What should I do?

Alright, my Windows install crapped out and got corrupted somehow, so I figured as long as I need to reinstall I'd try one of these customized install things, maybe some case mods, etc. So what kind of tweaks would you recommend? (Here are some detailed specs. It's a piece of crap, yes, but I can't afford anything better at the moment. :()

I figure I'll try 'slip-streaming' SP2 (if that's the right term... having it pre-installed on the disc) and maybe check out some alternate shells. Explorer drives me looney. Just wondering what suggestions and ideas people might have (besides getting a new computer <_<).

Not really the right Forum tho ...! :P

$.02 - After using nLite to remove ALLOT OF STUFF! :P It will seem like you have a new computer! :P Dont bother spending the money to have that sensation! :)

Edited by Gouki

After using nLite to remove a lot of stuff it seems like I have half a computer. <_< A lot of the tweaks don't seem to have worked. There is nothing on my desktop (I set it to show My Computer and Recycle Bin), the Start menu still popped up, and it still asked for a CD key. (I may have typed it wrong when I made the install... it really should verify that.) And because of some unexpected dependencies I can't change my resolution! >_<

And isn't there some way to not have these crappy drive letters? Every single time I install they get shifted around. My CD drive is G: and Windows is D: now, wtf?

Edited by HyperHacker

Alright well I remade the install CD and did it all again, and it worked but still didn't turn out well. It still asks for my key and I know I entered it right. Once again many tweaks didn't work (Start menu pops up on first boot, Recycle Bin isn't renamable, etc) and I got several reports of missing system files during the install. The languages I chose were not the ones I ended up with. I basically removed everything except Canadian English and Japanese (and for some reason US English wasn't even on the list). I ended up with US English, Canadian French and Canadian Multilingual... no support for Japanese at all (had to go into the regional options and install it all manually) which gave more missing file errors. Worst of all it now thinks I don't have a sound card. The card is listed in Device Manager and doesn't show a problem, but under Properties -> Audio Devices -> Audio Controller -> Properties again it says "driver is enabled but not functioning properly", and there are two options with no label. O_o The same shows for all audio devices.