Win 98, 2000, Me, Xp, Longhorn!

Devil_666

Just a quick thought,

Why does Microsoft always develop an OS that never works fully, i mean they always crash etc or have error's, i think Gates should just develop one OS and just release Add-on's for that Os and evolve it even more, instead of making stuff like ME that just gives you Blue screen every hour!

Ok fair enough XP is stable but i know many people who have problems, and also the fact that it runs best on NTFS file structure, but most proggys and games like to use FAT and win9x so comeon Bill lets sort this out!

Why does Microsoft always develop an OS that never works fully, i mean they always crash etc or have error's, i think Gates should just develop one OS and just release Add-on's for that Os and evolve it even more, instead of making stuff like ME that just gives you Blue screen every hour!

$$$

Games and apps don't know what filesystem your operating system uses, they just use API's and procedures to load/create/modify files. You could run games with wine under Linux using the ext3 filesystem and it would not matter. The reason some games run only on Windows 9x is because they are DOS based (as is Windows 9x), and NT is not.

Ok fair enough XP is stable but i know many people who have problems, and also the fact that it runs best on NTFS file structure, but most proggys and games like to use FAT and win9x so comeon Bill lets sort this out!

I've yet to seen an app or game fail to run on my NTFS drives, bearing in mind I have played well over 50 different games on an NTFS filesystem.

IMO, i just find NTFS more faster on drives bigger than 30GB, and more reliable.

I think most people that have problems with XP are just not experienced computer users. "Operator Error" is one of my favorite terms for inexperineced computer users. How many times have you ran across someone that asked "NTFS, what is that?", or one of my favorites "How do you defrag the hard drive?" And these questions come from people that have been using the machine for 6 months or more! Once in a while I look at the machine as a favor and find failed software installations, a hard drive that had upgrades from Win3.1 > Win95 > WinME etc. and not one single clean installation. I have seen people try to eject the floppy disk when the green light is on, try to defrag the hard drive with applications running and so much more. Really, what do most people use the inet for these days? My son is a good example bless his heart. He comes home from school and starts the PC. Starts a MP3 download. Does his homework while WinAmp is playing something. After homework and dinner he burns his MP3s, stuffs the disk in his backpack, kisses Mom good night, hits Dad up for a few bucks for a few blank CD-Rs, and goes to bed. I ask him "Did you defrag this month?" Yea Dad, I'll get to it. Love that kid :)

I think most people that have problems with XP are just not experienced computer users. "Operator Error" is one of my favorite terms for inexperineced computer users. How many times have you ran across someone that asked "NTFS, what is that?", or one of my favorites "How do you defrag the hard drive?" And these questions come from people that have been using the machine for 6 months or more! Once in a while I look at the machine as a favor and find failed software installations, a hard drive that had upgrades from Win3.1 > Win95 > WinME etc. and not one single clean installation. I have seen people try to eject the floppy disk when the green light is on, try to defrag the hard drive with applications running and so much more. Really, what do most people use the inet for these days? My son is a good example bless his heart. He comes home from school and starts the PC. Starts a MP3 download. Does his homework while WinAmp is playing something. After homework and dinner he burns his MP3s, stuffs the disk in his backpack, kisses Mom good night, hits Dad up for a few bucks for a few blank CD-Rs, and goes to bed. I ask him "Did you defrag this month?" Yea Dad, I'll get to it. Love that kid  :)

lol, I popped the floppy before while led was on.. and I always play some music while runnin a defrag.. lol anything wrong with that?

Im not sure if the bugs are at all dalibtrate.....if you have ever built code from the ground up for such things as gaming, you would know that different configurations can lead to problems,errors, lag, and frezzes..and thats just a game. A OS is much more complicated, and for it to work with all the possiable hardware configurations is a very difficult feat...so i think ms is doing an ok job really....Xp has done me no harm and i have seen nothing but good so far....i think MS finally pulled their haeads out their asses..IMHO

=Drew

I believe that the 'instability' or flaws we run across in Windows is due to the generalist nature we demand of our PC systems. Look at something like X Box or PS2. These are very nice COMPUTERS - but they have an OS that is built to do a very specific thing. Thus - no BSD, etc. If you want absolute stability - get a calculator to do math, a typewriter to write on, a CD player to listen to music, a pencil and paper to create art, etc etc etc blah blah blah. When you think about all the purposes that are served by these MACHINES - it is pretty amazing - IMHO.

LS_Dragons

While I do agree that making an OS that can handle everything is very difficult...but...but....they have a whole bunch of money...is that an underestimate? They have had years and lots of money to get this right and they are doing a pretty decent job but I believe that somebody can create an absolutely stable OS if M$ does not in the next 10 years.

Rick :)

Hey FthrJACK - I bet, if you tried hard enough, you could figure out how to get Windows running on it. And Rick, if you could limit applications to only those made by MS - you could probably get more stability - if not absolutely 100% stable. Another thing to remember - most of us on this board are trying out ALL KINDS of beta this and trial that etc etc etc. We are the last ones to complain about stability. :-)

LS_Dragons