Turning Windows into a ROUTER

Long story shot, no it's not posible, and I just wonder how did you made it under win2k because there will be an error as soon as you use same network on 2 or more different NICs

I see you're not too familiar about networks so U might not even know if it is possible.

Anyway, U connect different networks with different IP ranges(subnets)

ex.

Network 1: 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.255

Network 2: 10.0.1.1-10.0.1.255

Network 3: 10.0.2.1-10.0.2.255

Network 4: In my case ADSL, is where U also set DNS for Internet sharing to work on CLIENT computers.

I believe U get the picture.

The problem is connecting all these networks together, so they all have Filesharing and Internet sharing. And here comes Winroute, which does precisely that.

I've read on multiple sites that an option BRIDGE CONNECTION is in effect for this kind of network but I'm not sure if that is true...

So if any1 have any else ideas please let me know.

I don't think you understod my post, anyway what I was aiming at is that you CAN'T use 2 NICs on the same network with the same IP range, but since you want to cacth on the terminology, let me rephrase it. NO IT'S NOT POSSIBLE TO USE 2 NICS ON THE SAME NETWORK SEGMENT WITHIN THE SAME IP RANGE! (if this look like I'm shouting, yes I am) Hope you got it better this time. Anyway, stupid idea, having 3 PCs on 3 different ip rangs just because you hate switches ... maybe you should just start playing with some other less complicated toys :P

I know what you mean, you want to know if it could be done. But, please tell us why you want to put yourself through hell reinventing the wheel?

I know it is possible thru the help of Winroute, which takes me no more than 5min to set up. But I want to know if it is possible in Windows 2k3 without the need for Winroute?

So I could determine which method is more appealing..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Long story shot, no it's not posible, and I just wonder how did you made it under win2k because there will be an error as soon as you use same network on 2 or more different NICs

I see you're not too familiar about networks so U might not even know if it is possible.

Anyway, U connect different networks with different IP ranges(subnets)

ex.

Network 1: 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.255

Network 2: 10.0.1.1-10.0.1.255

Network 3: 10.0.2.1-10.0.2.255

Network 4: In my case ADSL, is where U also set DNS for Internet sharing to work on CLIENT computers.

I believe U get the picture.

The problem is connecting all these networks together, so they all have Filesharing and Internet sharing. And here comes Winroute, which does precisely that.

I've read on multiple sites that an option BRIDGE CONNECTION is in effect for this kind of network but I'm not sure if that is true...

So if any1 have any else ideas please let me know.

I don't think you understod my post, anyway what I was aiming at is that you CAN'T use 2 NICs on the same network with the same IP range, but since you want to cacth on the terminology, let me rephrase it. NO IT'S NOT POSSIBLE TO USE 2 NICS ON THE SAME NETWORK SEGMENT WITHIN THE SAME IP RANGE! (if this look like I'm shouting, yes I am) Hope you got it better this time. Anyway, stupid idea, having 3 PCs on 3 different ip rangs just because you hate switches ... maybe you should just start playing with some other less complicated toys :P

You're mistaken. Ever heard of NIC Teaming? :)

Jason

This can be done.. It is sorta a combination of everything everybody said.. RRAS will do it.. you will have to add a route and why dont you just use a switch are all valid responses..

A switch would make things sooo easy on you.. Is there a major outstanding reason why a switch cannot be used... are you trying to add security to the computers or filter the packets?

This can be done.. It is sorta a combination of everything everybody said.. RRAS will do it.. you will have to add a route and why dont you just use a switch are all valid responses..

A switch would make things sooo easy on you.. Is there a major outstanding reason why a switch cannot be used... are you trying to add security to the computers or filter the packets?

I got 5 x 100MBs NICs 4 free so I tried if the network would work and it does extremly well. I just have to use Winroute PRO which handles the rounting and also the security!