7z + Resource Hacker

Scubar

when i tried to make a Sfx using 7z and try to edit the dialogs to make it totally silent resource hacker tells me that it may have been made using a EXE Compressor.

is there any way of getting round this. i have use PE Explorer before but last time i used it and res edited something and saved it again it lost nearly all the compression.

seems that the guide may need updating as resource hacker doesnt work on it.

Edited by ScubaSteve

Are you trying to make a 7z switchless installer with an sfx module?

Or and self-extracting 7z archive?

Dont quite undertand your req?

If its the former then...

I used to have probs making silent installers using the last betaversion of 7zip as the inc module was garbage. Thankfully Ryan VM posted his own personal hacked sfx module in a post for us and since using his I have had a 100% success rate.

RyanVM's customised sfx module

Orig thread here, Ryan's post is #54

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8&hl=SFX+MODULE

If its the latter then there's no need to hack the module - just create the self-extractor and use the /S switch to silently install it.

Resource Hackers need the file to be uncompressed in order to work their magic. The ever-popular ResHacker does not do this automatically, but the (much nicer) Resource Tuner will. Unfortunately, Resource Tuner costs money, but I believe there is a free 30 day trial. Once you are done poking around inside the file, compress it back up with UPX using the command "upx.exe --best 7zS.sfx".