The Simple method of Firefox Unattended deployment

Well i don't understant the use of the vbs file...

If an user launchs firefox, its profile will be created automatically in the %username%/application date/mozilla/firefox directory.

If u use a roaming profile, i think there is no need for this file. User's profile (including the app data dir.) is downloaded from server when the user login and uploaded to server at logoff.

And btw if u want a default settings, u can use the defaults/profile/prefs.js.

Am i wrong or :wacko:

Well i don't understant the use of the vbs file...

If an user launchs firefox, its profile will be created automatically  in the %username%/application date/mozilla/firefox directory.

If u use a roaming profile, i think there is no need for this file. User's profile (including  the app data dir.) is downloaded from server when the user login and uploaded to server at logoff.

And btw if u want a default settings, u can use the defaults/profile/prefs.js.

Am i wrong  or :wacko:

Well the vbs files gives system admins the flexibility to modify and change what happens and customize further. And yes you are right if you have installed with the original installer a new user is prompted, however when we make a custom installation - this isn't the case. Again you are right about the default user profile, but we want to have as many options as possible...

Good work Felix.

Sorry gentlemen, I've been swamped. You don't need me to send you the code...it's already right there in the .VBS files. ;) The code for FFDeploy.exe is obsolete. The VBS code is simply the WSH/VBS version of the same processes.

My work load is such that I cannot spend much (if any) time right now maintaining FFDeploy.

Hey felix,

I just 'tested' it out on my VPC setup i have. First i removed uninstalled firefox from the add/remove in CP, deleted the firefox directory from program files, and deleted the folder for mozilla from my user/application data folder. I ran the silent file to install it all and it seemed to work, but after it finished, when I launched firefox (from the desktop), it opened but without any extensions showing.

I checked tools -> extensions and i saw all of them there, but I could not go into the options of any of them. I was able to install them.

ANy idea why this may have happened? Does it only work when you add it to your cmdlines or runonceex?

Hey felix,

I just 'tested' it out on my VPC setup i have.  First i removed uninstalled firefox from the add/remove in CP, deleted the firefox directory from program files, and deleted the folder for mozilla from my user/application data folder.  I ran the silent file to install it all and it seemed to work, but after it finished, when I launched firefox (from the desktop), it opened but without any extensions showing.

I checked tools -> extensions and i saw all of them there, but I could not go into the options of any of them.  I was able to install them.

ANy idea why this may have happened?  Does it only work when you add it to your cmdlines  or runonceex?

Hi Shak,

No ideas why your custom install is not working correctly. I have tried to duplicate your issues here without success. Are you using vmware or similar to create your custom install? I have tested with VMware and all works fine.

Hi everybody,

I found a small bug in CreateProfile.vbs and FFDeploy.vbs

Microsoft localize the name of the desktop folder and a path such C:\Documents and Settings\your_name\desktop\Firefox become C:\Documents and Settings\your_name\Bureau\Firefox in a French Windows version. I suppose it's the same problem with German, Spanish, Russian ..... versions.

Other trick: I install my extensions with the -install-global-extension switch of Firefox

GZ

:thumbup

Hey felix,

I just 'tested' it out on my VPC setup i have.  First i removed uninstalled firefox from the add/remove in CP, deleted the firefox directory from program files, and deleted the folder for mozilla from my user/application data folder.  I ran the silent file to install it all and it seemed to work, but after it finished, when I launched firefox (from the desktop), it opened but without any extensions showing.

I checked tools -> extensions and i saw all of them there, but I could not go into the options of any of them.  I was able to install them.

ANy idea why this may have happened?  Does it only work when you add it to your cmdlines  or runonceex?

Hi Shak,

No ideas why your custom install is not working correctly. I have tried to duplicate your issues here without success. Are you using vmware or similar to create your custom install? I have tested with VMware and all works fine.

Felix,

I'm using Virtual PC trial edition. I am not quite sure why Its not installing perfectly.. maybe I need to delete all registry settings before the install? Before using your technique I had it install firefox alone and it worked, but no extensions or settings so I uninstalled it, deleted the program files folder for it, and the folder in my docs / settings folder. Maybe there were some registry settings that I needed to delete?

If you want I can upload my install and you can check it out, see if it works alright with you.

Thanks,

Shak

What about if a new version is out ?

With this deployment, if a new version of Firefox is out ? Shall we uninstall the current version on the PC ?  Or can we install the newest version on the older ?

Yes you can install any new version over the top of the current one and that will pick up your existing settings.

If you are creating a new deployment file, then i suggestion a clean install on a clean machine.

Hi everybody,

I found a small bug in CreateProfile.vbs and FFDeploy.vbs

Microsoft localize the name of the desktop folder and a path such C:\Documents and Settings\your_name\desktop\Firefox become C:\Documents and Settings\your_name\Bureau\Firefox in a French Windows version. I suppose it's the same problem with German, Spanish, Russian ..... versions.

Other trick: I install my extensions with the -install-global-extension switch of Firefox

GZ

:thumbup

Thanks for the information - very helpful. I am speaking with the developer of FFDeploy about obtaining the source code and then further improving the product and making an all in one creator. I will attempt to address this issue if he allows me to continue working on his code.