XP on an old computer

HyperHacker

I'm wondering if I can install XP Pro and get decent speeds without blowing up this old computer:

233mhz P1 CPU

32MB RAM

4GB hard disk

Some sort of CD-ROM, dunno what it is but it reads CDs :P

I don't intend to do much with it. Basically I'm just going to install PHP on it and use it as a server on my LAN (not online) to test stuff, so I'll probably get rid of all the unimportant stuff like Media Player and such. Just a barebones XP system, sitting in a corner, executing PHP scripts and being controlled with VNC. Think it could handle it? Any tips on making it 'lighter' so it won't be uber-slow?

32MB RAM is very little. You need at least 128MB. I've seen a PC with 64MB RAM but it was very slow. None the less, you could try: go to Win98 interface, disable all services you don't need and...it might work.

P.S. Why don't you install Win98SE on that machine?

I do have 98SE but it's quite a pain to get it networked to this computer running XP. I also had intended to use it as a sort of 'test machine' for XP-related things.

As for RAM, I could borrow some from this computer to bring it up to 64MB during install, then back down to 32. :P I imagine nLite could get it running on 32MB.

Edited by HyperHacker

Hi,

With a Pentium 1 CPU I doubt that you will be able to install XP anyway. 32 MBytes is defenatly not enough RAM.

The slowest PC I ever tried on was a Pentium II 300MHz with 64 MBytes of RAM and it walked not ran.

For a Pentium 1 you will need to use Windows 98SE or perhaps Windows Me and even then 32 MBytes would not really be enough.

To be honest this sort of spec is now really past all use for Windows. Perhaps a Linux distro would be a better option?

Kind Regards

Simon

I haven't tried this on a P1, but I have good experiences with upgrading P2 machines to WindowsXP.

It will work with 64MB RAM, but you will find it hardly workable. Try to get AT LEAST 128MB RAM. With 64MB your PC will be swapping to a point where it's not fun any more. Long boot times, and long wait times when starting programs.

Edited by enuffsaid

nlite the hell out of your copy of XP and under the tweaks section on the compatability tab tick the "Disable minimum memory requirements" check box. Make sure that you take as much out of XP as possible esp. in regard the to the services. Burn a CD of this and pray hard.

If you use BTS driver packs and they work on you machine don't forget to let him know the spec of the machine, i.e. Mobo make etc. cuz it'll beat the Intel 440BX PII chip set which I tried about a month ago.

Good luck

I've got an nLite'ned XPSP2--fully stripped, of course--running on a P166 + 32MB of EDO SRAM (Trident 1MB ISA videocard w/vgasave driver, LOL), but it's not terribly speedy-->;)

My kids use it for games and MS Paint, and it works well enough. I don't know how a machine with these specs would fare on a network, but I'd bet you could run a Linux commandline, DOS, or Win9x pretty well.

Edited by nateklomp