Can't shut down

Heartofgold

I can't believe this. Out of the blue now, I can't shut down my computer. I haven't done anything different to my computer. I usually leave it on, but I went away last weekend so I shut it down and now after I restarted it, it will not shut down I have to hold the button down until it does.

Do you have Automatic Updates turned on? You could have downloaded an update and on reboot it loaded. I would try doing a manual Windows Update & download all Critical Updates and Driver Updates. That might be an easy fix.

I'd first suspect a setting in the BIOS that's interpreting a "turn off" as power loss, and is trying to restart the system for you. This is usually an adjustable behavior via the BIOS setup:

To access the setup tool, on many Gateways, you tap the F1 or F2 key about once a second or so as the PC wakes up from a cold start. (Other brands and models use the Del or Esc or other keys. Check your owner's manual, or the online manual at the vendor's site, for the exact method of accessing the BIOS setup.)

Once you see the BIOS setup screens, look for something relating to "restart after power loss" or "system state after AC back" or any similar concept: The idea is to find a setting relating to what the PC does when the power goes out. You may find this under "Power Management" or some other section of the setup pages.

Once you've found the setting, adjust it so that the PC stays off after a power loss, instead of "turning on," "waking up," "reverting to previous state," or whatever other verbiage you may see: You want the PC to ignore a power loss (for any reason, including a "turn off" event) and simply stay off.

If the above turns out not to be the problem, then the BIOS or power supply may have problems. (It's also possible it's a software issue in Windows own power management routines, but that seems very unlikely.) You might try re-flashing (a kind of upgrading) your BIOS, via the info and instructions on the vendor site (search for "flash" and "bios"). Other vendors sell replacement BIOSes too, if you'd rather go that route:

http://www.google.com/search?q=replacement+bios

If that doesn't help, I'd suspect the power supply. You may also wish to see if your vendor offers replacement power supplies; or, try an aftermarket source. Power supplies don't have to cost a lot, and they're surprisingly easy to replace (usually just four screws!):

http://www.google.com/search?q=replacement+power+supply

Are you talking about it won't shut down past what screen? What happens at that point when you hit CTRL-ALT-DEL? It could be a BIOS setting but Windows in notoriuos for shut down problems when the wrong drivers are loaded. It doesn't happen in XP as much as previous OSes. You try try a system restore but if you don't reboot often that probably won't be very helpful. I doubt it is actually a hardware problem but you never know... Look and see what is running in task manager and try to kill every process you can before shutdown. That might help in troubleshooting.

Hmmmm... interesting. I know that this doesn't happen often, but I've seen that on a few occassions, that XP cannot kill a hung process.

You can try modifying the WaitToKillAppTimeout and HungAppTimeout:

1. Start Regedit.

2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

3. Select HungAppTimeout from the list on the right.

4. Right on it and select Modify.

5. Change the value to the new timeout value.

6. Select WaitToKillAppTimeout

7. Right-click on it and select Modify

8. Change the value to the new kill timeout.

The Wait To Kill is the key one...

And, changing the

I am now gettinga blue screen when I try to shutdown.

It says A problwm has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer

Error

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***STOP: 0x000000D1 ( 0x0000002B, 0x00000002, 0X00000000, 0xF7B1F9B0 )

*** kbdclass.sys - Address F7B1F9B0 base at F7B1F000, Datestamp 41107b08

Don't know what it means?

After if I press the off button on the CPU it shutdowns the computer. If I restart and then press to shutdown, this same warning comes up and then if I press the button it shuts down

This is waht the Event Viewer Shows

Windows saved user WINXP\Owner registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

No, I do not have symantec norton internet security installed.

I did do a System Restore back to a time when I didn't have this problem, but it's still happening now.

If I go into Safe Mode, then I can shut down the normal way

Two things it is likley to be:

bad driver

spyware

visit www.microsoft.com and download the anti spyware beta, install that and run it and remove anything it finds. Visit windows update and update your system... try again then and post back. It sounds like a program or driver is running, and Windows system cannot shut it down in the kill process, and it causes the system to crash. spyware is usualy the cause, but the irq_not_less_or_equal thing is an annoying as hell problem i have suffered from before, searching the net doesent produce much results (or didnt when i suffered with it)

My problem was a bad driver, which was easy fixed.

Are you using a Logitech mouse or keyboard with either The Logitech Mouse Ware software or The Logitech iTouch software loaded? Version 9.10 and 9.24 of MouseWare and pre 1.5 of iTouch will cause an error similar to what you are describing. If this is the case just go to logitech.com and download the latest software :)

Are you using a Logitech mouse or keyboard with either The Logitech Mouse Ware software or The Logitech iTouch software loaded?  Version 9.10 and 9.24 of MouseWare and pre 1.5 of iTouch will cause an error similar to what you are describing. If this is the case just go to logitech.com and download the latest software :)

Yes I am using the mouse and keyboard. Will go to check it out

Two things it is likley to be:

bad driver

spyware

visit www.microsoft.com and download the anti spyware beta, install that and run it and remove anything it finds. Visit windows update and update your system... try again then and post back. It sounds like a program or driver is running, and Windows system cannot shut it down in the kill process, and it causes the system to crash. spyware is usualy the cause, but the irq_not_less_or_equal thing is an annoying as hell problem i have suffered from before, searching the net doesent produce much results (or didnt when i suffered with it)

My problem was a bad driver, which was easy fixed.

I already have the microsoft anti-spyware program, ran it and also other programs such as ad-aware etc. I have, Have all the latest updates downloaded and installed so that won't help me but thank you