Radeon 7500 w/ XP

speedz

Alright. I'm running a Celeron 650 @ 1002 mhz w/ 384 megs of ram running windows XP.

Recently, a friend installed a Radeon 7500 w/ 64 megs of video memory on my PC.

Excited, i wanted to test it right away.

I bought GTA3 but it says that I need more than 12 megs of vid memory to run it.

Horrified, I tried 3 other games and none worked.

I pulled out my vid card and it doesn't even have any ATI logos on it. but when i go into device manager it tells me i have a Radeon 7500. I tried installing the video drivers with no success. And direct X 8.1 is supposed to be included with XP. I dunno SP1 won't install either. I'm gettin' pretty god **** tried of this s*** and might just replace XP with ME cuz it is the s***s.

LMAO! I had a similar problem with my XP/ati7500 not so long ago. I went to the ATI home site and the usual blah blah blah about what driver to install how to ID you card and what not. Basically, your video card is "powered by Ati" NOT "built by Ati". Most of the time its no biggie but sometimes you get problems like this when its made by 3rd party companies.

I tried to fix it within windows but it just got too frustrating so I just reinstalled XP with the new vid card inside. It autodetected it and stuff and the problem was solved.

On a side not, the 7500 may have come as 64 but it still lacks any real power and can't handle games in the likes of Warcraft3. I upgraded to the 8500(not a long term solution but then what really is) for a cheap price and so maybe you should give back or sell off the 7500 and get a new card.

Hummm..well Radeon 7500 definatly have more then 17 megs of Vid ram...

So i think your freind bought one of those ati radeon rip offs..its got the Ati Gpu but the have been severly downgraded with sd ram and a severly slower clock speed.. Sort of like a Mx version of a Geforce..only these after market type parts are cheep and very crappy....

I sugest you get yourself a real Ati radeon, the 7500 are old now and are very cheap, so theres no need to by 3rd party crap.......Or just invest in a good geforce 4200 wich start around 140

=Drew

I checked my radeon's clock speed & memory with powerstrip and it is significantly under what it was rated. So is there no solution other than changing the card? I don't know alot about grfx cards but i came across this site :Target USA Ins. and was wondering why their Geforce 4 is so cheep?

Windows XP and the Celeron CPU are not the best of combinations. Most hardware sites have long agreed on that, even Microsoft agrees. If you want better game performaance I would consider an Athlon or P3 minimal.

speedz came asking for help and you all tell him to buy new hardware lol. but basically .. its performing the way it does im afraid they are right speedz :)

when the nv3 comes out there will be a lot of price drops in the ATI range and NVidias own range too i expect.

I checked my radeon's clock speed & memory with powerstrip and it is significantly under what it was rated. So is there no solution other than changing the card? I don't know alot about grfx cards but i came across this site :Target USA Ins. and was wondering why their Geforce 4 is so cheep?

the Xtasy GeForce4 MX 420 are cheep because there MX, meaning the lowest of the quilty in that line of cards. There junk. You can grab one for that price if not cheeper from a local PC store.

Well becasue Win2k is a early version of XP...i dont think it will allow you do do an upgrade...but even if tht were not the case, I deffinatly would recommend a fresh install of a clean formated HD....just back up you important stuff on to an additional HD or Cd and just boot from the Win2k cd, and format via the instller app..

goodluck

=Drew

WOW!!! dude, calm down. Take a breather and take a step back. You might have missed a step or two when reinstalling. You gotz so many years of experience here, with quick replies so give us the step by step of what you did. Why can't you install a driver for you network card? How did you format your HD, as in FAT16, 32, etc.

DId you "upgrade" from ME to Win2K directly? or with a clean formatted HD? If you did it directly over it, try reformatting and installing again. If it doesn't recognize some hardware, ya can install the drivers in later. Let us know what happens again.