Firewall / Antivirus

I have read some of the "best" threads above.

I have being using NIS, but this seems to slow the computer down on booting up and also on other things (seems that way). I need a firewall that blocks everything going out unless I allow it and a decent anti-virus. Any recommendations please.

This really depends on how you want the Firewall to work, in my opinion an application level firewall isn't the best idea.

Of all the software firewalls I have tried, I cannot think of anything which comes close to the freeware offering SoftPerfect Personal Firewall. You have to know a little about firewalls etc. to use it to best advantage, but in my opinion, knowing about these things should be a pre-requisite of any serious computer user.

As for antivirus, there's no such thing as a 100% perfect solution, and it really is down to user preference with regards level of user interaction. I don't want something checking my emails, I'm not interested in the GUI interface design, and I want to update manually when I require it. For this reason I usually go for another freeware product AntiVir PersonalEdition on my main Windows OS, but run Bitdefender and Avast products from other OSes as secondary and tertiary solutions.

Sygate is my personal favorite for software firewalls. By default, it blocks applications from accessing the network unless you have given those applications permission.

As for anti-virus, NOD32 is probably the undisputed champ when it comes to low resource usage.

I use Sygate 5.5.2710. I love it. Other firewalls I recommend are: Kerio, Agnitum Outpost Firewall, Tiny Personal Firewall.

My favorite AVs are: Symantec Corporate AV, NOD32 AV, F-Secure Antivirus for Servers. ;)

I don't like BitDefender. It has a fast response towards virii, but it can't clean 'em all. And I think it uses more memory, then Symantec Corp. AV or Kaspersky or even NOD32.

Well, just about everything else uses more memory than NOD32... :P

BitDefender is pretty good for the common user. Very clean and understandable UI (at least V8). As for memory usage, it's better than NAV and Kaspersky on the systems that I've tested it on. Better startup times as well.

I Recommend Avast Pro For Your Anti -Virus And Armor2net personal Firewall !! Although it is every ones differant opinion, I have also used Nod32 And sygate and will say that they are Good!!!!

:thumbup