Does SP 2.01 *require* DX9.0c?

• 2 weeks later...
Does SP 2.01 absolutely require DX 9.0c??  Because I find that it uses more memory and bogs down an older computer more than DX 8.1b.

Thanx in advance...

.H*P*D.

"When in doubt, I whip it out!"

nope. you can safely install SP 2.01 regardless of DirectX version.

DirectX 9.0c didn't hamper my neighbor's Win98 PC much but DX 9.0c DOES fix the DirectPlay security problem mentioned in security bulletin MS04-016. There's NO MS04-016 security patch for DX 8.1b for W98/ME. Only for Win2k/XP/2k3.

DX 9.0c is preferable because it works best with 3d graphics cards with 8 megs of video memory or higher and resolves newer security flaws found in DX 8.1.

I know I have an old board that has problems with on-board video if I go past DirectX 8.0a.

Now, when I actually was using the board as my main pc years ago this didn't matter as I usually got frustrated if wanting to play newer 3d games and would install a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI on it. Recently I played with the board in a larger case and found a Voodoo 5 5500 PCI or a Ge-Force 2 32MB MX400 PCI was even better!

However, if desiring to perhaps install an ethernet card instead of a video card (only 2 PCI slots-one used by a combo audio/modem card - darned good card, the Riptide. Everyone hates it but me!) I would be hampered by anything over DirectX8.0a. It does have USB but it is version 1.0, not 1.1 so the internet was only slightly faster than dialup speeds with a cable modem! So, the ethernet connection would be more appropriate.

This is because the SiS5598 will provide DirectX 3d software acceleration up through 8.0a, but anything over that and this support is removed. DxDiag will then report no Direct 3d acceleration available.

Older 3d games are actually quite playable as long as all other programs are closed. But any later DirectX version and these games will not run!

I wonder why this is, as Direct X 9.0c should be backwards compatible. But, there it is. The problem does exist. I wish there was a way to fix that, as the built in 4MB SiS video is pretty sufficient for most stuff if the Direct3d acceleration is there.

Four megabyte video cards whether built into the MB or standalone are crap to DX 8.1 & higher. replace graphics card with eight megs of video RAM or higher. otherwise, stick with DX 8.0a if you don't want to use a video card with more video memory.

The Microsoft American Flag Screen Saver which I downloaded here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/Win...mericanFlag.EXE

will NOT work unless you have a 3D graphics card with at least 8 [NOT 4] megabytes of video RAM and at least DirectX 8.0. You will not be able to view MS's American Flag screensaver with video cards that have 4 megs or less.