New Option for Installing Applications - W.A.I.T.

1) add our own customization buttons (ex: 'select all', 'select none', 'Default config 1', 'laptop config').  This can be easily defined by having a line somewhere that goes like:

laptop config = UID1, UID2, etc.

so whatever UID is listed there will be selected when that option is chosen.

This is an interesting idea. I will consider adding a couple of buttons that you can customize as suggested.

2) make it more professional looking.  the boxes on the left are too wide, and take up too much space

I have made the boxes more narrow. Remember these boxes are used to display information about each item. If they are too small you will not be able to put as much information on the screen.

3) make the dependent programs automatically-select the things that are needed, instead of blocking them from installing until the other is checked.

This will create an interesing question. If you check "ITEM A" and then I automatically check the other needed items, what do I do if you uncheck "ITEM A", do I leave all the others checked? do I uncheck all the other items? What if you really selected the other items one at a time? It will create a user interface nightmare (IMO).

is this program based on the code of WPI? or is it written in a diff programming language?

It is written in MS VC++.

Bryan

2) make it more professional looking.  the boxes on the left are too wide, and take up too much space

I have made the boxes more narrow. Remember these boxes are used to display information about each item. If they are too small you will not be able to put as much information on the screen.

I'm not such a big fan of the description box in the first place. What was wrong with the 'tooltip-style' of WPI? Seems more practical.

3) make the dependent programs automatically-select the things that are needed, instead of blocking them from installing until the other is checked.

This will create an interesing question. If you check "ITEM A" and then I automatically check the other needed items, what do I do if you uncheck "ITEM A", do I leave all the others checked? do I uncheck all the other items? What if you really selected the other items one at a time? It will create a user interface nightmare (IMO).

If A requires B, then it works like this:

If you click A, B is auto-clicked.

If you UNCLICK B, A is auto-unclicked.

If you click A, and b is auto clicked, and then you unclick A, B would remain clicked (but could obvioulsy be manually unclicked by the user).

It is written in MS VC++.

Does that make this program 'more stable' than WPI?

[what about the tooltips idea? and the requirements-conditions idea?

I have removed the info box and replaced it with tooltips.

As for the "requirements condition" I have another question. Would you like it to work the same for "excludes" items. If you select an item that excludes something else, automatically uncheck the excluded item?

Newest version .05 - Main opening post updated. Here is the new stuff

version .05

------------

1) Added option to enable "AutoSelect". If you select an application the program will automatically select and other applications that are "required" and will unselect other applications that are "excluded"

Use 1 to turn it on and 0 to turn it off

[Config]

AutoSelect=1

2) Added the ability to define three user-defined selection buttons. There are three settings for each button:

1) Text - This is the text on the button

2) Icon - this is the file to use for the icon on the button

3) Select - this is a list of UID's that will be selected when you click the button

Here is an example:

[button1]

text=Default

icon=all.ico

Select=App1,App2,App3

[button2]

text=laptop

icon=all.ico

Select=App4,App12,App21

[button3]

text=Server

icon=all.ico

Select=App7,App8,App9

If you do not have a section the button will not be shown. Therefore you can have 1-3 buttons On the screen.

3) Added "Reboot" to the settings for each item. If you add REBOOT=1 to any item and that item is installed the system will reboot after all installations are completed

Name=XP Post SP2-Hotfixes

UID=XPPOSTSP2HOTFIXES

REBOOT=1

DESC=Installs the latests hotfixes (KB834707, KB867282, KB873333, KB873339, KB885250, KB885626, KB885835, KB885836, KB886185, KB888113, KB888302, KB890047, KB890175, KB891781)

CMD=%cdrom%\\Apps\\InstallScripts\\HotFixes.au3.exe

CAT=Final

4) Added "Forced" to the settings for each item. If you add FORCED=1 to any item then the item cannot be "unchecked"

Name=XP Post SP2-Hotfixes

UID=XPPOSTSP2HOTFIXES

REBOOT=1

FORCED=1

DESC=Installs the latests hotfixes (KB834707, KB867282, KB873333, KB873339, KB885250, KB885626, KB885835, KB885836, KB886185, KB888113, KB888302, KB890047, KB890175, KB891781)

CMD=%cdrom%\\Apps\\InstallScripts\\HotFixes.au3.exe

CAT=Final

5) Removed the "Info pane" on the left side of the screen and replaced it with "ToolTips" (aka popup).