IE 6 1/2 for Win98? (Stealing from IE7)

I haven't dived into the details of IE and I'm sure others have more insight on this subject.

Now, obviously IE7 will not work in 98 (heck it's not even going to work in Win2000) but I was wondering if IE is modulized well enough that parts of IE7 could be "borrowed" and a frankenstein IE 6 1/2 could be created for Win98.

Although I'm guessing there are more Firefox/Opera fanatics out there in the Win98SE SP2 world than IE people so perhaps I won't get many people biting on this dream.

:thumbup follow that dream son. I think thats a great idea,i just installed ie7b1 on my xpsp2 box and it looks good,tab browsing etc etc,and i,d love to see it implemented into a win 9x version. reminds me of a guy who adapted windows media player 7.1 to work in win 95 and it did i tryed it so i,m sure someone more code savy trying it now.as far as firefox opera etc. i like them but dont like downloading all the plugins ,where ie is good to go.i believe you could in corporate the browseui.dll and tab fuction but probably not the phishing and popup blocker but who knows once a man figure how to add me files to 98se his name ?the legend mgdx . Edited by timeless

Oh I highly doubt anybody will be able to "steal" the tab feature out of IE7 and interject it into IE6. This is because MS had to recreate all of IE's controls (back button, forward, etc) in order to work in a per tab enviroment, and I'm sure all of this is mashed into the main .EXE.

What I was hoping to see are maybe some CSS and HTML rendering improvements (aren't these stored in various DLLs?) make their way into IE6.

And of course the new security features of IE7, such as the new ability to run IE7 in a "non administrator" mode even though you are admin, isn't even possible on XP, much less 2000 or 98. As this feature inherits from the OS itself.

Perhaps I should have called this thread IE 6 1/10th as the more I think about it, very, if any, IE7 updates can be snuck into IE6.

I see no chance to use any IE7 component in W98 environment.

All IE7 DLLs have many unresolved references to many essential dlls, like kernel32.dll, advapi32.dll, ntdll.dll etc.

For example, mshtml32.dll has the following unresolved references:

ADVAPI32.DLL:

GetTraceEnableFlags

GetTraceEnableLevel

GetTraceLoggerHandle

RegisterTraceGuidsW

UnregisterTraceGuids

TraceEvent

KERNEL32.DLL

GetUserDefaultUILanguage

GetSystemWindowsDirectoryW

DelayLoad FailureHook

USER32.DLL

AllowSetForegroundWindow

SHELL32.DLL

SHGetFolderPathW

SHGetFolderPathA

or shdocvw.dll has unresolved references to

OLE32.DLL

CoWaitForMultipleHandles

CoAllowSetForegroundWindow

SHELL32.DLL

SHExtractIconsW

SHParseDisplayName

SHPathPrepareForWriteW

SHBindToParent

etc. etc....

Petr

I'm sure I will find a file or 2 to "frankenstein-ize" [i like that :lol:] and "transplant" into 98SE/ME, but I'm waiting for IE7 final release.

Currently I'm using these files from:

- 2003 SP1:

MSHTML.TLB

MSHTMLED.DLL

MSHTMLER.DLL

- IE 6.0 SP2 [errr... XP SP2 ;)]:

ADVPACK.DLL

AMCOMPAT.TLB

ASCTRLS.OCX

BROWSELC.DLL

NSCOMPAT.TLB

PNGFILT.DLL

SHDOCLC.DLL

with 98SE [with SP 2.0.1 + 98SE2ME + WMP9 XP SP2].

Details here:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#KRM9S

IE 7 beta 1 (7.0.5112.0) contains:

MSHTML.TLB - no exports/imports, standalone file

MSHTMLED.DLL - unrsolved import DelayLoadFailureHook from kernel32.dll

MSHTMLER.DLL - no exports/imports, standalone file

ADVPACK.DLL - Advanced INF Package Installer, not used by installed IE

AMCOMPAT.TLB - not present in IE7

ASCTRLS.OCX - Active Setup Controls, not usd by installed IE

BROWSELC.DLL - not present in IE7

NSCOMPAT.TLB - not present in IE7

PNGFILT.DLL - PNG plugin image decoder, IE7 contains version 6.0.5112.0

SHDOCLC.DLL - not present in IE7

Not too much files for Frankensteinization...

Petr

It never crossed my mind that DLLs could be stolen from XP SP2 and/or 2003 SP1. This list is sublime, a shame the webpage is a mess.
PNGFILT.DLL - PNG plugin image decoder, IE7 contains version 6.0.5112.0
I would love to find out if putting this DLL on a Win98 (or 2000 or XP) box would resolve the PNG issues (most noteably alpha channels) in PNGs in IE6 (and 5.x).

Anybody tried it yet? Anybody care to email me the DLL, I'm daring?

Travis Owens @ hotmail . com

(remove spaces)

Edited by Rhelic

It never crossed my mind that DLLs could be stolen from XP SP2 and/or 2003 SP1.  This list is sublime, a shame the webpage is a mess.

Anybody tried it yet?  Anybody care to email me the DLL, I'm daring?

IE 7.0 beta 1 link now gone to 404 hell. :( [thanks eidenk]

But as far as I know IE7b1 is posted on various torrents sites: google 2 find it.

Note that IE7b1 requires MS Genuine Advantage successful detection + 32-bit Windows XP SP2, English only.

If you are referring to my web site [ http://www.mdgx.com/ ] when you say "a shame the webpage is a mess", please post here your suggestions/tips/ideas/etc and what you think is wrong with my site design, so I can improve my site, especially if you have any experience in web site design.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MDGx

Yeah, man, I've never seen such a well ordered, understandable collection put together all in one place and made available free for everyone.

Here's one vote for a great website design!

And, I just found your incredible Sci-fi collection there. All these years and I never noticed that before! And I was proud of my puny collection.

(I wish you had something to say about my other thread regarding my Windows Me updating experience though. Anything about that WU weirdness regarding the WMP security update? Or, about what might have happened with the IE Cumulative update not having the file versions you described there? I botched up a few things because I wasn't seeing what was described. Like I said, Windows Me fixed whatever I did-I think. C'mon, reply there or maybe send me another email. I'm one of the good guys!)

Yeah, man, I've never seen such a well ordered, understandable collection put together all in one place and made available free for everyone.

Here's one vote for a great website design!

And, I just found your incredible Sci-fi collection there.  All these years and I never noticed that before!  And I was proud of my puny collection.

(I wish you had something to say about my other thread regarding my Windows Me updating experience though.  Anything about that WU weirdness regarding the WMP security update? Or, about what might have happened with the IE Cumulative update not having the file versions you described there?  I botched up a few things because I wasn't seeing what was described.  Like I said, Windows Me fixed whatever I did-I think.  C'mon, reply there or maybe send me another email.  I'm one of the good guys!)

Thanks a lot for your vote of confidence. ;)

I'll take a look at your ME post asap.

What is the URL?

PS:

Glad u liked my Sci-Fi page. ;)

BTW: Have u seen my Sci-Fi, Fantasy + Comic book based Films page:

http://www.mdgx.com/film.htm

Edited by MDGx

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51909

There it is. I didn't know whether to send you another email with my results or post here so my experience might be helpful to others. I figured the latter was best. Heh, since it wasn't in your thread though, I guess it didn't reach my target!

I've been wondering for days whether I had breached some etiquette rule or something, so no one was replying! He, he, I guess I should chill.

C'mon, reply there or maybe send me another email.  I'm one of the good guys!)
Are there any bad ones ? Are you desperate of grabbing some attention ?
I've been wondering for days whether I had breached some etiquette rule or something, so no one was replying! He, he, I guess I should chill.

Good Idea.

As for many of your recent posts they are almost unreadable because they are too long and in one single segment, that might be the reason. It was for me.

13. Do not make extra-long posts, rambling for ages together. Keep it such that a quick 10-second scan of your post is enough to understand what you're saying. If you think your post might get too long, use segmenting into numbered points, and CODE tags, etc.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=39016

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51909

There it is.  I didn't know whether to send you another email with my results or post here so my experience might be helpful to others.  I figured the latter was best.  Heh, since it wasn't in your thread though, I guess it didn't reach my target! 

I've been wondering for days whether I had breached some etiquette rule or something, so no one was replying!  He, he, I guess I should chill.

I've whipped up a quick answer to your questions here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=51909...ndpost&p=365287

Hope this helps.

eidenk,

Yeah, Bob Proffit over at the Cnet boards once told me the same thing. So I try to avoid needing to ask him anything since that's how I write! And if I do, I walk on eggshells, afraid to express what might actually help with the solutions. So, I'd often get responses that wouldn't relate to actually fixing the problem. Needless to say I haven't bothered going there in awhile, except to laugh at some of the posts and feeling sorry for some of the poor folks asking for help.

In order to include what I think might be needed information I try, in as concise a manner as I can muster, to write good paragraphs that include the information. And I do attempt to use a little humor and real life coorelations to make the reading a bit more enjoyable.

He, he, English teachers used to love me in school but I see that perhaps I would fail at letters to the editor! The teachers would call it genius like natural writing ability, and magazine editors would call it too much work to read.

And, yeah, I think there are bad posters, just like there are bad computer users. You know the kind. They allow their machines to become infested with malware and when you try to remove it they get angry that I want to remove their favorite programs (the ones that come with the infestations) to do it. Then they post with their problems and bash the people trying to help them.

I had actually communicated before doing my Windows Me install seperately by email with MDGx. For my results, I figured my experience might help others if it were in a public post. When I got no response, yes I did freak a little, but it was only caused by my posting in the general 9x forum so MDGx hadn't seen it.

Heh, heh. If I ever write a 5,000 page novel I'm sure I don't have a customer here, eh?