Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Hmmm just added them as PNP driver.... but maybe there has to be a hdd attached to the controller for XP to iniciate the install of this controller?
Is it possible, that you did not enable the Sil Controller within BIOS (because you don't use them actually)? In this case it is clear, that the driver has not been installed.

CU

Fernando

yes, I made sure they were enabled in BIOS first... will do another test in a few minuttes

Still gonna experiment with the x16 SATA install... I wanna see if I can recreate the first install that worked where I did NOT get the "Safely remove hardware" icon...will report back if I succeed
I don't think, that you can get a fresh install without that icon within the systray, but there should be a possibility to remove it after the end of the install.

In an other forum I have read, that the "Safely remove hardware" icon disappears, when the nForce P-ATA Controller is replaced by the MS Standard IDE Controller.

If you really want to try this, do the following:

a ) Go to the device manager and open the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

b ) Now open the"Properties" of the NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller and go to "update driver".

c ) Don't use the Internet and the automaticly search for the driver , then point to "not searching, but choosing yourself".

d ) Within the following window you should see 2 hardware devices, if you enable the option "show compatible devices".

e ) Choose the "Standard Dual ChannelPCI IDE Controler" and go to "next".

After a reboot the NVIDIA P-ATA Controller should be replaced by the MS Standard IDE Controller.

If the icon has not been removed and you want the nForce P-ATA driver back, replace the MS IDE driver by doing the same as above.

CU

Fernando

Ah yeah, that could be the reason indeed come to think of it....the first time I uninstalled the NVidia IDE drivers after reading posts where people recommended against installing them...

Just find it odd that they should have this influence on SATA hdds on SATA controllers.

I have no hdds on the IDE channels...only a DVD burner..

hello all, i'm back with a new nf4 16x mobo and this bsod. I add nvraid form nforce 16x package, nvraid is working in txtmode but get bsod at first xp boot. I try with an old working project that working on my old nf4 mobo = same bsod. But i'm on something good :D Xp boot correctly if i plug only my 2 disk from my raid0, if i add my third disk =bsod.

But i'm on something good :D Xp boot correctly if i plug only my 2 disk from my raid0, if i add my third disk =bsod.
Do you get a BSOD even when you reconnect the 3rd hdd after the successful installation of Windows XP?

By the way: I have mentioned this behaviour of non-RAID hdd's during the install within my guide in the first post of this thread ("Tips" at the beginning).

on my first attempt i have plug only my 2 raid disk and plug the third one before the first xp boot after install. The nvraid driver in nforce 16x package don't seem to be the same in classic packages, there no legacy folder. So i copy the content of sata-ide to sata-raid and integrate in to my cd like this. But i get bsod like i used to have before on nforce. So i remake the install with my working cd, all thing working without my third disk. I have install all drivers = all ok, hotplug the third disk to finish drivers setup all rocks !. But if i restart my comp with all driver pluggin i get bsod :no: I can use the sillicon stata port but they are located far away on my mobo.

on my first attempt i have plug only my 2 raid disk and plug the third one before the first xp boot after install. The nvraid driver in nforce 16x package don't seem to be the same in classic packages, there no legacy folder. So i copy the content of sata-ide to sata-raid and integrate in to my cd like this. But i get bsod like i used to have before on nforce. So i remake the install with my working cd, all thing working without my third disk. I have install all drivers = all ok, hotplug the third disk to finish drivers setup all rocks !. But if i restart my comp with all driver pluggin i get bsod :no: I can use the sillicon stata port but they are located far away on my mobo.
Either I did not really understand your reply or you did not read the question within my last post.

Now I have even more of them:

Before you reconnected your 3rd hdd, did you have a look into your device manager? Everything OK there?

Why did you need separate drivers for your 3rd hdd?

What sort of drivers did you install for the 3rd hdd?

Did you install them in safe mode?

What error message did you get?

Can you please give some informations about your system (mainboard and chipset, hdd details etc.)?

Edited by Fernando 1

my spec are: mobo an32-sli(nforce 4 16x) + a64 x2 3800+ and 1GB ram. I have 2 hitachi 80GB in raid0 on nvraid port 1/2 and 250 GB western. My nlited system work fine with the raid but get bsod every time i boot with my western disk plugin.

The first time i have install the system by the hand with a crap floppy and can get my comp work with all disk plug on nvraid port.

my spec are: mobo an32-sli(nforce 4 16x) + a64 x2 3800+ and 1GB ram. I have 2 hitachi 80GB in raid0 on nvraid port 1/2 and 250 GB western. My nlited system work fine with the raid but get bsod every time i boot with my western disk plugin.

The first time i have install the system by the hand with a crap floppy and can get my comp work with all disk plug on nvraid port.

Is one of the hdd's an IDE one or are all of them SATA connected?

If yes, did you use the NVIDIA Sata ports for all of them?

Did you put the Raid as first bootable hard disk device within BIOS (maybe the system tries to boot from your Western hdd, when it is connected)?

What is about the drivers you tried to install after you had reconnected the Western hdd?

Hello all.

I looked through the thread and didn't see this particular problem so hopefully it's not redundant. I'm running an ASUS A8N32-SLI Delux witn a 4400+ X2, 2 SATA seagates in RAID0.

I slipstreamed the raid drivers into xp using the nlite method with v1.0rc5 and everything seemed to go fine until I tried to install windows. During install I get a BSOD "unknown hard error Systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll" just after setup is finished loading files. I'm at a loss and have no idea what to do at this point. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong would be great, thanks!

Edited by m1ke78

I slipstreamed the raid drivers into xp using the nlite method with v1.0rc5 and everything seemed to go fine until I tried to install windows. During install I get a BSOD "unknown hard error Systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll" just after setup is finished loading files.
I am nearly sure, that this error (never have seen or heard about such message before) has nothing to do with nLite or especially with the integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers.

My tip: If you google for "unknown hard error Systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll" you will find a lot of discussions about that error, for example here: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1047757657

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

I slipstreamed the raid drivers into xp using the nlite method with v1.0rc5 and everything seemed to go fine until I tried to install windows. During install I get a BSOD "unknown hard error Systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll" just after setup is finished loading files.
I am nearly sure, that this error (never have seen or heard about such message before) has something to do with nLite or especially with the integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers.

My tip: If you google for "unknown hard error Systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll" you will find a lot of discussions about that error, for example here: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1047757657

CU

Fernando

ok I'll look into that problem elsewhere. One other thing I was hoping you could help with.

I gave up on the raid setup for the time being just to get the system up and running. After installing windows xp w/sp2, dual core driver/hotfix, and chipset drivers everything seems fine except when I try to run anything from the cd-rom. I can explore a cd and what not, but if I try to run a program off it I get "D:\Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application". I've tried multiple cd's all with the same result (with 1 exception). The one difference I've encountered was the motherboard cd gives this error "Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed". I don't think there's a hardware issue because I'm installing windows from a cd, there only seems to be a problem after windows has loaded.

I can deal with the raid issue and just run the system without raid for a while, but not being able to run cd's limits my use pretty heavily.

-Mike

I gave up on the raid setup for the time being just to get the system up and running. After installing windows xp w/sp2, dual core driver/hotfix, and chipset drivers everything seems fine except when I try to run anything from the cd-rom. I can explore a cd and what not, but if I try to run a program off it I get "D:\Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application". I've tried multiple cd's all with the same result (with 1 exception). The one difference I've encountered was the motherboard cd gives this error "Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed". I don't think there's a hardware issue because I'm installing windows from a cd, there only seems to be a problem after windows has loaded.
If your CD drive is OK, you should try to replace the nForce P-ATA Controller by the MS Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller.

Look here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=453294

Here you can get informations about how to troubleshoot CD or DVD devices: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q218617

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

If your CD drive is OK, you should try to replace the nForce P-ATA Controller by the MS Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller.

Look here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=453294

CU

Fernando

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. In the mean time I found a workaround by setting the ide controller transfer mode to "PIO only" instead of "DMA when applicable". I don't know enough to have any idea if that will slow data transfers but I'm assuming it will. Is there any drawback to leaving the transfer mode set to PIO only? The only device on that controller is the cd-rom. Thanks again for all your help so far and the guide. I wouldn't have even gotten this far without this thread.

-Mike