[Release] Windows XP PowerPacker

finaly found it: If you remove 'manual install and update' with nLite, you get a BSOD.

deleting the win* folder in I386 is not a problem.

Good news ;) I wonder why it creates an error?

hi all, i've found what was the problem tha caused the BSOD:

\DVD\XOPC\SYSTEM32\SMSS.EXE is missing when using powerpack with my nLited windows. just this. if i manually copy it everything works fine.

i hope this could help anyone

thanks

sonica

Glad you found your issue. :)

Try this. Before running NLite go into your dosnet.inf file and search for "system32\smss.exe" Write down all of the lines you find. Run NLite on it then check the dosnet.inf file again. Are there any differences? If so record your findings and post them at my forum so I can help you further analize it. ;)

Windows XP PowerPacker RC5 is very close to being finished.

I have extensively re-written most of the code to make it function much better.

1. RC4 had hesitation issues when browsing and selecting things. That is fixed in RC5.

2. I have added a checkbox which allows the user to exclude WIN9XUPG folders from being copied to the destination (To help save a lot of space of your final product if you do not plan on using the winnt32.exe upgrade option... which nobody should use anyways).

3. Also another check box for the user to exclude the LANG folder from being copied to the destination (Which also saves a lot of room and is not needed if you are only going to be using a localized version of WinXP).

4. Also as promised... I made major use of the new powpack.ini file! :D You now can call WinXP PowerPacker.exe from a script file using certain parameters and you can actually create your whole entire multiboot disk 100% unattended!!! :o Completley from the first pack to the last pack... and even have it compile your iso into the destination and name you specify! No more sitting at the computer for hours waiting for every pack to finish so you can start the next pack. Once you have created your script file... and your set of ini files all you will need to do is run your script and leave. Come back later and everything is done! I think I deserve a round of applause for that! ;) You all will never know what I had to do to get this program capable of doing that.

Everything I listed above is finished and working 100%... but I am not finished yet. I have a few more ideas packed in this little brain of mine. ;) So stay tuned!!!

OK... now I have added a "Tri-Pack" checkbox.

What this button does is...

After you have selected all of your options to make a full pack, (including Unattended with DriverPacks), you can place a checkmark in the "Tri-Pack" checkbox.

Now when you click on "Pack These Files Into The Destination" you will not only create a pack that is Unattended with driverpacks... but it will automatically create a pack that is Unattended without DriverPacks and a pack that is User Attended Without DriverPacks. So in one sweep you will create a whole set... which I am calling a Tri-Pack.

Another feature I have added is...

Lets say you don't want your pack named "XPPC", you want it named "X234" you can now add a custom name to any pack & it still will make all of the correct changes to every file. (This feature does not work with the Tri-Pack option though.)

Just for a sneak peak at how to use the unattended features that are in the new RC5 release...

==============================================================================

To create a "Pack" or "Tri-Pack" unattendedly all you will need to do is call XP Powerpacker from a script file with 2 parameters.

1. The first parameter is the path and file you wish to use as the ini file. (With quotes if your path contains spaces.)

2. The second parameter needs to be "-pack" (with or without the quotes)

Example:

Creating a Pack or Tri-Pack Unattended

PowerPacker_v1.0_RC5.exe "D:\mypath\tomy\inifile\XP_Corp.ini" -pack

Now if you have finished creating packs and are ready to compile the iso... you can use this set of 4 parameters to Unattendedly "Package ISO"...

1. The first parameter should be "-package" (With or without the quotes)

2. The second parameter is the lable you want on your disk. (With quotes if your name contains spaces.) (Also I think the max abount of characters you can use is 16)

3. The third parameter is the path and file you wish to use as the ini file. (With quotes if your path contains spaces.)

4. The fourth parameter would be the path and filename of the iso you wish to create.

Example:

Packaging ISO Unattended

PowerPacker_v1.0_RC5.exe -package "My PowerPack" "D:\mypath\tomy\inifile\XP_Corp.ini" "D:\ISOs\PowerPackDVD\PowerPackDVD_08-17-05.iso"

Another thing you can do is call XPPowerPacker with 1 parameter to open it using a different ini file than the default powpack.ini file. If the ini file you tell it to open with does not exist WinXP PowerPacker will create a brand new ini file with the name and path you specified. This comes in handy when you are getting your batch file ready. Just create a batch file that will open WinXP Powerpacker 1 by one and create all of your ini files that you will use in you "Packing batch file:.

Example:

Open Windows XP PowerPacker with a different ini file or create a new ini file.

PowerPacker_v1.0_RC5.exe "D:\mypath\tomy\inifile\XPPC.ini"

Edited by Siginet

BartPE would be nice yes.

But what about the size? When you select the 'tri-pack" option. How mutch more space does it need? (I want it all to fit on 1 CD)

Full unattended is nice :-) (but I still have to find out how te edit the BTS script to be unattended for that)

Other question: is it possible to change the bootscreen?

Edited by Telenut

nice :D

koszopal

ps did you add option to add BartPE ? it would be greate to have option for this :D

BartPE support will be added in v2.0 Windows PowerPacker... or a plugin may be created to add BartPE. But yes I do have plans for that.

BartPE would be nice yes.

But what about the size? When you select the 'tri-pack" option. How mutch more space does it need? (I want it all to fit on 1 CD)

The Tri-Pack option does not take up much more space as long as you are creating an optimized ISO. You can use the built in Package ISO feature for that. Also... the tri-pack option actually only puts 2 sets of files in the ROOT folder. The Unattended with DriverPacks is a full pack, The Unattended without DriverPacks is a full pack, and the Regular pack is only the Boot files pointing to the unattended without driverpack ROOT files. (Which is a way to save space)

Also with the "WIN9XUPG and LANG folders being excluded you also save a lot of space.

I currently have a cd with a Tri-Pack of WinXP Pro Corp, Tri-Pack of WinXP Pro Retail and a Tri-Pack of WinXP Pro OEM... all on 1 cd. Which gives me 9 choices to choose from.

Currently WinXP PowerPacker uses CDIMAGE.exe to compile the optimised iso... but probably the next version will get rid of CDIMAGE.EXE and use mkisofs.exe. But a user will easily be able to use cdimage.exe instead of mkisofs.exe if he/she wishes.

Full unattended is nice :-) (but I still have to find out how te edit the BTS script to be unattended for that)
I will be posting a simple tutorial on how to do that. ;)
Other question: is it possible to change the bootscreen?

Manually yes. You can also place your custom cdshell files in the "Extra Root" folder and copy them over the originals. Also... if you make a Windows XP looking boot picture I would like to use it in WinXP PowerPacker. I want to give it more of an XP look. The boot picture it has now is basically the one I made for my own company.

Edited by Siginet

It will allow you to make 3 packs in one process.

Unattended With DriverPacks

Unattended Without DriverPacks

Attended (Regular Install)

There is a little more information in the help file. ;)