Any alternatives to Norton SystemWorks

Wai_Wai

Any alternatives to Norton SysmtemWorks

Decision to completely remove Norton

I would like to completely remove this program because it is becoming really annoying recently. This program continues making troubles. The last time I got problems with Norton was when I upgraded to Wins XP Pro SP2. Norton Anti-virus suddenly couldn't’t startup anymore (even after I installed all Norton updates!).

Before removing it, I have to find substitutes. Or my computer will be in danger. Does anyone have good recommendations relating to:

(Note: It doesn't really matter it has to be in one suite. If I can get several programs and they meet my needs, it is perfectly fine.

I don't mind to pay so long as they are good enough.)

- Anti-virus

- File Recovery

Requirement:

-- I would like it to work like what Norton Utilities do

-- It will backup all deleted files, items, entries etc.

-- I can tell the program how long I should keep the file

-- It has an exclusion list, so I can exclude some file types or folders which I don’t wish to backup

- Wipe File Permanently

-- so I can safely delete a file which cannot be recovered forever

- Installation Monitor

Requirement:

-- Can record changes made during installation (eg provide snapshots before/after installation);

-- Can remove installed files and reg.

-- Can undo changes made to (overwritten) files/dll/reg etc.

NB: Norton CleanSweep is limited. It cannot really undo a lot of changes. If a file is being overwritten/updated. There’s no way for CleanSweep to help me with that. And I sometimes spotted the program deleting wrong files (and it says it is safe to delete. It is not indeed!)

Thanks.

There are actually many alternitives to Norton System Works, granted, there are not a lot of good software packages that include everything you want, but check out McAfee for the anti-virals, if you're using Win ME, Win 2K, or Win XP you could use system restore and system checkpoints for you too be able to restore installations. For permanent file deletes I use a program called PGP which is a nice integrated security and encryption package, but there are many choices there also. For Undelete stuff, I would say Restorer2000, but many people have probs with it, I never have, but... go figure.

Anyway, thats what I use, however, as I've said before, there are many other options out there, take a look around at CNet, and TuCows see what you like. Alternitivly you could just do a basic google.

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year

Wai_Wai, have you tried completely removing systemworks and reinstalling it after you upgraded to sp2. I've used norton since I can remember and I've never had troubles with it. Even after I upgraded to sp2 (home and office pc's). Are you using a recent version of norton? 2k4, 2k5?

I've also thought about alternatives, but i dont believe there's one as comprehensive as systemworks; and if you find some you have install them separately.

good luck!

Wai_Wai, have you tried completely removing systemworks and reinstalling it after you upgraded to sp2.  I've used norton since I can remember and I've never had troubles with it.  Even after I upgraded to sp2 (home and office pc's).  Are you using a recent version of norton? 2k4, 2k5?

I've also thought about alternatives, but i dont believe there's one as comprehensive as systemworks; and if you find some you have install them separately.

good luck!

I used NSW 2004 previously.

When I updated to SP2, it won't work anymore. I tried to update + reinstall in vain.

I switched to NSW2005 to see if the problem was solved. No unfortunately.

The dump file is suggesting Norton has a problematic driver which causes the STOP code. (SYMTDI.SYS)

I think I should stop using NSW and see if the STOP codes will be gone.

Abou alternatives, it doesn't need to be all-in-one. It can be different programs which do different kinds of good jobs.

In fact, I do feel quite a lot of utilties in NSW is crappy. I spot some of its mistakes/errors once in a while. Norton CleanSweep isn't uninstall programs well. It sometimes make mistakes, plus it can't undo changes made to a file, it can just delete added files. Too limited. :unsure:

To drop Norton is as good as dropping the dangerous habbit of eating at McDonald's daily.

For a far better solutions Wai, go here:

Great antivirus suite with network protection: www.avast.com

File Recovering Utility: www.r-studio.com

Windows cleaner with a shredding option: Window Washer

Installation monitor: InstallWatch and InstallRite

File sharing utility: www.shareaza.com

ceez,

Can't understand why you never had trouble with Norton stuffs!

For every Norton product that I've installed, I got trouble.

Back in the Win95 days, I remember that after I did something, not a format, the system refused to start and the drive was all cleared. No Windows directory, no nothing!

And for NAV, it refueses to start all the sudden. And when I try to uninstall it, it uninstalls but gives me BSOD.

At another different time when it refueses to start, I uninstalled it, and reinstalled NAV but it just gives out the msg that It doesn't want to start because of something.

It might just be a bad luck but I made the UA CDs because of it.

ceez,

Can't understand why you never had trouble with Norton stuffs!

For every Norton product that I've installed, I got trouble.

Back in the Win95 days, I remember that after I did something, not a format, the system refused to start and the drive was all cleared. No Windows directory, no nothing!

And for NAV, it refueses to start all the sudden. And when I try to uninstall it, it uninstalls but gives me BSOD.

At another different time when it refueses to start, I uninstalled it, and reinstalled NAV but it just gives out the msg that It doesn't want to start because of something.

It might just be a bad luck but I made the UA CDs because of it.

I started getting problems when I was using NSW2004.

Norton was fine when I was still in Win98 era.

I just installed it because it chanced to meet this anti-virus in the first place. At that time, I was just a computer layman.

I intended to switch when using NSW2004, but I just couldn't help mssing some of its features. However it created more and more problems which I couldn't stand anymore.

Now I can find some great stuff which can replace this bad guy, and what's more, they are free. NSW is crappy and costs! Other programs are free and great! I was paying money for crappy programs. A bit regretful...

Bye bye Norton unless you do something to convince me to switching back.

By the way, what AV programs are you using now?

Vel Straty, I guess I have just been fortunate enough to not have any probs. The only probs I've had is with the stand alone version of norton in which I am left no choice but to download the NAV remover tool from symantec, then once I reinstall I have no probs.

As for NSW, never had any issues. I admit I dont use clean sweap or goback, just windoctor and nav, but either way, I've never had any issues.

@ buletov, thkz for those alternatives, good to have in case NSW ever craps out on me or someone wants some free alternatives! thkz!!! :thumbup

what you must do is uninstall norton systemworks everytime you upgrade your os and get rid of all the files and registry keys then reinstall it after the upgrade is complete,the manual states that.

do it in this order

1:in add/remove remove all(norton systemworks)then restart.

2:double click on this registry key to remove all reg keys left by systemworks 2005.

3:delete the norton systemworks folder.

4:use any reg cleaner,preferably crap cleaner at http://www.ccleaner.com.

5:reinstall norton systemworks 2005

then update the hell out of it before you do anything else

my recomendation is to use norton antivirus 2002 instead of nav 2005

it has a few less features but doesen't slow the system up or take along time to start

just use systemworks 2005 for the rest except nav 2005

NSW2005_XP_V6.reg

...or use some better and faster antivirus software...

In 95% of the cases, when you uninstall norton and install some

other av, you WILL find either virus, either trojan on your system.

Would you mind to tell me why?

I can't understand it.

Yes, you will find other virus's and what not on your computer after you uninstall something, and then reinstall something different. However, its not like it happens only with Norton, happens with all AV, and just software in particular. Also, just because the new AV finds something doesnt mean that it actually exists, it could just be detecting a remnent of the virus, or it could by a mis-call...

As you said: it -could- be a virus.

Anyways, I and many others don't like software which goes far beyond

it's scope od duty, like all post-2002 symantec products do. And by doing it,

they do not point enough of their attention on software's main purpose.

As you said: it -could- be a virus.

Anyways, I and many others don't like software which goes far beyond

it's scope od duty, like all post-2002 symantec products do. And by doing it,

they do not point enough of their attention on software's main purpose.

> Anyways, I and many others don't like software which goes far beyond

> it's scope od duty, like all post-2002 symantec products do.

What bad things do they do on our computers?

I woudl like to know more.