Wireless Xmas

zipp51

Hi all I'm at my son in laws in RI.He informed me that he wants to install a wireless connection between his wife's Mac and his XP laptop from work.I have an idea of what he needs to buy but haveing never done this I could use some help.He will be getting a cable modem for the Mac.Anyone have evperience or know of a good source? :santa We are going shopping today.

I think both the Mac and PC are 802.11(a/:) based. In that case you can go with a Linksys Broadband Sharing Wireless Router. You hook the line from Cable Modem into the Linksys. The Linksys has 4 ethernet ports (10/100) and Wireless antenna. This lets you share the cable connection to 4 "wired" PC's plus as many wireless PC's as you want. The new models are pretty good - and will easily cover most residential buildings.Check this article - and the rest of the site for some excellent info:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/macnpc.htm

LS_Dragons

BTW Zipp - might as well get 2 setups while you are shopping - cause after you get your kid's up and running - you will want a setup for yoursel :-)

LS

BTW Zipp - might as well get 2 setups while you are shopping - cause after you get your kid's up and running - you will want a setup for yoursel :-)

LS

Thanks LS.I'm in denial at the moment,but your right,seeing how I have been wanting to do this in my own home for a while now.LOL :santa

I have heard only good news about Linksys and how easy it is to setup.

There is a article on my web site front page about Microsoft's new gear you might want to read.

And thank you my friend that's very informative and I'll visit your site more often.I love the hardware stuff. :santa

Okay, I set up one of these last month here, I'm using it to connect my wireless laptop to the whole network.. This is My experience:

Linksys wireless router.. I bought this at first, and I would never buy it again.. It had a very poor signall all over the house, I mean I wouldn't even get 30feet with good signal.. SO I brought it back and got a D-link one..

D-Link, very good signal all over the house, I even put it ontop of a very high place in the living room which gave me a little more coverage, only problem I have is when my laptop goes out of coverage, the Linksys router that's connected to it will lock-up and I have to reset it. This won't be a problem when you have just the D-link router and nothing else connected to the uplink...btw, the D-Link was also very easy to setup..

Here's some pics:

(sorry for lack of quality, my camera sucks)

dsc00176.jpg

This b***h is way up high...

dsc00178.jpg

Can't believe I climbed all the way up here.. (chair didnt make it so I had to pull myself up :)

dsc00179.jpg

Here's a pic of the card (for laptop, du'h)

dsc00180.jpg

This is the signal I get when I'm about 4 walls away at about 30ft I would say...

dsc00182.jpg

My other network side where all the wired pc's are connected..

dsc00183.jpg

Front...

That's it.. Also, the speeds arent like the wired ones, they only get upto 10mb/s but this is more then enough for playing mp'3 over network and even dvd movies have worked...

Totally awesome Filer. Good setup. MSFN First?

Nice  :rolleyes:

MSFN is 1st on all my computers (those networked are not all mine :) ) but on the laptop most of the time It's on MSFN start page, for some strange reason (laptop) it was on www.msn.com today, but I changed it back :D

Filer your house is totaly wired... quite a complex home network setup!

man i hate you now  :rolleyes:

PS. When can i move in?  :)

Lol, we are moving out on march, s***s way to big/expensive.. but we're moving into a little smaller house with more acres all around the house..