DRU-510A

Thauzar

HI, I have a DRU-510A dvd-+rw from sony. My friend just gave me yesterday, before taking it out we burned a dvd from her media and it went fine. Back at home, I tried with one of her dvd-r but got an answer that this disk was not a dvd or a blank disk?!?!. I updated the firmware to v1.1a, and tested the drive with their utility and I get

[07/06/2005 02:55:28 AM]  1  log - CD Write complete

[07/06/2005 02:55:28 AM]  1  log - Begining data verification

[07/06/2005 02:55:29 AM] *** err - Failed to read data from track

[07/06/2005 02:55:29 AM] *** err -   edwMmcRead10 returned the following error: SCSI Sense - Key:3 (Medium Error) ASC:11 ASCQ:05

Moreover, my device is supposed to be "High Performance CD-R/RW burning

The DRU-510A also functions as a high performance CD burner,up to 24X CD-R and 16X CD-RW burning." It detects the 24x for the cds, but I'm burning DVD-R at 1x for them to be readable, and the listdown menu says 1x, 2x or 2,4x only... There does not seem to have OS drivers anywhere, all I found as "drivers" was a firmware update on sony's site. Anyone can help me or suggest utilities to troubleshoot and fix this? I'd like to get my fullspeed back for dvd's and also be able to use it at full speed for dvds and cds without them becoming unreadable.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Thauzar

Come on, anyone?

Is it because the data transfer is slow? How can we test that? Also my hdd is primary ide master, and my burner secondary ide slave, i'll try to put it master. Also, my hdd2 needs smart to run, at least it did a couple of months ago. I heard disableing that could give more data transfer...

Anyone with a solution? I can't do it all by myself here ;)

Yeah.

I tried to put it master, and disabled smart on the hdds... I got my 4x back! But the utility still says the same error so I simply verify written data in nero even if it's a couple of minutes longer. I tested with dvd and it works, im trying the cd right now at 24x, should be no problem. Maybe it's their test utility that sucks.

EDIT: the cd-r was full of read errors even in nero, so the dvd are burning fine at max speed but not the cds... what's wrong? I'll try decrementing the speed until it stops doing it but i wish I could fix this.

Edited by Thauzar

I tried at every cd writing speed and it always fails... this is weird. My dvds are flawless, and they read well, while my cds are buggy and can't pass data verification from nero... anyone can help?

I tried at every cd writing speed and it always fails... this is weird.  My dvds are flawless, and they read well, while my cds are buggy and can't pass data verification from nero...  anyone can help?

Have you tried a different brand of CD-Rs? Other than that, it sounds like defective hardware to me.

I tried with an old kodak I had left at the bottom of a used cd-r stack (lucky me...) and it worked!!!

The thing is, my newer cd stack is also kodak, and I already exchanged them once cause the other ones kept getting me power calibration error on my old hp cd-rw... I thought it was the cd-writer, but now I realise maybe both stacks where wrong. Aren't Kodak supposed to be a good brand?

• 2 weeks later...
I tried with an old kodak I had left at the bottom of a used cd-r stack (lucky me...) and it worked!!!

The thing is, my newer cd stack is also kodak, and I already exchanged them once cause the other ones kept getting me power calibration error on my old hp cd-rw... I thought it was the cd-writer, but now I realise maybe both stacks where wrong.  Aren't Kodak supposed to be a good brand?

The thing is that some CD/DVD writers like some media and not others. So, whatever brand the first CD-R you used was, your CD-R writer obviously didn't like it. Your old HP CD-RW may not have liked the Kodak CD-Rs either. I personally use Imation CD-Rs. Verbatim is also a good brand for me, too! My recommendation would be to try a completely different brand, such as Imation. I wish you much luck!

Talking about this with the manager from Compusmart, he admitted that Kodak sold their names to some looser guy who imports batches of cheap cds under the kodak name. That's why since a year and a half kodak cds are cheap and buggy. Since that time, all the stacks I bought where crap and I remember clearly always buying kodaks before. So not only the brand WAS good, but they just sold it out to a looser with no brain who now sells dogsh*t under the kodak name.

I did'nt found any cd-r brand yet but I got TDK dvd-r and +r and the -r are working perfectly. Didnt tried the + ones yet.