Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

a. They are both brand new drives (although one of them was then used to test installing the OS without RAID)

b. F10: The array is build, and shows up as "healthy", however no matter what I do the "" bootable option is greyed out, and the bootable column shows up as "N/A". I have however been able to set it as the first boot device in the BIOS boot menu.

That might be the reason for your trouble. It seems to me, that you still have parts of the boot sector (made by your first test without Raid) on the start position of your Raid array.

Tip: Do the formatting of both hdds and then try to enable the bootable option.

"MediaShield IDE ROM Bios Version 5.50" (assuming this is the Nvidia RAID bios)
Yes, that is the newest one. I have no experience with that version.
I tried the bootfloppy method since the machine currently has a floppy dangling out the side of it (yeah for 10 years of doing this sort of thing and having parts lying around ... even if I had to go to Radio Shack to get floppies) using both the whole of the "Legacy Directory" and the 6.70 directory with those files you listed added in from the sata_ide directory. Note: there isn't a NVATABUS.INF file in the sata_ide directory, just a nvata.inf file so I added that.
That was a mistake. You should have taken the NVATABUS.INF off the LEGACY subfolder. Athough both files are very similar, the NVATA.INF has only informations to install the - not-existant - NVATA.SYS.

Fernando,

First, thanks very much for your tremendous work to make integrated NVRAID drivers possible! I have just successfully loaded a fresh copy of Windows Server 2003 R2 32-bit on my DFI NF4-D rig running 36GB raptors in RAID 0! It took me a couple of attempts so I wanted to post here with my findings. Also, please forgive me if this info has already been mentioned/discussed but I did not come across any mention of this technique in this thread:

Attempt #1: I was a bit confused with the recommended drivers (the link to 6.66 in post #1) because it seems from inspecting the file names in the WinXP directories, that those are x64 drivers. But nevertheless I tried them anyway and setup quickly gave an error saying the drivers weren't compatible with the W2k3 x86 that I was loading.

Attempt #2: This second attempt was a success!: I used the x86 (32bit) v6.69 drivers directly from the source and followed your steps from post #1 but with a slight twist. I copied the following files into the IDE/WinXP/SATARAID directory of the 6.69 drivers:

- NVATABUS.INF from IDE/WinXP/LEGACY of the 6.70 for WinXP drivers

- NVATA.CAT & NVCOI.DLL from IDE/WinXP/SATA_IDE of the 6.69 for W2K3 drivers

Then I used nLite to integrate the drivers as usual from the prepared SATARAID directory. Here is the contents of that directory:

disk1			 5		   06/30/2005  07:48 PM
idecoi.dll 289,792 08/18/2005 05:52 PM
nvata.cat 9,192 09/27/2005 04:08 AM
nvatabus.inf 4,461 08/18/2005 05:50 PM
nvatabus.sys 93,568 08/18/2005 05:52 PM
nvcoi.dll 33,280 08/03/2005 02:52 PM
nvraid.cat 9,423 09/24/2005 04:51 AM
nvraid.inf 5,299 09/22/2005 02:50 AM
nvraid.sys 77,056 08/18/2005 05:52 PM
nvraidco.dll 19,456 08/18/2005 05:52 PM
txtsetup.oem 4,703 08/18/2005 05:50 PM

From Windows 2003 > Device Manger > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers > NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controler > Properties > Driver it says Driver Version: 5.10.2600.552 so I believe this is working properly now for Windows Server 2003 R2.

- jimanny

Edited by jimanny

Attempt #1: I was a bit confused with the recommended drivers (the link to 6.66 in post #1) because it seems from inspecting the file names in the WinXP directories, that those are x64 drivers.
You are right! I have just checked it. The link is correct to the 32-bit driver, but what you get is the 64-bit one (wrong link by NVIDIA). Thank you very much for your information. I will put the correct link into post No 1 within the next minutes.
Attempt #2: This second attempt was a success!: I used the x86 (32bit) v6.69 drivers directly from the source and followed your steps from post #1 but with a slight twist. I copied the following files into the IDE/WinXP/SATARAID directory of the 6.69 drivers:

- NVATABUS.INF from IDE/WinXP/LEGACY of the 6.70 for WinXP drivers

- NVATA.CAT & NVCOI.DLL from IDE/WinXP/SATA_IDE of the 6.69 for W2K3 drivers

Then I used nLite to integrate the drivers as usual from the prepared SATARAID directory.

That was a very good idea too! Until now I did not propose to take the 6.69 package, because it is a bit complicated to take the correct files. I will mention this way within my guide (post No 1).

Your post was very helpful - thanks again! :thumbup

CU

Fernando

Great! I am very happy that I am able to contribute something useful and also happy with my luck that it worked after only 2 attempts!

Basically, I went from your recommendation to have the 3 extra files in the SATARAID directory. The question was where to get the files since they aren't all in 6.69.

6.69 doesn't have NVATABUS.INF so there's only one other place it can come: 6.70 in IDE/WinXP/LEGACY. NVATA.CAT and NVCOI.DLL are already in 6.69 (in SATA_IDE) so copying those into 6.69/SATARAID were the final links to make it work for W2K3 R2. It seems it works because NVATABUS.INF calls NVATA.CAT and NVATABUS.SYS but I don't know who calls NVCOI.DLL. Perhaps NVCOI.dll is called by NVATA.CAT but I don't know cause it's compressed. Anyway, W2k3 SP1 basically equals R2 so it should work the same there too.

It seems it works because NVATABUS.INF calls NVATA.CAT and NVATABUS.SYS but I don't know who calls NVCOI.DLL. Perhaps NVCOI.dll is called by NVATA.CAT but I don't know cause it's compressed.
It works, because the drivers (SYS files) of both packages have the same version 5.52.

The DLL files are coinstallers and needed for a correct installation of the drivers (NVCOI.DLL is needed for the NVATABUS.SYS and "called" by the NVATABUS.INF)

The CAT files contain only informations about the certification status of the depending driver (NVATA.CAT is responsable for the NVATABUS.SYS, NVRAID.CAT for the NVRAID.SYS). CAT files are not really necessary, but may be useful with weird drivers as the nForce SataRaid ones. :D

Thanks again - I have already edited my guide!

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Thanks Fernando! Awesome contribution you have made :)

After two unsuccessful attempts, I succeeded :D

I think I was most confused by the early replies and different driver folder structure of the v6.70 drivers. However, after copying the 3 necessary files to the sataraid directory, success! My configuration consists of a SLI-DR motherboard, two SATA drives in a healthy raid0 array, and Windows XP Pro (32-bit).

So to future users, this is what I did:

1) Downloaded v6.70 Nvidia drivers. Extracted contents.

2) Copied Nvatabus.inf and nvcoi.dll to the "sataraid" directory FROM the "legacy" directory.

3) Copied nvata.cat from the "sata_ide" directory to the "sataraid" directory.

4) Using NLite, add the driver inf file from the sataraid directory ONLY (don't do anything with legacy, etc).

5) You can add other drivers (ethernet, etc).

6) Be sure to select an unattended setup option.

7) Burn your bootable ISO.

8) Install sit back and drink a beverage of your choice :) (No need to hit F6 or anything).

Good stuff!

Edited by TStein

2) Copied Nvatabus.inf and idecoi.dll to the "sataraid" directory FROM the "legacy" directory.

4) Using NLite, add the driver inf file from the sataraid directory ONLY (don't do anything with legacy, etc).

8) Install sit back and drink a beverage of your choice :) (No need to hit F6 or anything).

Hi TStein,

thank you for your post.

The way you did it is not the easiest, but the safest method to get the nForce SataRaid drivers integrated.

A little correction: In step No 2 you mean the NVCOI.DLL (and not the IDECOI.DLL, this file is already in the SATARAID directory).

CU

Fernando

Hi TStein,

thank you for your post.

The way you did it is not the easiest, but the safest method to get the nForce SataRaid drivers integrated.

A little correction: In step No 2 you mean the NVCOI.DLL (and not the IDECOI.DLL, this file is already in the SATARAID directory).

CU

Fernando

Yep, my mistake. I edited the correct library name in my post. Thanks!

After two unsuccessful attempts, I succeeded :D

I think I was most confused by the early replies and different driver folder structure of the v6.70 drivers. However, after copying the 3 necessary files to the sataraid directory, success! My configuration consists of a SLI-DR motherboard, two SATA drives in a healthy raid0 array, and Windows XP Pro (32-bit).

2) Copied Nvatabus.inf and nvcoi.dll to the "sataraid" directory FROM the "legacy" directory.

TStein has pointed it out: It is very difficult to write a guide about the nVRaid driver integration, which is useful for everyone, easy to understand and simultaneously totally correct.

As a result of his post I have made some changes within the "Driver Preparation" part of my guide (first post of this thread). I hope, that my guide has gotten more understandable and not too complicated.

If you still find something misunderstandable or if you have a better idea for an easy guide, please let me know it - nobody is perfect! :no:

CU

Fernando

a. They are both brand new drives (although one of them was then used to test installing the OS without RAID)

b. F10: The array is build, and shows up as "healthy", however no matter what I do the "" bootable option is greyed out, and the bootable column shows up as "N/A". I have however been able to set it as the first boot device in the BIOS boot menu.

That might be the reason for your trouble. It seems to me, that you still have parts of the boot sector (made by your first test without Raid) on the start position of your Raid array.

Tip: Do the formatting of both hdds and then try to enable the bootable option.

"MediaShield IDE ROM Bios Version 5.50" (assuming this is the Nvidia RAID bios)
Yes, that is the newest one. I have no experience with that version.
I tried the bootfloppy method since the machine currently has a floppy dangling out the side of it (yeah for 10 years of doing this sort of thing and having parts lying around ... even if I had to go to Radio Shack to get floppies) using both the whole of the "Legacy Directory" and the 6.70 directory with those files you listed added in from the sata_ide directory. Note: there isn't a NVATABUS.INF file in the sata_ide directory, just a nvata.inf file so I added that.
That was a mistake. You should have taken the NVATABUS.INF off the LEGACY subfolder. Athough both files are very similar, the NVATA.INF has only informations to install the - not-existant - NVATA.SYS.

Okay, I tried doing the formatting for both hard drives and then building the RAID array and trying to set it to bootable. No luck, still grayed out. I tried building the array, booting off a different hard drive, and then formatting the whole array. Then tried rebooting and seeing if I could make it bootable. Still no luck.

Tried pulling the drivers from the Legacy folder as you suggested and using a CD with SP2 integrated. No luck. Tried tuning that installation into an "unattended installation, no luck.

Tried pulling the files from the SATARAID folder, with the extra files you suggested, and putting them on a floppy to install during a WinXP2 install. No luck.

Next I guess I'll try a fresh nlite build of SP2, the sataraid/ide drivers (with the legacy .inf), and the unattended and see what happens :)

When I started making this machine last week, I was hoping to finish with it before I went on vacation. I spent 1/2 a day putting the pieces together, I didn't think I'd devote another week (or more) of my off hours time to getting the OS installed. :angrym:

Okay, I tried doing the formatting for both hard drives and then building the RAID array and trying to set it to bootable. No luck, still grayed out. I tried building the array, booting off a different hard drive, and then formatting the whole array. Then tried rebooting and seeing if I could make it bootable. Still no luck.

Tried pulling the drivers from the Legacy folder as you suggested and using a CD with SP2 integrated. No luck. Tried tuning that installation into an "unattended installation, no luck.

Tried pulling the files from the SATARAID folder, with the extra files you suggested, and putting them on a floppy to install during a WinXP2 install. No luck.

Next I guess I'll try a fresh nlite build of SP2, the sataraid/ide drivers (with the legacy .inf), and the unattended and see what happens :)

When I started making this machine last week, I was hoping to finish with it before I went on vacation. I spent 1/2 a day putting the pieces together, I didn't think I'd devote another week (or more) of my off hours time to getting the OS installed. :angrym:

I can understand you - I would be angry too!

That fact, that you cannot set your Raid as bootable, is a severe thing. If you don't have done something wrong, this issue refers to a hardware problem (Raid Controller malfunction?).

By the way: Asus recommends for your board to take the new nForce driver remix package 8.22, which you can download here: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket...32nforce822.zip

I have no experience with this driver package, but maybe it is useful for you.

CU

Fernando

I can understand you - I would be angry too!

That fact, that you cannot set your Raid as bootable, is a severe thing. If you don't have done something wrong, this issue refers to a hardware problem (Raid Controller malfunction?).

By the way: Asus recommends for your board to take the new nForce driver remix package 8.22, which you can download here: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket...32nforce822.zip

I have no experience with this driver package, but maybe it is useful for you.

I'm not agry with you. I appreciate all the work you've done and the help you've given. :)

I wonder if the RAID controller is having a problem with the SATA 300 disks (WD2500 Caviar SE16)? or the SATA DVDR? (plextor PX-716SA), or some combination of the two (I noticed when I loaded WindowsXP on an IDE drive and then was initializing the RAID array through the Windows interface, accessing the DVDR while the array was initializing, or synchronizing caused Windows to BSOD).

I'll do some playing with the 8.22 driver remix package tonight. I'll also try playing around with a combination of removing the DVR and seeing how the RAID controller reacts. I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks again for your help. :)

I wonder if the RAID controller is having a problem with the SATA 300 disks (WD2500 Caviar SE16)? or the SATA DVDR? (plextor PX-716SA), or some combination of the two (I noticed when I loaded WindowsXP on an IDE drive and then was initializing the RAID array through the Windows interface, accessing the DVDR while the array was initializing, or synchronizing caused Windows to BSOD).
As I just realized your Plextor is a Sata device.

I bet, that the Plextor is the reason for your trouble.

Look here: http://www.plextor.com/english/support/PX-...y%20listing.htm

My tip: Remove the Plextor and use for the install of the OS an other CD drive device. After the successful install of Windows XP you can reinstall your Plextor.

CU

Fernando

I've followed the instructions given in this post on how to create an unattended installation of Windows XP Pro (using nlite), with the NForce4 SATA Raid drivers etc....everything was fine until windows tried to boot for the first time, It just keeps rebooting itself. When I try and boot into safe mode, the last thing on the screen is \Drivers\mup.sys which is exactly what was happening before.

Any ideas?

[Edit]

System Configuration:

N4SLI-A9

AMD64 3200

1Gb memory (dual channel mode)

2x120gb SATA Drives on Channel 1

Raid 0 Array is set as bootable, and is healthy

Edited by landity

I've followed the instructions given in this post on how to create an unattended installation of Windows XP Pro (using nlite), with the NForce4 SATA Raid drivers etc....everything was fine until windows tried to boot for the first time, It just keeps rebooting itself. When I try and boot into safe mode, the last thing on the screen is \Drivers\mup.sys which is exactly what was happening before.

Any ideas?

It looks like a hardware problem, which has nothing to do with the integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers.

Look here:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/31874/

http://www.earthv.com/tips_detail.asp?TipID=63

Within another forum someone wrote, that the same problem was solved after updating the BIOS of the graphic adapter.

Hoping that you will find the reason for your problem

Fernando