The personal info microsoft collects and hides

I typed in:

C:\>CD WINDOWS<ENTER>

C:\WINDOWS>CD TEMPOR~1<ENTER>

If you do a DIR (shows you the contents of the directory you are currently in) like this:

C:\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\>DIR<enter>

You would find there is nothing listed, however if you then type in

c:\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\>CD CONTENT.IE5<enter>

You are now in a folder that DOS says doesn't exist. if you do a DIR here like this:

c:\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\CONTENT.IE5\>DIR<enter>

Ever heard of the command:

DIR /A

? :lol:

And index.dat contains personal info for yor own sake.... you can clear it from IE's options interface.

Dont say things that you have not even tested. I can guess why you and other mods and admins are trying to make Microslop look good by trying to say that nothing is wrong with Microslop/windows, But at the end of the day you don't have any evedenace to say I am wrong.

Windows stores history and tracks your usage - fact (this is for customising only)

Windows HIDES something - nonsensical myth (as I proved - ever heard of the command I told? :P)

Windows transmits something to microsoft without your knowledge - myth (as Zxian proved above)

This is all you have said above. Have something more to add?

And mod or not... that is not related to what many members here are trying to tell!

The fact is there's a lot literature out there, that seeks to demonise any market leader, and most of it untrue.

Did you know MS is storing the size of your shoe?

Ah, I am quite depressed when I read hoaxes like this :( I spend a years working with NT architecture base Windows, often using tool like filemon or debuggers - DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ SOMEWHERE people :( BTW I was working on antirootkit technology - I think if Microsoft woul try to hide something (why should they do it???), I would notice...

Similar hoaxes as spyware integrated to windows :(

Just for reference, here are the two main pages where how and when MS collects and (if) sends any data:

http://www.hevanet.com/peace/microsoft.htm

http://www.utdallas.edu/~jbs024000/article...plorer_spy.html

Please, before flaming me, note that I do not endorse the contents of the linked pages, and cannot say how much of what is there described is true, though I, for one, don't like some of the "features" some MS programs have, typically the signature on Office 97 files.

At the time, when it was found out, there were big questions raised and, though there was a freeware program to remove the signature available almost immediately, MS had to make and publish on his site a dedicated tool to remove the "feature".

I never used versions of Office later than 97, so I don't know if the "feature" is still there (for files with macros only) as stated in the first linked article.

Sure enough the one above I am sure about is NOT an attempt to Privacy, but still it is a demonstration of the POSSIBILITY that MS COULD do some tracking, like it did with the (in)famous Media Player version that "phoned home" titles of videos, unless people keep a watch on it.

jaclaz

Just for reference, here are the two main pages where how and when MS collects and (if) sends any data:

http://www.hevanet.com/peace/microsoft.htm

http://www.utdallas.edu/~jbs024000/article...plorer_spy.html

Please, before flaming me, note that I do not endorse the contents of the linked pages, and cannot say how much of what is there described is true, though I, for one, don't like some of the "features" some MS programs have, typically the signature on Office 97 files.

At the time, when it was found out, there were big questions raised and, though there was a freeware program to remove the signature available almost immediately, MS had to make and publish on his site a dedicated tool to remove the "feature".

I never used versions of Office later than 97, so I don't know if the "feature" is still there (for files with macros only) as stated in the first linked article.

Sure enough the one above I am sure about is NOT an attempt to Privacy, but still it is a demonstration of the POSSIBILITY that MS COULD do some tracking, like it did with the (in)famous Media Player version that "phoned home" titles of videos, unless people keep a watch on it.

jaclaz

OMG!!! Thanks for leting me know!!!

I have been searching through my registry and found registry entries that have been loging the files I have opened and in what program. I have desided to do up a reg file and post on the internet to help other people get rid of these entries.

The following reg file is made for windows 98 SE, not tested for all other operating systems.

REGEDIT4

;Reg entries I have found to be true which http://www.utdallas.edu/~jbs024000/articles/explorer_spy.html
;has mentioned
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International\CpMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}\Count]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{75048700-EF1F-11D0-9888-006097DEACF9}\Count]

;Reg entries I have found Myself.
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Papyrus Software\VMH\MRU]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved]
{6756A641-DE71-11d0-831B-00AA005B4383}=-
[-HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\CpMRU]
[-HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU]
[-HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs]
[-HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU]
[-HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams]
[-HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder]
[-HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU]
[-HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Wordpad\Recent File List]
[-HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Software\WinRAR\ArcHistory]

;These are reg entries that I can't find which  http://www.utdallas.edu/~jbs024000/articles/explorer_spy.html
;has mentioned
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\ContainingTextMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\LastVisitedMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MapNetworkDriveMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\SPW]

;May have to check later when I a network etc to see if the reg entries turn up.

I have also made some batch files that will delete these files that expose your privacy and delete above mentioned registry entries, which you run it instead of going start\shutdown\etc. I have also got it to do a scandisk, scan registry, and defrag your harddrives, and then automaticly shutdown the computer when it is done. this is an unattended batch file.

I have got it working, but I had just made some changes, so I wont post it until I have given it another test.

Check out CCleaner (free) and Disable some Window Services.

I really reccomend a good Firewall, ex ZoneAlarm (free).

BlackViper's website had a well known list, but the site is being renovated i think.

I actually posted a Full List of registry tweaks to disable these services here:

BlackViper Service Configurations Registry Keys

Edited by DigeratiPrime

@smercer: so what... they are in your registry. They are really there to help you out. Your programs give you shortcuts to recent items you have opened. It's useful for other programs. The stuff in your registry isn't automatically sent to Microsoft, and so what it if was... It would tell them what the names of your files are. BIG DEAL. You realize that the only people who are this concerned with that information are usually the ones who aren't doing everything legit. I work as the Director of IT for a multi-million dollar company and I am not even concerned about the things you are throwing a fit about. Get over it.

@smercer: so what...  they are in your registry.  They are really there to help you out.  Your programs give you shortcuts to recent items you have opened.  It's useful for other programs.  The stuff in your registry isn't automatically sent to Microsoft, and so what it if was...  It would tell them what the names of your files are.  BIG DEAL.  You realize that the only people who are this concerned with that information are usually the ones who aren't doing everything legit.  I work as the Director of IT for a multi-million dollar company and I am not even concerned about the things you are throwing a fit about.  Get over it.

Sounds like you like lots of spam filling your inbox. Spyware will certainly help you out...spending your money that is.