bad winnt.sif

My winnt.sif file for the most part works. But the following 3 sections do not work:

1. The C: and D: partition are never converted from FAT32. (I created both using fdisk, before install).

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=No
   FileSystem=ConvertNTFS
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   Repartition=yes

2. The D & S folder is placed on C: partition.

[GuiUNattended]
   ProfilesDir="d:\Documents and Settings"
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=10
   OemSkipWelcome=1

3. command0 is never exectued, yet I know it works because I have manually tried it, post install.

[GuiRunOnce]
   command0="c:\install\batch_file.cmd"

I researched all of these tags, and I can't seem to see what I am doing different that the KB articles.

Does an unattended install leave a log anywhere so I can see what the heck has gone wrong? Is it obvious to anyone else what I have done wrong.

~S

well, at least I figured that one out on my own

I actually read the tutorial to figure out why it wasn't precopying and then everything else would fail

good tutorials, shame people don't read them :whistle:

[GuiRunOnce]

Guess you don't read?

[GuiRunOnce]
"c:\install\batch_file.cmd"

is how it should be.

If you are going to be such a jerk with something you post, you should atleast make sure you are correct about it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using command0, command1 and so on... Test it, it works... and if you do some research on the microsoft website you will see this is referenced many times. Better luck next time...

[GuiRunOnce]

Guess you don't read?

[GuiRunOnce]
"c:\install\batch_file.cmd"

is how it should be.

If you are going to be such a jerk with something you post, you should atleast make sure you are correct about it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using command0, command1 and so on... Test it, it works... and if you do some research on the microsoft website you will see this is referenced many times. Better luck next time...

please by all means....provide some links (and I'm not being to defensive, but I do like to know what works and what doesn't to avoid doing what I did before if indeed it was wrong)

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...icb_ui_ziss.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...gb_aut_grus.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/Resources/Documen..._guirunonce.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...fc_afr_lqmx.asp

Not one of them use

commandx="XXXX"

but instead use

"commandx"

Also, Sorry if I was rude, didn't seem like I was....but I'll keep that into consideration from now on.

I'm neutral here, Setup Manager produces

[GuiRunOnce]
   Command0=c:\run
   Command1=c:\wait
   Command2=c:\end

1. The C: and D: partition are never converted from FAT32. (I created both using fdisk, before install).
FileSystem:

Specifies whether to convert the primary partition to NTFS or to leave it alone.

Repartition:

Specifies whether to delete all partitions on the first drive of the client computer and to reformat the drive with the NTFS file system.

Unsure, maybe a drive letter problem?
3. command0 is never exectued, yet I know it works because I have manually tried it, post install.
OemPreinstall=No, change to Yes would be the solution, as batch file is not copied over.

With respect to OemPreinstall=no, all my files were being precopied, before the the gui part of install even comes up. The batch file is just not being run.

If you are saying that with OemPreinstall=no, that nothing in $oem\$1\install should be copied, then I wonder if my winnt.sif is being ignored? That would explain a lot of things.

I am new to windows, so I'll take your word for it that OemPreinstall should be set to yes. I made that change, burned the CD again, and had the same problem. All files are copied, but the GuiRunOnce section is not run. I have tried comman0="\path\to\batch.cmd" and just "\path\to\batch.cmd", but it makes no dif. Yet after install if I cut and paste my \path\to\batch.cmd" into a command window it runs fine, so it isn't a fat finger problem.

I prepartition the hd and formatted C: and D: to FAT32 (I am not aware of a free tool that can do NTFS formatting. So the D: drive IS available during install. Perhaps I should set repartition to 0? That might also make the convertNTFS tag work too?

The orgname, machine name, timezone, etc settings from my winnt.sif work. But it is like parts of it are ignored. It would be nice if there was a log to see what was going on, why parts of winnt.sif are rejected/ignored. Perharps one bad line is causing rest of winnt.sif to be ignored.

Here is procedure I used to create CD:

1. RIP MS-XP-Pro cd to win_xp_pro_sp2.

2. slipstream sp2

3. use this sites tutorial to add win_sp_pro_sp2\$oem\$1\install\* files, and a batch file.

4. use setupmgr to create a unattend.txt.

5. modified the unattend.txt according to my preferences, based on knowledge from this site.

6. copy the unattend.bat to win_sp_pro\winnt.sif

8. use MS's tool to create a bootable install CD (can't remmeber name of tool).

I feel like I am close, but so far no cigar (on any of my 3 probs).

~S

My winnt.sif file for the most part works.  But the following 3 sections do not work:

1. The C: and D: partition are never converted from FAT32.  (I created both using fdisk, before install).

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=No
   FileSystem=ConvertNTFS
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   Repartition=yes

[GuiUNattended]
   ProfilesDir="d:\Documents and Settings"
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=10
   OemSkipWelcome=1

3.  command0 is never exectued, yet I know it works because I have manually tried it, post install.

[GuiRunOnce]

I researched all of these tags, and I can't seem to see what I am doing different that the KB articles.

Does an unattended install leave a log anywhere so I can see what the heck has gone wrong?  Is it obvious to anyone else what I have done wrong.

~S

I would be intrested in seeing your whole winnt.sif, your batch files, and the contents of your cmdlines.txt

then it would be a lot easier to diagnose what's going on.

the other thing I didn't understand about your latest post was the win_sp_pro_sp2\$oem\$1\install\* path

Is that what you call the folder you have your xp setup files in? just curious

I'm sure since you made it this far, you know to make the path in your batch files identical to what is created on the C:\ drive from the $OEM$ folder

just checking the basics :o