The Simple method of Firefox Unattended deployment

Felix,

I'm using Virtual PC trial edition.  I am not quite sure why Its not installing perfectly.. maybe I need to delete all registry settings before the install?  Before using your technique I had it install firefox alone and it worked, but no extensions or settings so I uninstalled it, deleted the program files folder for it, and the folder in my docs / settings folder.  Maybe there were some registry settings that I needed to delete?

If you want I can upload my install and you can check it out, see if it works alright with you.

Thanks,

Shak

Hi Shak,

I peronsally use Vmware, the ms solution was not to my liking. I would suggest that you start with a completely clean vm and and clean default install of Windows. Then install Firefox and any extensions and themes you want - Then create your deployment file.

I have tested the guide process many times and it has worked everytime without fail, however i do run on a clean version of windows each time.

Okay, I guess I will have to try and install VM Ware too. Just curious but can I access the internet with VMware? I can't with VPC for one thing. If so then I can set up the extensions that I need and everything on the new install and deploy that.

Btw, what is the program called from vmware that I am looking for, i've gone to their website once and its way too complex, I can't seem to find out what software is what.

Thanks alot.

Okay, I guess I will have to try and install VM Ware too.  Just curious but can I access the internet with VMware?  I can't with VPC for one thing.  If so then I can set up the extensions that I need and everything on the new install and deploy that.

Btw, what is the program called from vmware that I am looking for, i've gone to their website once and its way too complex, I can't seem to find out what software is what.

Thanks alot.

Yes you can access the internet with Vmware and you can get it from here VMware Workstation 4.5

• 1 month later...

Hi, i am wondering if any could tell me what is wrong. When ever i run the .vbs script i get an error

Invalid root in registry key"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Licenses\4d5.....

Line 32

Char 1

Code 80070002

Source: WshShell.RegRead

Hi, i am wondering if any could tell me what is wrong. When ever i run the .vbs script i get an error

Invalid root in registry key"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Licenses\4d5.....

Line 32

Char 1

Code 80070002

Source: WshShell.RegRead

try the following command: cscript scriptname.vbs

i got

C:\Documents and Settings\Edward\Desktop\Simple-FFDeploy\ffdeploy.vbs(32, 1) Ws

Shell.RegRead: Invalid root in registry key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Licenses\4D55365

-6ABE-11cf-8ADB-00AA00C00905\".

• 1 month later...
Hey Felix, great idea and tutorial you have here. I can't wait to try it out but I am encountering a problem.

Hi Shak,

Ok thanks for identifying the issues. I have fixed them and updated the ffstuff.exe file. You can just leave the firefox.sfx file in the same folder as your deployment files - if you want to have it in the winrar folder - just make a change to the !makeSFX.bat.

If you have any other issues or questions let me know :)

I am getting this same problem, and I don't seem to find a file called ffstuff.exe, where am I supposed to get it.

Thx

Hey Felix, great idea and tutorial you have here. I can't wait to try it out but I am encountering a problem.

Hi Shak,

Ok thanks for identifying the issues. I have fixed them and updated the ffstuff.exe file. You can just leave the firefox.sfx file in the same folder as your deployment files - if you want to have it in the winrar folder - just make a change to the !makeSFX.bat.

I am getting this same problem, and I don't seem to find a file called ffstuff.exe, where am I supposed to get it.

Thx

Try reading here :)

Hi Shak,

Thx

I did that is how I got to have the same problem shak was having, and there is nothing called ffstuff in the file i downloaded from your link.

when I run !makesfx.cmd i get error saying

cannot open exclude.lst

the system cannot find the file specified

cannot open C:\program file\winrar\firefox.SFX

the system cannot find the file specified.

In your post to shak you say you fixed the problem and updated ffstuff.exe.

I cannot find ffstuff.exe

And when I copy firefox.SFX to the winrar folder. i get

cannot open exclude.lst

cannot open comment.txt

@Damoz

Yes it does, but does not give you a custom install. The whole point of this and other guides is a custom install.

But thanks.

@Felix

would you like me to post a copy of the !makesfx.cmd ?

I really could use some help here, it seems your method would work best for me but am unable get past this problem.

Hi Shak,

Thx

I did that is how I got to have the same problem shak was having, and there is nothing called ffstuff in the file i downloaded from your link.

when I run !makesfx.cmd i get error saying

cannot open exclude.lst

cannot open C:\program file\winrar\firefox.SFX

the system cannot find the file specified.

In your post to shak you say you fixed the problem and updated ffstuff.exe.

I cannot find ffstuff.exe

And when I copy firefox.SFX to the winrar folder. i get

cannot open exclude.lst

cannot open comment.txt

Did you try downloading Simple-FFDeploy.rar

This is the latest files (have been there for sometime btw) Contains Bob Templeton's FFDeploy, Custom WinRAR SFX Module for Firefox and Extra scripts by `felix` (This one file contains everything you need)

Edited by `Felix`

Nevermind,

I have found the issue to be my system. I copied everything to my second drive and it worked without issue.

(This is why it is imperative i get my disk done soon, my current setup is quite buggy)

Edited by nujackk

@felix

This method is great but only has one drawback, It doesn't show up in the add remove list, nor does installers like flash and roboform find it. ( probably real Player, and Quicktime will have problems as well )

But I found a way to fix it.

I just run a silent install of the latest release after running this.

In runonce I first run the installer I create with your method.

Then I run the official release from Mozilla with the -ms switch

this gets my custom install and shows up in the add remove and other installers will find it.

Hope this helps

• 3 months later...