File Sharing Permissions

Hi everyone!

I have a small network with 3 PC's:

1. My first PC with WinXP Pro (SP1) - English

2. My second PC with WinXP Pro (SP1) - English

3. My girlfriends Laptop with WinMCE - German

All connected using a D-Link ADSL Router. My GF's brother also uses her laptop and has it's own account. Now I would like to share some folders on my HD with my GF only, so basically I would like to share a folder and only give my GF access/permission to that folder.

Now I turned off 'Simple File Sharing' so I can set the permissions etc. But if I go to the sharing tab of the folder, which I would like to share, go to permissions and say 'add' to add my GF as a user to have permission, I can't find her! If I click 'advanced' to search a user, I can only search on MY PC and NOT on her laptop.

How can I add her user-account to the permissions of a shared folder on my PC???

Thx in advance!!

• 3 weeks later...

quicksilk, I want to have something similar to what Peter G wants to set up but I don't know if ur method does it. Doesn't this create a user account locally, and can the user then access it from a different PC? Or does it work if we make the user name and pass match the one from the other PC? I'm confused :S

quicksilk, I want to have something similar to what Peter G wants to set up but I don't know if ur method does it. Doesn't this create a user account locally, and can the user then access it from a different PC? Or does it work if we make the user name and pass match the one from the other PC? I'm confused :S

Yes, with Administrative rights. Your better off creating a new group with less control over the system.

The reason you can't add her into the permission is because she does not have an account on your pc. Goto user accounts in control panel and add her as a user. The domain will be the computername. Once you do that you should be able to add her to the permissions. :thumbup

sorry for being unclear. I want to be able to access my files on PC 1 from a remote PC on my network without having to create user/pass in that second PC... basically, just like to "log-in" to my PC1 as one of the users of PC1. Understand?? kinda?

If the PC's are networked would always use a password even if it is in the house.

You could disable security on your network shares, this would enable them to be used by all users tthat have file and printer sharing installed.

Or you could setup PC1 with a user the same as PC2

PC1 = Jblogs = yorpassword

PC2 = Jblogs = yorpassword

if you set the pcs up like this you will be able to not require a password to use the share although they will be blockked from other users. Also you could hide the user with a reg tweak so it appears they do not exisit on the welcome screen.

basically, just like to "log-in" to my PC1 as one of the users of PC1

This is the part that throws me, as it sounds like you may want to use Remote Desktop ? And for this I am unaware of any way to login without a password using the standard tools.

hope this helps