A table for Updates & Hotfixes

I want to make a detailed table for all updates & hotfixes for Windows 98 SE...

It should contain:

- KB number (and link to MS's KB page)

- KB title

- Multilanguage?

- Known Problems

- Deprecated By

- SP Version

Any more idea?

Good idea, but hard to find the right layout.

It would be good to add what files are contained in the update/hotfix and which of them are obsoleted by a newer version - not always the whole package is replaced by new one.

I'd also add the information if the file is available on Windows Update, and if it is classified as "Critical Update". Also Microsoft Security Bulletin numbers could be added (MS05-001 and similar).

And the information what are known differences besides of the differences described in the knowledgebase. For example new sysdm.cpl does not display CPU type.

To achieve several differen views, it would be good to build it as application, not as static web page. Unfortunately it would need much time.

I will send you my tables directly, maybe you will find something useful.

I'm not sure if it can be easily mark files as "multilanguage", or maybe better as "localized" or "localizable". It depends on the language sometimes, some files are translated only to about 8 languages (German, Japanese, etc.) but not to all of them. I have a table what KB files are localized in Czech version of Windows 98 and 98 SE so I can compare your knowledge.

In fact, the only real multilanguage file is msdapml.dll, it contains 35 Locale IDs.

There are also problems with files that seems to be localized, but are not. The best known example is WINBOOT.SYS in 311561CZE8 is US ENGLISH version of the file and it has problems in Czech Windows 98 - Yes/No replies are not localized as applications like FDISK or FORMAT expect.

Petr

Needed updates (We haven't got them):

* Q265528 - vnetbios.vxd

* Q323708 - nscirda.sys

* Q329128 - ndis.vxd, vip.386, pppmac.vxd

New updates (We have them, I haven't added them yet):

* Q282949 - wbemprox.dll

* Q295629 - cbss.vxd

* Q307004 - grouppol.dll

* Q314941 - ssdpapi.dll, ssdpsrv.exe, upnp.dll

Updates that have problems:

* Q252187 - esdi_506.pdr - Causes lockups on some systems

* Q318307 - msmouse.vxd - Causes mouse lockups on some systems

• 2 weeks later...

* Q265528 - vnetbios.vxd

* Q323708 - nscirda.sys

* Q282949 - wbemprox.dll

* Q295629 - cbss.vxd

* Q307004 - grouppol.dll

* Q314941 - ssdpapi.dll, ssdpsrv.exe, upnp.dll

* Q318307 - msmouse.vxd - Causes mouse lockups on some systems

Q318307 does not have updated msmouse.vxd file Gape. Q318307 only has updated vmouse.vxd file. I said in another thread that Q318307 is included in Microsoft Intellipoint 4.12 mouse software. The msmouse.vxd file version(s) that cause mouse lockups might be the ones that are included in Intellipoint mouse software. It can NOT be used without Intellipoint. You may want to consider getting the Q254660 msmouse.vxd 4.10.2223 patch as this one is Win98se specific, not Intellipoint specific.

Q282949 wbemprox.dll requires WMI 1.5 which is NOT included in Win98 SE; you won't be able to add it on to your pack. Win98se has an older version of Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) which is version 1.1. MS forgot to mention in support article 282949 the version number of wbemprox.dll file and the WMI version the patch requires. Q282949 has wbemprox.dll file v1.50.1085.45. Original version of that file that came with Win98se is 1.10.698.0000. Using Q282949 under the bundled WMI in Win98se (v1.1) might mess things up and that's why you need to install WMI 1.5 first.

Q329128 was not available when I asked MS support more than a week ago. will try again on this one in late May or early June.

Q314941 will also have to be left out because it requires UPnP which is NOT included in Win98se. CLASYS mentioned how to get Q314941 to work under Win98se here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=40226&st=10

The links to old Ben Waleehm's web site no longer works, MDGx. The web.archive.org site is also dead. I get no response when going there.

Hi erpdude8,

I think it is not so easy with Q282949 and Q314941.

These hotfixes are not needed for fresh clean install of Windows 98 SE.

These hotfixes are intended for Windows 98 SE.

The SE SP can be applied to Windows 98 SE with WBEM 1.5 and UPNP installed - and then it should contain really all updates and hotfixes that MS issued for W98SE - or not?

It's similar problem like with snmp.exe Q314147, but it is even stranger - it seems that snmp.exe is completely missing in W98, but it is included in W95 or W2K. And now the question - add it even if it is missing, or not to add it? And if not, why to add it to the SP at all?

The MSMOUSE.VXD that causes lockups is probably form Q238668?

Petr

WRONG!!!! Q282949 and Q314941 can be installed on BOTH Windows 98 first AND second editions. As long as Q282949 sees that you have installed WMI/WBEM 1.5 from MS article 322363 under any version of Win98, the patch will work. I'm not kidding. I've installed WMI 1.5 under Win98fe and Q282949 worked. When I try to run Q282949 w/out installing WMI 1.5, the patch refused to install the updated file.

Q314147 snmp.exe & snmpapi.dll patch you CAN install with or without the SNMP network protocol installed from the Win98 CD. Run 314147usa8.exe file for yourself Petr and you will see! The snmp.exe file isn't installed on a normal Win98 setup. If you want, you can install the SNMP Protocol from the Win98 CD (look for the SNMP folder on the Win98 CD; there's an .INF file that will install the SNMP Protocol and the snmp.exe file should be there).

Q314941 is a little tough. If you do NOT have the Universal Plug & Play service from an WinXP-ICS client installed on a Win98 system [read Microsoft support article 314941 VERY carefully, Petr; pay attention to details there], the Q314941 will NOT work. Email CLASYS on how to install the "security-flawed" UPnP service on a Win98 system.

WRONG!!!! Q282949 and Q314941 can be installed on BOTH Windows 98 first AND second editions.

I did not write that it is not for FE. This thread is about SE so I've mentioned SE only.
As long as Q282949 sees that you have installed WMI/WBEM 1.5 from MS article 322363 under any version of Win98, the patch will work.  I'm not kidding.  I've installed WMI 1.5 under Win98fe and Q282949 worked.  When I try to run Q282949 w/out installing WMI 1.5, the patch refused to install the updated file.
So it means that SE SP should test the version of WMI installed and install this hotfix only if WMI 1.5 is installed, right?
Q314147 snmp.exe & snmpapi.dll patch you CAN install with or without the SNMP network protocol installed from the Win98 CD.  Run 314147usa8.exe file for yourself Petr and you will see!  The snmp.exe file isn't installed on a normal Win98 setup.  If you want, you can install the SNMP Protocol from the Win98 CD (look for the SNMP folder on the Win98 CD; there's an .INF file that will install the SNMP Protocol and the snmp.exe file should be there).
I was mentioning this because while Q314147 installs snmp.exe even if it does not already exist, SE SP does not install it. Thank you for pointing me to the snmp.exe in the Resource Kit on the CD - I was using Windows 98 versions from MSDN and there was not Resource Kit included. Now I see.
Q314941 is a little tough.  If you do NOT have the Universal Plug & Play service from an WinXP-ICS client installed on a Win98 system [read Microsoft support article 314941 VERY carefully, Petr; pay attention to details there], the Q314941 will NOT work.
If I remember correctly, Q314941 just does nothing if UPNP is not installed - it just write " This update is not designed for your version of Windows." That's OK, this update is needed only if Windows XP ICS client is installed.
Email CLASYS on how to install the "security-flawed" UPnP service on a Win98 system.

After your comments and 2.0 release, I revised the list:

* Q254660 - msmouse.vxd

* Q265528 - vnetbios.vxd

* Q323708 - nscirda.sys

* Q282949 - wbemprox.dll (Checking of WMI installation is required)

* Q295629 - cbss.vxd

* Q314941 - ssdpapi.dll, ssdpsrv.exe, upnp.dll (Checking of XP ICS client installation is required)

* Q314941 - ssdpapi.dll, ssdpsrv.exe, upnp.dll (Checking of XP ICS client installation is required)

No Gape. Q314941 will STILL have to be left out. Look inside the Q314941 Win98 patch! The files inside are WINME versions. WinME versions I tell you!! You include these files in your SP, you are going AGAINST your policy of not including WinME version files. I thought you need a WinME license if you're going to put WinME versioned files into your 98se SP.

Q314941 has ssdpapi.dll version 4.90.3003, ssdpsrv.exe version 4.90.3003 and upnp.dll version 4.90.3003.0. They are NOT v4.10!!! Got that Gape. So it'll have to be left out.

No Gape.  Q314941 will STILL have to be left out.  Look inside the Q314941 Win98 patch!  The files inside are WINME versions.  WinME versions I tell you!!  You include these files in your SP, you are going AGAINST your policy of not including WinME version files.  I thought you need a WinME license if you're going to put WinME versioned files into your 98se SP.

Q314941 has ssdpapi.dll version 4.90.3003, ssdpsrv.exe version 4.90.3003 and upnp.dll version 4.90.3003.0.  They are NOT v4.10!!!  Got that Gape.  So it'll have to be left out.

Why are you so angry? :no: I'm not stupid. You should be more polite when you write on public forums.

Yes, I don't want to include WinME files, But this update is released for WIN98! Microsoft released it! It should be an exception.

Again, I tell you, I don't WANT to include WinME files like DEFRAG.EXE, SPOOLSS.DLL. But why? Do you know that? To avoid WinME license requirement, also I don't want include original OS files, I TRY to include only UPDATED files. Files like DEFRAG.EXE, SPOOLSS.DLL are not released as updates from Microsoft. They requires WinME license for installing on a Win98 system. But this update (314941) doesn't require a WinME license, because it's released an update for Win98 by Microsoft.

Q314941 has ssdpapi.dll version 4.90.3003, ssdpsrv.exe version 4.90.3003 and upnp.dll version 4.90.3003.0.  They are NOT v4.10!!!  Got that Gape.  So it'll have to be left out.

no exceptions Gape!!

Q314941 has the VERY SAME EXACT versions of the ssdpapi.dll, ssdpsrv.exe and upnp.dll files as that of the WinME Q314757 patch. again, it'll have to be left out of the SP.

...and UPNP was never included in 98. UPNP was first introduced in WinME and improved in WinXP.

no exceptions Gape!!

Q314941 has the VERY SAME EXACT versions of the ssdpapi.dll, ssdpsrv.exe and upnp.dll files as that of the WinME Q314757 patch.  again, it'll have to be left out of the SP.

...and UPNP was never included in 98.  UPNP was first introduced in WinME and improved in WinXP.

From KB article:

However, the UPnP service can be installed on a Windows 98-based or Windows 98 Second Edition-based computer by installing the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) client that is included with Windows XP.

Hi erpdude8.

I think Gape has explained it well - there is no policy of not including WinME files, there is a policy of not including files that require additional license.

Gape's service pack tries to contain all Win98 SE updates and hotfixes that were created by Microsoft for Windows 98 SE. And this is hotfix released by Microsoft for Windows 98 SE. To abide this rule, it has to be included, there should be no exceptions.

Petr