The lowdown on Kazaa

Rick

I was just sitting around so I decided to do a little research into what exactly comes bundled with Kazaa. The little app that they put in is disturbing. Brilliant Digital Entertainment teamed up with Sharman Networks to put their little add "sleeper" on your computer for later use. What this thing does is wait until your computer is idle and it then uses your computer bandwidth to power a huge network. It has the ability to turn on your computer without your knowing.. And guess what...it's right there in the 2,644 TOS so you can't say they didn't tell you this! Did you take the time to read it? Well, who reads any of them anyway and this one...you would need a lawyer to go through it with you!

Here are a couple of sites with good resources on this:

ZD Net Article

How to get rid of the spyware

What about Kazaa Lite?

I thought so too, but it turns out that Diet Kazaa, Kazaa lite etc. still have some spyware ... my advice: use something else!

I found This article on Wired News about the development of Kazaa Lite and it appears that it is indeed spyware free. Crispy, I have a feeling that you probably switched from Kazaa to Kazaa lite like most ppl do and some stuff was left behind from Kazaa. But I would like to see what you are talking about...I say don't believe everything that I breath! Hehe

And that's about enough for now.

Rick :)

• 3 weeks later...

kazza is evil!

Odd that its the most downloaded P2P program out there, but then a lot of that is down to word of mouth by the usual PC noobs, people buy their first pc and go install a heap of spyware (sorry, kazaa) on their machine and then wonder why it runs like a slug. I was playing in a game of 1942 and this guy was whining about his ping, turned out he had gator, kazaa and a whole load of other garbage in his machine, he wouldnt acept it was the cause of his ping, and laughed at us when we where all telling him his pc is full of spyware, i think thats one of the reasons. People arent clued up about spyware or how bad it is, some just say "oh well theres nothing on my pc to spy on" and leave it at that, IDIOTS :)

Theres nothing more stupid than people.