Make Windows Explorer Start In C Automaticly

Hi i got something new that i'm trying to figger out. As the title says... i want to get Windows Explorer to start in C automaticly. I know how to make this happen manually by changing the target in the shortcut, or atleast by adding: /n,/e,c: to the end of the already excisting target path.

But how can i make this happen during my unattended CD, maybe with a registry tweak or a cmd file that changes the target path for me.

How can i make this happen? If possible?

It is enough if i can only change the target file of the Windows Explorer link in the Start Menu, i can then copy that link to my desktop and quicklaunch.

Hope this is possible...

Thanks in advance, cheers!

I create my link using shortcut.exe (do a search) with the command;

shortcut.exe /F:"%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\File Management\Windows Explorer.lnk" /A:C /T:"%SystemRoot%\explorer.EXE" /I:explorer.EXE,1 /R:1 /P:"/n, /e, /select, C:\"

I do mine with vbScript like this:

'Create Windows Explorer Desktop icon

Set Shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

DesktopPath = Shell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersDesktop")

Set link = Shell.CreateShortcut(DesktopPath & "\Explorer.lnk")

link.Arguments = "/n,/e,c:\"

link.Description = "Explorer link"

link.HotKey = "CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+E"

link.IconLocation = "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe"

link.TargetPath = "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe"

link.WindowStyle = 1

link.WorkingDirectory = "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%"

link.Save

'Create Windows Explorer Quick Launch icon

Const OverwriteExisting = True

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

If objFSO.FolderExists("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\") Then

objFSO.CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Explorer.lnk" , "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\", OverwriteExisting

Else

Set objFolder = objFSO.CreateFolder("C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\")

objFSO.CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Explorer.lnk" , "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\", OverwriteExisting

End If

If objFSO.FolderExists("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\") Then

objFSO.CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Explorer.lnk" , "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\", OverwriteExisting

Else

Set objFolder = objFSO.CreateFolder("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\")

objFSO.CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Explorer.lnk" , "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\", OverwriteExisting

End If

To start explorer in 'C' drive simply use this as this as the target for your shortcut.

explorer.exe /e,/select

Shark

ps: to have it start on 'My Computer' use this as the target.

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

Thanks, i already knew that target path had to be /n,/e,c: but just needed to get the shortcut to have that automaticly, kinda stupide that i didn't thought of just copying the shortcut from my CD, it's so easy... but i was thinking to difficult.

Thanks! cheers!

• 4 months later...