Microsoft vs GoogLE

jason_

Google could definitely come out on top in the free mail account category (atleast against microsoft and hotmail)

Recently, I set up a new hotmail account because I was bored of my old account name (I've had it for about 6 years). I had used outlook express with my old account almost the entire time that I used the old account and I had no complaints about the account.

But when I tried to set up the new Hotmail account with Outlook express it said that hotmail no longer allows accounts to be accessed with outlook express. This is a very drastic move on Microsoft's part because Gmail offers free pop access.

Also Gmail was just released to the public recently and this move could be a catostrophe for microsoft.

Just another case of microsoft trying to get the most money out of its efforts as it can.

(on a side note, i dont think to many people are using all of the space they are offered in gmail. i have about 90 emails on gmail and i am using 0% of my space. i think google is banking on the idea that people arent going to use all the space they offer)

@Larrylim We make a big fuss about google because they rock and do everything for free. (IMO)

Its got nothing to do with where they are on some market scale

Everything google has made is so simple and free, and very useful

Web Search, Images, Video (Upload and searching) , Gmail, Desktop search, sattelite images, an a hell of alot more!

And once again it all free!!!

Google should make a linux distro called "Googux" with every google program built in

I heard of a friend which knows this kind of things that Google will release a linux distro. Only Google can bring linux to the desktop so i hope they will make a distro.

Ok... In my opinion you're all acting paranoid. Google isn't that big in domestic grounds, that article sounds as if it was making connections which aren't there.

Why is everyone so afraid of what Google is making? When Microsoft launched its tentacles over the computer world no one seemed to mind, I remember when the latest thing to do was to have a hotmail account.

We're forgetting one detail, Google is mainly used by Internet users who spend more than 4 hours a day on a computer, the normal domestic user finds Google to be complicated, Google is more attractive to professionals and hard core internet users and not your avarage Joe.

Just because each Gmail account can have up to 2GB doesn't mean they have 2GB reserved on their server for every account made, that'd just be ridiculous. If you only use 10MB then you're only taking up 10MB of their disk space. Nobody actually uses 2GB.

And I'll tell you where their money comes from - ADVERTISING. Google is one of the biggest ad companies and most of their products are adware. The thing is they know how to advertise. Simple, plain text ads with links, that blend into the web page, that people don't mind seeing. No flashy obnoxious banners, no 4MB flash movies with sound that follow your mouse around the screen, no viruses that worm their way into your HD, spawn craploads of ads and spyware and make your system unusable. Most ad-blockers don't even block Google ads because unlike most types of ads, people don't mind them. Google does things right and I would love to see them try their hand at an OS.

Now I'm not saying Google is perfect and I wouldn't be surprised to find out they're spying on us like hell. But you must admit they're simply superior to at least 99% of their competition.

Also: Hotmail is the worst email service ever. Period.

Google is the store for most information. It wouldn't be surprising to know that some google crawler has your credit card information stored on the server.

Ditto to M$. How do you know that Microsoft isn't visiting your computer and gathering information?

Ah we are getting paranoid over here.

Google is the store for most information. It wouldn't be surprising to know that some google crawler has your credit card information stored on the server.

Ditto to M$. How do you know that Microsoft isn't visiting your computer and gathering information?

Ah we are getting paranoid over here.

Then why are we concentrating on programs which you can install? What about windows itself, a big piece of junk spyware all together lol, just kidding... but who knows :ph34r:

Gbrowser.com domain has a owner... Google :whistle:

I guess you heard about the rumours  that Google is working on its own web browser which is going to be called GBrowser. If you check www.gbrowser.com domain, you will see that it was taken by Google company. Apart from that, in one of my old articles, I informed you that Google bought an instant messaging company which has a messenger that supports multiple protocols such as YIM, AIM, ICQ and IRC.  According to this information, we can easily say that there is a probality that Google Messenger will support multiple protocols. So, it will Google make easily gain fans who will make Google Messenger their primary messaging platform. So, I think this information is enough. Here are the screenshots which are tell much more than these words;

Gbrowser which is rumoured to be called GoogleSuite

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/9803/gsuite7xh.jpg

Google Messenger which is rumoured to be called GeeeM

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6227/geeem3sa.jpg

Well, wonderful huh? Well, there is one point that you should kknow that they screenshots can be fake

Edited by vando2k

Found some more info on Google OS:

It is based on GNU/Linux with a HURD/Googled kernel and it is supposed to come in three releases: Embedded, Portable and Corporate. This OS basically relies on the idea of a Remote-OS: the kernel and the boot components are loaded in a chip or in a proper 2GB usb key, while all the remaining apps will be downloaded from a secure Google server. The LSI chip has been made for an easy integration in some next-gen motherboards, making possible the creation of Google-based machines which will be able to act as a cluster node and share the load of work. The USB device, instead, will let users boot their favourite system directly from the key (and that’s quite obvious). The data will be encrypted with a public GPGP key and made safe from possible abuses. Rumours tell that the system will be able to seek for local and remote devices and create a dedicated storage area on the user’s HD (as some Live Linux Distro does). The third option, called corporate, will let companies install a local cabinet in order to avoid waste of band. The pre-installed applications are absolutely minimal and will only consist of a File Manager, a spreadsheet, a text editor, a schedule and the Google Suite containing e-mail client, browser and IM. The system was tested with success on a Pentium IV 2.0 Ghz 256 mb RAM: the boot was fast, easy and the most part of the connected devices were automatically detected and installed. The XML- based menus seemed to be pretty familiar and easy-to-use. The tried build was the 1381 (just like the main Win NT4 release!). Result? A bit buggy but extremely close to a proper Release Candidate.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/000848.html

http://www.kottke.org/05/08/googleos-webos