Flashing BIOS on Other PC Disables File Sharing?

gamehead200

Well, tonight I just flashed one of my PCs' BIOS's and all went well... Before I did, I ran AIDA32 (to check the Motherboard manufacturer and BIOS info) over my network... After flashing the BIOS, I tried opening AIDA32 from the same network computer but it said Access Denied. I tried accessing AIDA32 from another computer and still got the same error. I enabled/disabled file sharing a few times on this computer and I still get the same error (even when playing around with the "Server" service)... Does anyone know what could be going on? :}

that really does not make sense, does you motherboard have a built in nic on it. If it does, maybe it changed the way it operates. Try changing the bios back to the old version and see if it works again. But flashing the bios should have no effect on the sharing of network drives.

Have you tried to re-install your nic drivers?

My guess is that something changed concerning your onboard nic (or the PCI bus that a nic is in) and re-installing the driveers will re connect all of the dots.

OK, I'm going to re-explain it... Computer A has AIDA32 (shared on the network) and an on-board NIC and Computer B had its BIOS flashed and does not have an on-board NIC...

So I started up Computer B and ran AIDA32 (being shared from Computer A) to check my motherboard ID. Everything went fine. I got the updated BIOS and installed it with no problems. When I booted up the same computer and tried accessing Computer A on the network, it said "Access is denied." OK, fine. So I tried accessing Computer A from another computer in the house and I got the same error. So after restarting Computer A, and enabling/disabling File Sharing and restarting the "Server" service a few times, nothing helped.

So my conclusion is that there is nothing wrong with Computer B (who had its BIOS flashed) but really Computer A has the problem... :wacko:

I will try reinstalling the NIC on Computer A...

EDIT: I just updated the NIC driver on Computer A but still no luck... :(

I hate how Windows file sharing works...

I just did this in the same order:

- Unchecked simple file sharing in Folder Options.

- Stopped the "Server" service.

- Disabled the "Guest" account.

- Started the "Server" service.

- Enabled simple file sharing.

- Enabled the "Guest" account.

Now everything works properly again... Its one of those Windows mysteries again... :P

@matrix0978  If you are thinking about doing a flash of your bios, be really careful.  One mistake and bye-bye MOBO.

Yeah... I've only flashed BIOSes 3 times in my life and I only screwed one mobo up... So 2/3 times is OK, I guess... The time I screwed up one of my mobos, I was doing a quick look-up of the BIOS, so I obviously screwed it up... Also, I get very nervous when doing it! :lol: My heart beats like mad, while thinking that I'm going to screw everything up! :P

Lol yeah. I would like to try it....At least once. But how would i begin to? Where do i start?Guide?

I can't give you good advice on how to do it. It usually is faily straight forward. You will need to find out what bios you have now and the version. Then you would need to track down a newer version, if there is one. If I'm not mistaken, you will need an installer at the same time, which is usually provided at the same location you get the new bios.

1) Make sure you have the correct bios!!!!!

2) Make sure you really want to do this!!!!!

3) Try it on a junk computer first and only on a computer that is yours

4) If you are happy with your computer as it is now, then maybe you shouldn't flash. Know this, that your bios is what starts up first on your computer. If it is bad, then your computer won't ever wake up again. It will have power but will lie there like a vegetable. You won't be able to use your OS, access you HDD, play your favorite MPORG or come and visit us at MSFN until you buy a new motherboard. :( You'll be missed matrix0978. Remember this, that for proper burial rights for a MOBO, you need to dig an 18"x18"x18" hole, place the MOBO cpu side up (after removing cpu, you'll want that), fill with dirt and stamp flat (you'll want to do that because you are going to be anoyed at having to spend $50)