MenuShowDelay to affect all users

Hi,

I was wondering, if there's a way to set the same menushowdelay (or any similar settings from the HKEY_CURRENT USER) settings for all existing and future users of my machine via registry.

I have tried this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop]
"MenuShowDelay"="0"

But it only affected the current user...

I have also tried this:

[HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Control Panel/Desktop
"MenuShowDelay"="0"

But it didn't worked either.

Thanks in advanced for your replies.

use this edmoncu, but make sure you do it at the GUI setup, not at the first logon...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop]"MenuShowDelay"="0"

[HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Control Panel/Desktop]

"MenuShowDelay"="0"

hi bts, are you referring on running regedit directly from the cmdlines.txt?

should i also include these when i add to registry?

"MenuShowDelay"="0"

hi... i would like to ask a follow-up question if its okay. i would like to set the default settings for all users (HKLM or HKU) to be like this.

however, most of the settings available i have seen so far were applied only to the current user (HKCU).

and upon looking at the equivalent HKLM settings, folder settings are divided into subsections (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder).

i am kinda confused at how to set things there... any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advanced.

anyhow, here's what i wanna set for all users on the folder options leaving other options at their defaults:

- Display the contents of system folders

- Do not cache thumbnails

- Hidden files and folders

Show hidden files and folders

- Not to Hide extensions for known file types

- Not to Hide protected operating system files

- Not to Remember each folder's view settings

- Restore previous folder windows at logon

- Show Control Panel in My Computer

- Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color

- Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items

- Use simple file sharing

Again, thank you very much in advanced and more power.

post-18725-1113297830_thumb.png

post-18725-1113297858_thumb.png

You've got your slashes wrong. This is supposed to be [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

As for your question on Folder options settings, make the settings you want, export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced and import it from cmdlines.txt

@VAD: thanks for pointing that one out, but im sorry, i just made a typo at my post there.

anyways, i believe, this is the key that i needed to play in the registry with...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden

so far, i have seen a couple of appearances that might globally control the default folder-option settings

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\ControlPanelInMyComputer]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\DisableThumbCache]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\ShowFullPath]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\SuperHidden]

but what im a bit confused is how i should set the values with the following keys... So far, I have found common settings used on those keys. For example:

"CheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000

i'd highly appreciate if somebody could clarify to me further on how these values work. thanks in advanced.

• 3 years later...
Hi,

I was wondering, if there's a way to set the same menushowdelay (or any similar settings from the HKEY_CURRENT USER) settings for all existing and future users of my machine via registry.

I know this thread is nearly five years old, but I thought I would respond for the benefit those who might come across it looking for an answer to the question.

If a setting is in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then it must be set for each individual user profile you want it to apply to. In REGEDIT, you would select File > Load Hive (it's only enabled when either of hives HKLM or HKU is selected), browse to the path of the user's NTUSER.DAT in the root of their profile folder, and give the temporarily loaded hive a name. It will then show up as a new subkey under HKLM or HKU. Edit the setting as necessary, select the temporary subkey you created, and select File > Unload Hive. To edit the setting for all NEW users, simply load the NTUSER.DAT from the default user profile ("\Documents and Settings\Default User\NTUSER.DAT"). Just be sure you unload the hive after editing, or regedit will leave a lock on the file so it can't be opened, and the user whose hive you forgot to unload will get a brand new NTUSER.DAT and it will look like they are logging in for the first time.

To do this from a script, use the REG command. See "REG LOAD /?" and "REG IMPORT /?" for details. Just make sure your .reg file uses the same temporary hive name(s) in its key paths as the name(s) you assign with with REG LOAD.

c.s