros/Cons? TIA. :)

It depends on the student version you get and what their school gives to them. My student version for my school is a full version but it can only be activated on one machine. That is the only difference. However if I buy a new computer I can call them and activate it as well.

As for performance or anything of greatness.. NO.. there is no difference.. Just a different licensing model.

The one provided by my university (which i downloaded from e-Academy website, in an encrypted exe that extracts the iso) is a full version, it installs on clean systems, and the the WinInfo 2.4 (the old tool to check windows 2000 expiration) says it will not expire, so i guess it'sa real full version.

The download edition is Windows XP Pro SP1a, i integrated SP2 in it, then i tried to compare contents of the CDs, the university has few more files (ATIxxxx.dl_, which seems to be ati drivers, who knows), and the Drivers.cab is few mb's bigger..

Price? computer engineering students get it for free :), it is also possible to get server 2003 (all flavours), visual studio 2003 pro, and many other tools...

Thanks university !!!!

Edited by ramik