firefox problem

ripken204

on my dads comp hes been using firefox for a few months and today when he tried to open it up it would do nothing, nothing at all pops up, not even an error. i checked in task manager and each time he tried to open firefox the a new process would start for it so he had like 6 processes for it in task manager. i booted the comp into safe mode and firefox loaded up fine, ive also reinstalled it but still no luck.

Well, just for the sake of it - maybe you could've just uninstall-reinstall-ed that firefox ;)

That counts for any other program as well - just uninstall and reinstall - spares you a lot of time compared to reformatting and often solves some strange problems that might occur ...

Well, if you'd have posted this before when you actually cared to fix the problem instead of just blindly formating the HDD and thus never learning any experience from it on how to fix something like that, then you could've tried our suggestions and see whether that would fix it or not. But now that that is over, you'll never know what was wrong, unless you manage to magically recreate the same conditions as before. But that would most likely only cause you to panic all over again and reformat the drive. :thumbup

• 1 month later...

The problem was most likely an Extension. These are added value to Firefox, but also may prove it's greatest weakness. Independent Extension developers are not keeping pace with the numerous releases of Firefox.

For me, Firefox 1.0.2 was the greatest ever, but now with 1.0.6 I too cannot start the browser without it freezing. Safe Mode works, so therefore proving it must be an Extension.

I have always been an IE fan, but am extremely grateful to Firefox for getting Microsoft off its bum to update its browser.

*I battling along with IE7 B1 at the moment, so this proves I must be a true fan. Also, I am an ordinary person, so I need eye candy. Get something out that looks pretty, soon. When you buy a car you are attracted to the look and color first... You shouldn't be of-course, you should rip the bonnet up..and...check out the thing-a-ma-jig.

win_ie7_logo_city.jpg

why did u reply to this thread? and its not an extension since he doesnt have any, and please dont anyone respond b/c i dont need help

Why did he reply? because he wanted to help obviously :huh:

Generally problems like that with firefox are caused by bad extensions, so the advice from the past few posts was maybe useful to others, which is what this forum is about, no? This is not a good reply to give a guy on his first post, probably making it his last. And you never mentioned having no extensions.

Oh yeah, if you dont need help, why post? :}

SP