straight vs cross-over

Straight means that the cable's wire run straight through, while cross over means that the transmission wires are crossed over to the reception end and the reception wires are crossed over to transmission end.

The is no difference in speed, it's just a method of communicating. It depends on the hardware. To connect a computer or modem to a switch/hub/router, you use straight. To connect two computers to each other, you use a crossover cable.

ok plz check these operations

to connect

PC----------->switch------->straight or CrossOver

Modem ----->switch-------> CrossOver

PC----------->Modem------>CrossOver

PC----------->PC----------->CrossOver

is it right??

A straight cable is for hooking up two components that aren't the same, a computer to a router,switchpr hub. A crossover cable connects two similar items, computers(nic to nic),router to router and so on. The difference in the two is pinout of the cable ends or plugs they are both made out of the same cable and use the same ends.

Network communications really only run on 2 of the 4 pairs of wires(orange and green) orange is send and green is receive. for like devices to communicate. it needs to be reversed.. this is why you would use a crossover.. becasue it crosses over the wires

The only physical difference between a striaght through and a crossover are you switch wire 1 and 2 with 3 and 6

1(orange/white)

2(orange)

3(green/white)

6(green)

1 becomes 3

2 becomes 6

bbsm_lvl2spprt3.gif

Edited by chilifrei64

to connect

PC----------->switch------->straight or CrossOver

Modem ----->switch-------> CrossOver

PC----------->Modem------>CrossOver

PC----------->PC----------->CrossOver

is it right??

PC > Switch = Straight

Modem > Switch = Straight

PC > Modem = Straight

PC > PC = CrossOver

As said above, a crossover cable attches two devices of the same type.

thnx imric

but if u try to connect PC to switch with crossover cable it will work in good condition.(u can see my first post).

and i want to ask about the router is it the modem?

and how to connect it to PC and to switch?

thnx :hello:

For PC to Switch, you want to use a straight-through cable..(depending on the switch, it can detect the cable type and the node on the other side and adjust accordingly) but we wont talk about that

Router to modem -> crossover

PC to switch -> straight through

Router to modem -> crossover

PC to switch -> straight through

Umm... isn't a router to modem a straight through cable?

To put some clarity into the discussion - if you're using any external hardware to setup your network (switch, router, hub - we'll just call it a switch from here on), you just need straight through cables to connect all the devices to your switch. The only time that you'd need a crossover cable is if you are connecting two comptuers directly together (ethernet card to ethernet card).

So....

Switch---> Anything = Straight through

PC---> Modem = Straight through

PC--->PC = Crossover

Most switches today are capable of using either a straight-through or crossover cable to connect to other devices. That's why you were able to use a crossover cable between your switch and PC without any problems. For the most part though, it's easier to find straight through cables, so I'd suggest just using them. If the connection doesn't work with straight-through cables, then try using a crossover.

I kinda thought the same thing so i checked mine and sure enough it was a crossover.. i think it depends on the hardware and what type of modem you have..

Have you tried running it with a straight cable? It's probably your router that's dealing with the crossover cable for you.

hi,

i think a crossover cable between two computers supports full duplex communication.

Where as a straight thru between a pc & a hub or a switch supports half duplex communication.

vicky