Quality Home Networking Kits

Robertson

ello...

since i got my new machine ive been wanting to network both of them together so the other people in my family can share my printer and the internet.

so i want to know if anyone knows any good places where i can pick up a nice kit for around 50 quid (bare in mind i will need about 50ft of cable :)

let me know and ur help would be much appreciated...

laters

All you need is two 100mbps network cards, (get realtek ones) and a 50ft crossover cable to link up the 2 PCs. However if you plan for expansion to your network, you should invest in a 4 or more port hub.

You can get a Realtek hub for about $15 (I'll make you convert it to "quids") and 50ft of cable for as low as $20. That's way under what you want to spend. If you choose to expand later on, you can always buy a router then....

Now...if you are running an internet connection from a cable modem, then you will need to buy a router that is capable of routing cable/dsl. That may cost you about $50 bucks.

Rick :)

Found more than a few at amazon.co.uk. Here is a Linksys kit that includes cable. Extra 10 meters of cable costs £7.99

Availability: usually dispatched within 4 to 6 weeks. Please note that items sometimes go out of stock with the manufacturers or our suppliers.

• * Includes 2 network cards, cabling, 10BaseT hub, and drivers for connecting 2 computers
    * Share files, drives, CD-ROMs, applications, e-mail, and printers in just minutes
    * Optimized for high-performance, 32-bit PCI local bus computers
    * Runs with PCI 486 and Pentium PCs
    * Add computers at any time just by connecting more network cards and cables

If they are out of stock go to a local store. You at least know what to buy. If the computers are going to share an internet connection remember to buy one that supports your type of connection.

Tip. For a wireless setup See this MSFN Post

Thanks all for the help you have given me and I have had a word with a family friend and he is sorting me out with the essentials.

And it looks like im going to get a hub as we may be getting a laptop that might need to connect to the network also. :)

Thanks again and Have a nice Christmas Turkey :rolleyes:

laters

If you are getting a laptop - and can afford a bit more - them go for a hub/router (whichever fits your need) with built in wireless - then when you get the laptop - get a wireless card for it and you can be 'attached' from anywhere in the house!

LS