Network security on WinXP

halo everyone,

i have a problem here.... :( in my house, i got 3 PC, when PC A access PC B & C shared folder, it will not prompt for enter user name and password. But, if PC B or C access shared folder and printer in PC A, it will need to ask user to enter user name & password. How can over come this???? I want to disable the security on PC A, how i going to do?? All pc is using win XP Pro. Thanks.

For starters... turn off Simple File Sharing

then you need to make sure that your 2 computers have the same usernames configured on them

PC A: If you for example have a username John with a password of doe .... then on PC B make sure you have a username of John and a password of doe...

Also make sure you are part of the same workgroup...

when you access a pc across the network.. it will pass on the credentials that you are currently logged on with.. If pc B doesnt have the same credentials then it will prompt you for for the correct ones

Example:

PC A Username: John Password: doe

PC B Username: Billy Password: joel

PC A accesses PC B with username John and password doe.... Does pc B have a record of that name...

NO.

Basically just make sure both computers have the same username and password used on each machine.. This will stop the prompting for passwords

• 2 weeks later...

One little tidbit I discovered in a home environment (non domain) is that you must have passwords set for all the users. If you try to authenticate using a credential that has no password it won't work. In an environment where security truly does not matter at all I always use the word "password" as the password. It's almost impossible to forget that one.

If there is no need of security what so ever, just have autoadminlogon with user administrator and no psw on all computers  :o

As that may work for no security, it will not help for accessing files between networked computers. RogueSpear's is right, you will have problems authenticating if you dont have similar PRESENT passwords

As that may work for no security, it will not help for accessing files between networked computers. RogueSpear's is right, you will have problems authenticating if you dont have similar PRESENT passwords

Is that a fact :)

Good to know, thx :D