Batch File Wont Get Past "local Settings" Folder?

ceez

zup peeps!

I am trying to run a simple batch that will delete my temp internet files under "C:\Documents and Settings\ceez\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

The problem is that it cant get past the "Local Settings" folder. I write my batch like this:

del C:\Docume~1\ceez\Local ~1\Tempor~1\*.*

The space between local & settings kills me, I type \Local[space]~1\, how can I get around the space?

thkz

:thumbup

ceez

C:\DOCUME~1\CEEZ\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\*.*

or better still, for an example, change the command to,

IF EXIST "%USERPROFILE%\locals~1\tempor~1" DEL /F /Q /A "%USERPROFILE%\locals~1\tempor~1\*.*"

PS

Sorry for the edit, I was going to just leave it at the first code box, but..... that avatar.....I just.....had to offer more......

Edited by Yzöwl

Sorry for the edit, I was going to just leave it at the first code box, but..... that avatar.....I just.....had to offer more......

lol.... that's the lovely chest of one of the 2004 hooter girls calendar!!! I was testing out the zoom on the digital camera....you should see the full 1024*768!!! :yes:

but going back to the batch.... :)

so when there are spaces like the "local settings" folder, I just ignore the space and type it out "locals~1". this would apply to any other folder similar to local settings?

thkz

:thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

You are better off running the Deltree command to do something of that nature as huge hidden subdirecties exsist under Temporay Internet Files. Don't forget about the Temp directory as well that fills up with virues and garbage too. You actually better off to download SafeXP and check off Empty Temporary Internet Files on exit for the Internet thing though.

http://www.theorica.net/safexp.htm

KAndle

http://www.KAndleConsulting.com

You should try it this way :

del "C:\Documents and Settings\ceez\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*" /F /S /Q

and

del "C:\Documents and Settings\ceez\Local Settings\Temp\*.*" /F /S /Q

This work fine in my batch.

I've tried this before but the IE temp internet folder ("Content.IE5") has a special system attribute and you just cannot delete it while logged on in normal mode.

You can do it in Safe Mode, or if you dual boot, from another XP installation (in that case you can simply delete the whole thing in Windows Explorer - I do this regularly).