slipstream Office 2003 SP1 & rebuild CD

marek722

I just wanted to add I made my firt attempt to install this on my pc, rather than VM, yesterday and the software didn't install. This iwas most likely caused from having services and/or programs removed which office needs to run. (I forgot to write down the error :realmad: )

Also, I am not able to make an admin install point with this version, and I think I will have to manually install my key, not sure if it is going to work in the mst file.

I'm going to test again tonight, I have a bunch of other stuff to fix on top of this problem.

-----EDIT

Just tried a new install. Office began loading, and rolled back without any messages. Going to try again when I get a chance.

Edited by FaceMouth

@Historic - Would you mind clarifying some of the orignal instructions?

Also, do you get the option to save the cache at the end of the install? If I can find a method that does that I would be very very very happy.

Please specify on what topic do need further instructions. Glad to be of help.

I followed the original guide to the letter for both, sp1 integration and sp2 integration.

But with the diffrence that I replaced the original setup.exe from ALL office setup's (off,frontpage,visio,project..etc.) with the enhanced setup.exe available in office toolbox at microsoft office resources admin page.

Made a custom boot menu, from "Autoplay Media Studio v4" by indigorose.

Left the original setup.ini files as is.

In autoplay setup launcher, added the command-line parameters passed to setup.exe with sn=xxxxxx and enforcecache=true, user=username organization=orgname

Plus I integrated, Office sounds, and Remove hidden data into the original office setup. So that it is installed along with the main office package. And created the XML cache files for office sounds and RHD so that all the extra files too are also cached along with the main office.

Then corrected all the messed up md5 values in setup.ini and created 2 more ini files and respective folders for the proper installation,cache,and integration of rhd & sounds packages.

Setting the cabinet compression to max will make the full 5 cd's unable to be optimised on one cd, as each cabinet with the same content will have slightly different compressed cab's and cdimage will find the cab file content not equal, so size will shoot above 730mb.

post-30873-1129283995_thumb.jpg

I wrote this batch to delete unwanted files.

Just copy and paste in a "finish_slipstream.bat" file the following code and replace <path to original CD|folder> and <path to slipstreamed CD|folder> to suit your needs. Run the batch from a folder OUTSIDE the slipstreamed CD|folder and burn the slipstreamed version.

Example:

original Office CD in drive E, slipstreamed folder in d:\office

replace <path to original CD|folder> with e:\ <= ENDING SLASH NEEDED FOR ROOTS (DRIVES)

replace <path to slipstreamed CD|folder> with d:\office <= NO ENDING SLASH (FOLDERS)

run the batch from outside d:\office

@echo off

echo Removing useless Folders and Files

rem SUBST creates a temp. virtual HD for folders and files listing

rem This is needed to have the same path prefix on folders and files

rem when comparing the differences between the two versions

rem Creates folders and files lists of the original version

SUBST w: "<path to original CD|folder>"

DIR /A /AD /ON /B /S w:\ >CD_dirs.txt

DIR /A /A-D /ON /B /S w:\ >CD_files.txt

SUBST w: /D

rem Creates folders list of the slipstreamed version

SUBST w: "<path to slipstreamed CD|folder>"

DIR /A /AD /ON /B /S w:\ >CDSP2_dirs.txt

rem Finds and deletes folders not existing in the original version

FOR /f "tokens=*" %%i IN (CDSP2_dirs.txt) DO (

FIND /I "%%i" CD_dirs.txt >nul

If ErrorLevel 1 IF EXIST "%%i" RD /S /Q "%%i"

)

rem Creates remaining files list of the slipstreamed version

DIR /A /A-D /ON /B /S w:\ >CDSP2_files.txt

rem Finds and deletes remaining files not existing in the original version

FOR /f "tokens=*" %%i IN (CDSP2_files.txt) DO (

FIND /I "%%i" CD_files.txt >nul

If ErrorLevel 1 DEL /Q "%%i"

)

SUBST w: /D

rem Removes temp. files used

DEL CD*.txt

echo Finished!

pause

NOTE 1: if you have the W: drive letter already in use, change it in the batch code with someone free

NOTE 2: if you have any CD*.txt file in your folder running the batch they will be deleted, so rename them or back up somewhere before running the batch.

NOTE 3: the batch deletes EVERITHING inside the <path to slipstreamed CD|folder> not found in the <path to original CD|folder> (as needed), so if u have some folders inside DO A BACKUP COPY before running the batch.

Edited by tCP

Please specify on what topic do need further instructions. Glad to be of help.
Could we start with step 1? :lol:

It says 1. Copy the office 2003 to the hard disk (referred from now on as X:\office2003). Does that mean that you simply overwrite any duplicate entries from one CD to the next, so that you have one folder that contains all the files from the 5 CDs? Or do you do each CD one at a time, and then use the standard AIO methods? It's kinda unclear from the original guide.

I followed the original guide to the letter for both, sp1 integration and sp2 integration.

But with the diffrence that I replaced the original setup.exe from ALL office setup's (off,frontpage,visio,project..etc.) with the enhanced setup.exe available in office toolbox at microsoft office resources admin page.

Made a custom boot menu, from "Autoplay Media Studio v4" by indigorose.

Left the original setup.ini files as is.

In autoplay setup launcher, added the command-line parameters passed to setup.exe with sn=xxxxxx and enforcecache=true, user=username organization=orgname

That much I can understand... just making the final product a little fancier. ;)
Plus I integrated, Office sounds, and Remove hidden data into the original office setup. So that it is installed along with the main office package. And created the XML cache files for office sounds and RHD so that all the extra files too are also cached along with the main office.

Then corrected all the messed up md5 values in setup.ini and created 2 more ini files and respective folders for the proper installation,cache,and integration of rhd & sounds packages.

This sounds like customization outside of the guide. I might have a look at this once I get the basics working.
Setting the cabinet compression to max will make the full 5 cd's unable to be optimised on one cd, as each cabinet with the same content will have slightly different compressed cab's and cdimage will find the cab file content not equal, so size will shoot above 730mb.

If you don't set the cabinet compression to max (i.e. leave the , will the 5CDs optimize? You said that you got everything into 701MB and then 679MB at first (with the second using Project Client).

@tCP - Thanks! That makes things a little easier for cleaning up. :thumbup

Right guys.... thank you....

marek722... This is a great piece of code you're handing us here... :thumbup ... It took me while to get it through, iunno, not really reading the tutorial... lol... but i finaly managed to get my first updated Office 2003 MUI SP1 language pack running perfectly... using this method...

tCP... Dude i'll never thank ya enough for your little batch...lol... I can tell ya there's a lot to delete on a full MUI 6CD set... ;)

well i'll get working on the other 49 languages left... lol... Txs again...

Do the standard 1 cd at each time.

Follow the exact procedure as described, separately for each cd.

That is you'd have to repeat the full procedure 5 times for 5 office cd's.

Regarding cabinet compression, let me specify waht I experienced,

All integration was done initially on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition which has makecab.exe already present in system32 folder.

So after following the guide, I had 5 folders for 5 cd's which I ran through cdimage.exe with optimization enabled and the final size was above 730mb

Now I deleted everything and followed the guide again, but this time replaced the makecab.exe in system32 fodler with the one found in cabinet sdk kit. That is replaced new makecab with old one.

This time around the final size of 5 folders was more than last time BUT after running it through cdimage.exe the optimized size was 701mb.

This size was for Sp1.

To save myself trouble, followed the same guide once again for Sp2, with the old makecab.exe and the final optimized size from cdimage comes to 679mb. (With the old makecab.exe from cabinet sdk)

Hope this makes things clear.

Hmm.... Ok. I've got CD1 done and re-cabbed. I've got a total size of 399MB. Is this the same as what others have? I've attached a listing of my directory structure just to make sure that what I've got is what I'm supposed to have.

I'm still not able to get the cache to work. I've replaced the regular setup.exe with the enhanced setup to allow for the ENFORCECACHE=TRUE option, but when I copy all the files over into my VM and try to install, I still get no cached installer anywhere on my harddrive (i.e. the msocache folder doesn't exist and the option to save the cache is gone).

files.txt

ok, forgot to set email-notification on this topic ... :whistle:

here now answers to your questions:

post #5, Historic:

1) ocw10.msi

This one is not included in an admin install. Don't know why and how although I tried many option when making an admin install. The result is not making an admin install but applying the patches with MSI 3.1 to the copied files on your harddisk. A useful side-effect of this is the still working lokal caching (-> msocache). I hoped the updates would still work as well this way - there is still no solution now.

2) "If I perform an admin image first, then copy over the original unaltered .msi's wouldnt the folder structure be different in the target source?"

No, the folder structure is generated from the .msi's and so it should work (did I test this case? Sorry, can't remember)

3) "Although I have yet to try this, I would like to ask if this switch might work while doing the first admin image? msiexec.exe /a pro11.msi MSINODISABLEMEDIA=1"

This switch is necessary if you want to create a install CD/DVD as far as I understand it.

4) "Along with this can we also enable Office Online Update??"

Actually no. But this is a feature I will look for, don't know now where to alter the install.

post #6, Historic:

1) "One more note: Some of the cabinets in different products having the same name do not have the same content, therefore 'the beef stew method' of creating AIO (supposedly vol.msdn cd method) is out of the question here."

All code was especially written to allow 'the beef stew method'. Later more on this one.

post #7, Historic:

Just a hint about size: my experiments endeed in a 540MB 5in1sp1-iso (no hotfixes included).

post #9, Zxian:

1) "How do you go about clearning out all the files that aren't on the original CD?"

This is something for a batch-job :) saw a solution later in the thread.

2) "Also... do you just take the files that are on each CD and simply copy them over into your working directory, overwriting any existing files?"

the working directory is a temporary directory where you copy all CDs overwriting existing files except the setup.ini and .xml files under /FILES/SETUP. If you rename setup.exe to setupxxx.exe and setup.ini to setupxxx.ini (for each product own name) the setups will continue to work. Seems I forgot to mention this because I started with a AIO version.

post #18, FaceMouth:

"Also, I am not able to make an admin install point with this version, and I think I will have to manually install my key, not sure if it is going to work in the mst file."

Strange, tested it and worked fine with 5in1sp1 (no other hotfixes). Looked like the original. Seems that more testing is needed and a new version including a framework for the main routines to make all easier ...

post #20, tCP:

Thanks for this contribution - didn't test it, maybe i'll include it in a new version later

post #24, Zxian:

"the original guide made it seem like you could do everything at once..."

That's the idea behind all. More explanations in next post.

post #25, Zxian:

you need enough free space for caching and it is not working with a admin install as starting point. Didn't try the enhanced setup.exe so can't help with this. In setup.ini the following should be included:

[Cache]
; The cache section provides settings for caching the install source locally
; Value Default Description
; CDCACHE 2 Option to specify cache level
; [auto, 0, 1, 2]
; LOCALCACHEDRIVE <predefined> Option to specify a drive to cache
; the install source to
; DELETABLECACHE 1 Option to display UI to remove the
; cache at the end of setup [0,1]
; PURGE 0 Option to always remove cache at end of
; setup [0,1]
CDCACHE=auto
;LOCALCACHEDRIVE=C:\
DELETABLECACHE=1
PURGE=0

ok, next post with technical details ... this one is long enough :D

here we are again with few details about sort2cabs.js and the cabs on the original cds and how I understood the whole thing:

the cabs

On the original cds there are lot of duplicate cabs with same content. This way the products are easy to combine in different packages with more or less cds. Very important are the order of the cabbed files corresponding to the order in the different .msi files. That's the point sort2cabs.js is mostly dealing with.

'the beef stew method' for building an AIO cd only works because it is intended to work. As long as Microsoft is caring about this, sort2cabs.js will work (only very little error checking is included, sorry).

sort2cabs.js

When applying the patches .msi files get altered. New files are added and checksums corrected and badly some other things change (more investigation needed). Really ugly the whole thing gets because of new files which get already used sequence numbers thus destroying the possibility to compress files. This is what sort2cabs.js is supposed to repair :yes:

Shortly: sort2cabs collects all information about the files and there install order (sequence numbers). Because not all .msi use all files from the cabs, sort2cabs builds large arrays in memory and sorts the files using the order from all .msi. Some files appear in more than one .msi - those give hints how to sort. After that new sequence numbers are generated and written to the tables (you have to reimport with ORCA). This ordering is also used when generating the new cabs. Sounds easy, ins't it :P

other thoughts

I really don't know if the idea of just copying files to harddisk and then patching is intended. Somehow it works and gives better results than making an admin install. After I 'accidentally' found this way I belief it's the right one slipstreaming service packs to the install cd(s). Still some things get altered in the .msi files that prevent online updates and I hope to find them.

Optimizing the cd to find duplicate files is not really necessary when running sort2cabs.js on all parts together only once. In the result only setup.exe will be found as a duplicate file (if you rename it when copying files to harddisk). As stated before 5in1 with SP1 is only about 540MB.

One aspect is still unclear: in .xml you'll find a product id and source id. I belief those should change on a slipstreamed version to distinguish original from service pack versions - any one who knows more?

Ok, gonna track the topic now and give more answers ... and I'm planning to add more routines for easier slipstreaming ... if only the day had more than 24 hours :lol:

What I meant was that after all the 5 cd's are done re-cabbing and deleting extra files, the final size of all 5 folders is way above 700mb (Dont actually remember the exact size). So to burn all the 5 folders on 1 cd, the source folder containing all 5 folders is scanned for and optimized by cdimage.exe

Now I dont know if you made any change to sort2cab.js regarding the compression max-lzma or default ms-zip but for me the size is exactly 699mb for sp1 (And I put in autorun files etc.. and its 702mb and sizeon cd-disk is 703mb)

I cant figure out what I did wrong to not the size of 540mb like you did.

Any way this question is not important now as I already have an sp2 cd with final size of 679mb (incl. 2-3mb of autorun etc.)

Regarding the setup.xml, if you look at ocw10.xml, ocw11.xml and pro11.xml, get more idea that product id is the msi gui-id.

e.g. if pro11.msi has the product id of xyz when viewed through orca, the pro11.xml should have the product id of xyz.

similarly for owc10 and owc11.

Source id, is the same as product id, maybe a "close xml parsing" statement?

DownloadCode in .xml is the folder name inside msocache where the files will be cached. For my enhancements purposes, including rhd & sounds, kept the download-code the same as pro11 productid, so that files get cached in the same folder as office cache.

As For Proofing Tools vs sp2 edit with orca Directory table:

directory:

CWUBI86HelpMidFolder.3630F825_EED5_11D3_91FE_00AA0059F9F6

change defaultdir to:

.:WUBI86

directory:

WordBreakerFolder.31D1FCD7_F3CA_4A73_B34D_CA95CAEAB62E

change defaultdir to:

WORDBRKR