shutting down of computer

Mr. Spock

I'm trying to repear a pentium 3 computer of a freind of mine, that has the trouble to after a while it shuts down.

No restart or so just shutting down, i have format it, and then it toke a little longer before it shut down but, now it's shut down after a few moments again.

Where do i have to look, i get no beeping sounds that the temperature is to high or anything.

There is also nothing that point to a virus like the blaster.

What else can i check out.

Thx for the help

what do u mean theres nothing that "points" to blaster?

also, use a hardware monitoring app, such as "hmonitor" or something, u can see temps, pc doesnt always beep

do u get a dialog saying "your computer will shut down in 60 seconds" ?

explain more

if it shuts down without any noticfication then suspect the power supply I have seen this several times

Not sure why it does it as the cost of a new supply (around £20-£30)doesnt warrent spening time investigating a intermittent fault

and i allways find it handy to keep a spare one anyway.

I don't get the warning box of that the computer has to shutdown in 60 sec. that's why i know it's not the blaster virus. Also when it's the blaster virus it restarts and not totaly shut down.

It's really shutdown and for a while i can't put it on.

So indeed it's really looking like a heating problem of the CPU.

It can't be the videocard cause i have put in a new one.

It's a Pentium 500Mhz, 256Mb 10G hdd running on windows 98SE

yep power supply

replace it with one about 300watt that will more than do for that size PC

also keep the system clear of dust by brushing it off once in a while I think this is a major contribution to the problem as every one ive seen with that problem has been covered with dust over the vents inside the computer

Maybe the PSU is trippng due a fault in the mobo/HDD. I've seen this type of prob. Also, this type of problem is also caused by dry-solder.

Unplug everything (HD, CD etc.) then try running the system (only mobo, CPU, RAM) for about 2 hours. If its OK, then, go to check HD on another system.

Its a time-consuming procedure, though.