Install XP on 200GB drive

Hi,

I have a 200 GB hard drive (maxtor), I used big_drive_enabler to make win2k see it, partitioned, formatted, then tried to install XP pro (the base version, without SP1).

The hard disk "disappeared"!

When I used Partition Magic from a bootcd it told it couldn't find the drive, ("Abort, Retry, Fail?").

I had to use Active Partition recovery from a bootcd to recover the old partitions, it took a whole night...

I suspect this is because Win XP has no support for HD larger than 137 GB.

How can I install it on this HDD?

Do I have to get a copy of XP with SP1 included?

Is there any other way?

Thanks a lot for any help.

:hello:

Yep xp will support HD of that size, I did have issues & windows suggested I had 130gig hd when in fact I had a 200 gig but when updated to sp2 with all critical updates it appeared to be OK. Don't forget the bios, maybe not all mobos will accept large hd's or support tho.

Yep xp will support HD of that size, I did have issues & windows suggested I had 130gig hd when in fact I had a 200 gig but when updated to sp2 with all critical updates it appeared to be OK. Don't forget the bios, maybe not all mobos will accept large hd's or support tho.

Thanks for your reply.

I know that with SP2 Win XP will be able to see the 200GB, the problem is that when performing an installation from winXP cd it doesn't have SP, so it can't recognize the HD and messes up with it.

I formatted it with Win2000 with FAT32 and NTFS partitions, unfortunately I can't install XP on the system partition because the installation sees the HD as a 130GB with no partitions on it (and apparently makes a mess with MBR).

Thanks for your reply.

I know that with SP2 Win XP will be able to see the 200GB, the problem is that when performing an installation from winXP cd it doesn't have SP, so it can't recognize the HD and messes up with it.

I formatted it with Win2000 with FAT32 and NTFS partitions, unfortunately I can't install XP on the system partition because the installation sees the HD as a 130GB with no partitions on it (and apparently makes a mess with MBR).

You should create a new winxp install cd and slipstream the latest service pack SP2 before installing onto a drive bigger than 130GB, also if your motherboard uses a seperate controller for ata100 support( e.g. promise ata100 / ata133 controller, raid, sata) always check for the latest driver that will support 48bit hard drive addressing, and put them a floppy.

Then when you install winxp just press F6 when it asks you if you want to install additional drivers, insert floppy and winxp will install and recognise your entire hard drive capacity.

I never install windows without sp2 slipstreamed now as it causes too many problems with large hard drives especially if you've a got partitions already on the drive that you can't afford to loose the data on.

Been there done this,,,,,,,,

Get a maxtor adaptor card ...

get the latest drivers here........

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/Accessories&downloadID=10

then add the drivers as per the greenmachine site

you can start here

http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.htm

also make it so the winnt.sif will not format the drive and add the drivers to the winnt.sif file

NOTE DO NOT LET M$ DOS FORMAT THE DRIVE

Download MaxBlast 4 For Windows

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=58

Maxtor formats the drive total different

use the maxtor setup disc to set the drive up then install windows from the CD

BEEN THERE DONE THAT......

winnt.sif for ref

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition = 1
   MsDosInitiated = 0
   UnattendedInstall = Yes
   AutomaticUpdates = No

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode = FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula = Yes
   OemPreinstall = Yes
   UnattendSwitch = Yes
   OemPnPDriversPath = Drivers\010_Maxtor;Drivers\020_VIA\;Drivers\020_VIA\Inf\Winxp;Drivers\020_VIA\IDEWinXP;Drivers\020_VIA\WinXP;Drivers\020_VIA\Agp;Drivers\030_Lan_GigaBit;Drivers\040_Linksys_NIC;Drivers\050_ATI_9700_Pro;Drivers\060_Samtron_Monitor;Drivers\070_CS110_XP
   TargetPath = \WINDOWS
   FileSystem = LeaveAlone
   DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
   Repartition = No
   DUDisable = Yes
   Hibernation = No

[Shell]
   DefaultStartPanelOff = Yes
   DefaultThemesOff = Yes

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
   EncryptedAdminPassword = NO
   OEMSkipRegional = 1
   TimeZone = 020
   OemSkipWelcome = 1

[UserData]
   ProductKey = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
   FullName = "xxxxxxxxxx"
   OrgName = "xxxxxxxxxx"
   ComputerName = xxxxxxxxxx

[TapiLocation]
   CountryCode = 001
   Dialing = Tone
   AreaCode = 972

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup = WORKGROUP

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents = Yes

[Components]
   msnexplr = off
   msmsgs = off
   WMPOCM = off
   Zonegames = off

[WindowsFirewall]
Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[Display]
BitsPerPel = 32
Vrefresh = 75
XResolution = 1024
YResolution = 768

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
Mode = 0

[IEPopupBlocker]
BlockPopups = No

:D Thanks for the info Coolsights... I just spent a few hours recovering the data from my Maxtor 300GB One Touch II backup drive... oye. This is the second time i have had the disk show up as blank in windows requiring a slow rebuild of the partion table and removal of corrupt files. Do you think that this is all due to the fact that I didnt use the Maxtor install disks and let Windows format the drive? I guess I could move the data and reformat from scratch...

:D Thanks for the info Coolsights...  I just spent a few hours recovering the data from my Maxtor 300GB One Touch II backup drive... oye.  This is the second time i have had the disk show up as blank in windows requiring a slow rebuild of the partion table and removal of corrupt files.  Do you think that this is all due to the fact that I didnt use the Maxtor install disks and let Windows format the drive?  I guess I could move the data and reformat from scratch...

LOL it is not what you are doing is wrong it is Maxtor makes a great fast hard drive but they fail allot......... If your getting corrupt files RMA that sucker.. I hate to tell you this but the next time I buy a large drive it will not be maxtor...

For every drive that I bought from Maxtor I RMA the bad boy at least 4 times..

Before I got a good one..

MY 160 GB one took a crap last month and is past the one year mark.. my 200 I use as backup cause it can't handle the load as the main drive..It works great as a backup. and is paste the trade in date.. I use the old 80GB as a play drive --works OK and I have a 40 Gb that I use as storage seems OK.. and I have the wife on a 250GB .. just knock on wood I did have to RMA that one when it was new out of the box ......

Just Do the RMA thing when they ask you what is the CODE just tell them it is not seen by the system... and you can't here it spin up.. That means DEAD drive to them ... They will do a RMA on it... if you say it works they will have you do a bunch of bull s*** test... when you run the setup test stuff it will turn on the write verify for so many days then the failers will start again been there done that.....

RMA the sucker till you get a good one....

When you format with DOS it will not see the whole drive so you will only get part of the drive........ what happen to the rest you will ask later????????????

and you may not see this issue if you parition the drive under the dos limits....

all depends...........

I did try some western digital ones years ago but they corrupt from the get go.. after trading three in at the store I call lemon law ......

LOl when I was RMA the drives some of the ones I got back where worse than the one I sent in.. so check out them out very carefully......

The reason I started doing RMA is cause I almost got into a knock down drag out fight at one of the stores.... The A88hole went in the back and didn't even install the drive correctly then he came out there and said oh there is nothing wrong with it.. I went into the back room walking right past him and show him why and how.. and he stilll wanted to argue... what was funny the tech siad that is the way Maxtor runs... BS on them cause the maxtor tech support was the ones that told me to take them back..... to make a long story short what I have found is maxtor plops the drives in box and we are the quality testers... and they have very a high failer rate... Also all those fancy test programs they have are B.S. cause the maxtor drives will pass all the test but fail when you use them in the system..

The test do not move the heads around fast enough to cause the in the system failers,,, Let us see some test that make the heads access all over the plators ramdomly ... That is where they fail and then you get corrupted files...

If the maxtor drive makes any loud load noises that ia a faulty one...... Maxtor says the drive should be very very quiet,,,,,,,,, LOl most all of the drive I got from the box new sounded like a train......

Good luck with yours...

P>S>The 250 GB that I have the wife using is very very quiet and fast,,,,,,,,No failers no corrupted files.. and no system hangs.....

Mac!

• 2 weeks later...