Silence of the foxes

LaptoniC

Sorry guys I have no idea :(

ps:I have updated install.exe in my package and added support for custom installation directory other than default [PROGRAMFILESDIR]\Mozilla Firefox.First page updated.

Edited by LaptoniC

@LaptoniC

im having alittle trouble installing the extension quicknote, you say to edit out the prefs.js file by editing out all the hardcoded addys

im not really sure how t do what you ask, i know the addys need to be removed like that

but does that mean we leave that part blank from " to " ?

user_pref("quicknote.tab1path", "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Lost Soul\\Application Data\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\er0fgac3.default\\chrome\\quicknote1.txt");

user_pref("quicknote.tab2path", "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Lost Soul\\Application Data\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\er0fgac3.default\\chrome\\quicknote2.txt");

user_pref("quicknote.tab3path", "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Lost Soul\\Application Data\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\er0fgac3.default\\chrome\\quicknote3.txt");

user_pref("quicknote.tab4path", "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Lost Soul\\Application Data\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\er0fgac3.default\\chrome\\quicknote4.txt");

so you mean for example remove all them lines that ive just pasted in my previous post,, but wouldnt that stop quicknote from installing at all ?

or if i remove every line that has a path into it,,, does that path get recreated with a default one ?

Edited by Lost Soul

im haing alot of trouble trying to use this app.

Managed to find the Jar file for the theme. i placed it in the theme folder in profiles and it doesnt seem to have built it into the silent one. its not silent it stil says extracting when u run it ive tried the install switches and none have worked. also it doesnt seem to keep the preferances like not showing the bookmarks toolbar. still has the annoying extra search engines built in and doesnt keep the window position either.

Edited by ScubaSteve

@LaptoniC

This worked great for me when working with Firefox 1.0.2, but like Lost Soul and bonedaddy my preferences are not being carried over when I try this with Firefox 1.0.4. For example, I have the icons set to "small icons" and the Bookmarks Toolbar is removed, but the changes do not stick after repacking.

I notice in Step 2 that I "should have at least profile.js in the Project-->Profiles directory," but instead I find only prefs.js. Has something changed between the versions that might be causing the problem? Shouldn't SOF be looking for "prefs.js" instead of profiles.js?

Edited by blinkdt

profile.js I dont have that file.Sof copies profile.js,bookmarks.html and mimeTypes.rdf from original your current firefox to Project\Profiles directory.I really dont know what are you trying to say could you please be more specific.Thanks.

For Laptonic:

profile.js I dont have that file.
I do not find it either. Instead, I have prefs.js, bookmarks.html, mimeTypes.rdf--as you note--and a few other files in my "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile" directory. So far so good.

But when I put Firefox Setup 1.0.4.exe in the extracted Sof directory and run Sof.exe, I find this message at Step 2:

Copy your files and pack. Warning!! you should have at least profile.js in your projects profile directory. You may add or remove files before packing.

And that is where I get confused. I see that prefs.js gets copied, together with the other files you mentioned, and all of my bookmarks are transferred nicely but not my prefs (for example, I set small icons, remove bookmarks toolbar from view, etc.). Could it be that S.O.F is trying to read a non-existent "profiles.js" files when it should be looking for "prefs.js?" Because after I install, I have big icons and the bookmarks toolbar again?!

I guess I made a typo :) Sorry for that.It is prefs.js.I will change it.Thanks.

Your other settings maybe on another file.Some extensions keeps their settings on separate file.I tested it again today and my prefs.js is transfered successfully.I really dont know the reason.For test purposes,copy your profiles directory from your computer C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla , Make new silent package with all your extensions and themes.Delete above directoy.Uninstall your current firefox installation.Run created firefoxsilent.exeWhen it is finished compare your prefs.js.If they are'nt same then we have a bug but if they are same it means those settings are keep on other files.

Bingo! Looks like localstore.rdf, which is responsible for things like iconsize="small," is not carrying over. After I install Firefox and make changes to the browser GUI, the 1KB localstore.rdf file found in the application data directory becomes a 2KB file. But after creating the package, then deleting the application data and uninstalling Firefox, I run the silent install and again have only a 1KB localstore.rdf file, not the 2KB file that was holding my preferences. The prefs.js file is fine, but apparently that is NOT the file that maintains a lot of the settings.

Hope this makes sense.

Edit: Excellent! So I simply copied my localstore.rdf file to the profiles directory between the "copy" and "pack" phases in Step 2 and everything went well! Thanks for your attention, Laptonic, and this is truly a great app!

Edited by blinkdt

that sounds grerat,, so let me get this right all i have to do is manually get and put the localstore.rdf file in the profiles directory before i hit the pack button then everything should go alright..

i gotta try this anything to get them settings to stick. :)

I am glad that it finally worked :) I dont want to add localstore.rdf to Profile directory because it has hardcoded paths like

engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CMozilla%20Firefox%5Csearchplugins%5Cyahoo.src

I really dont know what will happen if you install it to directory other than you configured.