Worst PC Problem For Me Ever

Jeremy

Ok, my primary use for my PC revolves around the combination of my FireWire Card and my DVC. On December 23rd, my FireWire simply vanished for my PC. Nothing in Device Manager except "Unknown Device". My external HD and DVC show no signs of life through the FireWire. I went and bought a new FireWire, no detection. I updated my BIOS, nothing. I got a brand new motherboard (same as old one) and put the new FireWire card in and nothing. I reformatted, NOTHING!

I waited a month for my new mobo and I cannot believe that my problem is not fixed. Can anyone help me out?

More mature and intelligent responses would be more appreciated at this point.

Ok, I have figured out a few things since my last post.

The "PCI Input Device" happened to be my sound card without installed Drivers.

I successfully managed to get my PC to recognise my FireWire Card. However, MAXTOR should appear under Disk Drives, which it doesn't. I have my Maxtor HD hooked up properly, but no recognisation. Any ideas?

Devices still won't show signs of life through my FireWire PCI card. The PCI card is there, but its not holding hands with anything connected to it. Any ideas?

First off Jeremy PLZ use eazyshare. You can find a link in my sig.

You have been asked to do this many time in the past.

Respect the rules:

3. Please do not post screenshots within threads that exceed 300x200 in resolution and 150kb in size. Provide a link to the image and host it on your own webspace if possible. If you do not have personal webspace try Eazyshare . Always keep in mind we have several members on 56k and loading a thread with a few large screenshots can be quite slow for them.
6. If you need to attach something, it'd be great if you could find a host for the file. Please only attach something if you absolutely have no other option. This will help keep the size of the database down and keep MSFN running smoothly for our members.

As for your issues, i kinda of am let to belive this might be casued by an over nlited xp....consider living some more of the critical windows components.

However if it was working b4 its strage that it just stoped out of nowhere.

I would consider a repair or reinstall

|Drew|

As for your issues, i kinda of am let to belive this might be casued by an over nlited xp....consider living some more of the critical windows components.

However if it was working b4 its strage that it just stoped out of nowhere.

I would consider a repair or reinstall

I reformatted with my original Dell XP Home SP1 CD......

This is not a problem that can be easily fixed with a reinstall. I have tried....

And FYI, when I do nLite Windows, I leave the FireWire drivers alone.

Sorry, will use links to pics from now on. I removed my attached images.

Is it onboard or offboard Firewire?

If offboard consider changing the pci slot. or making sure its not sharing too many irqs with other devices in your computer, Especailly Vidcard related stuff.

If its On board...and on top of that you got the board replaced.... check the cable and the device your attaching...they might be the problem at hand.

|Drew|

Is it onboard or offboard Firewire?

If offboard consider changing the pci slot. or making sure its not sharing too many irqs with other devices in your computer, Especailly Vidcard related stuff.

If its On board...and on top of that you got the board replaced.... check the cable and the device your attaching...they might be the problem at hand.

|Drew|

It is offboard. I had to remove my sound card and put the FireWire in its place in order to get my PC to recognise it. Hmm, complications with the video card? Never heard of anything like that. It's two slots away from the videocard. Can you elaborate on this for me, please?

IRQ Screenshot

Have you tried other external devices, cables etc?

No, those are the only devices I have that hook up to my FireWire.

When I plug my DVC into it and turn it on, no New Hardware Wizard dialog pops up.

No, they don't. And if they did and I tried that, of course they would work. I'm been through most of this with other people before. There's something that's just not quite right. Any specific BIOS settings?

well how do u know that your firewire appliances are not corrupt?

a power outage might just cause this.

i've never seen a setting for firewire in bios

u know that firewire is also used for tcp/ip stuff like lan/internet etc.. (just mentioning..)

ok whatelse, take your appliances to a store near by and test them, staff at bestbuy might even help...

well how do u know that your firewire appliances are not corrupt?

a power outage might just cause this.

There has never been a power outage in my apartment in the duration I've lived there and my my DVC and External HD used to work perfectly when connected to my PC via the FireWire, but one day they just stopped working and I can't get anything to show life to my PC through the FW ports. That is what I am telling you. There is nothing wrong with my appliances. And my FireWire card is good (because I mentioned I got it working last night and also because its a brand new card). I was shocked that the new motherboard did not solve this issue. Nothing odd appears in Device Manager. No !'s or ?'s.

FireWire > 3 ports > 2 devices (no recognisation of hardware). And like I mentioned before, I am currently not using a nLited install.

And yes, I do have my Chipset drivers installed properly.

Jeremy, take it from a tech of many years, you can never assume a particular piece of hardware is good. If you refuse to belive that there is a possibility that the external Fireware device could be bad your just limiting yourself.

All options should be looking to to properly diagnose the problem

EVEN the simple ones.

I cannot tell you how many times i have diagnosed a comupter for Os issues, corruption or non booting issues. Spending hours and hours...and always overlooking the IDE cable. Belive me all options should not be over looked, they WILL come back to kick you in the a**

:)

|Drew|