Partition problem how to solve it?

zillah

I used partition magic 8 to partition my hard disk into 3 partitions ,, the first one and second one are NTFS (Windows 2000 and 2003 respectively), and the third one was Linux partition,,,,when I checked partitions for error, I found there was error in first partition(windows2000),,,,And this is not the first time I experienced the same problem,,,,I have faced the same problem many times before,,,,,,,,,,

Is there any reason for that?

How can I avoid this problem or how can I fixed?

This problem affect me when I tried to do backup to the effected partition

it's my opinion that putting more than 2 OS's on a machine causes more issues that you really need.

hence i've stopped this and now only have xp pro and linux on my machine. i use ms virtualpc for 2K, Server 2K3, and other flavors of linux

Another Error message when I boot form PM CD is:

“PowerQuest Partition Magic has detected an error 116 on the partition starting at sector 63 on disk 1.

The starting LBA value is 63 and the CHS value is 16434494.

The LBA and CHS values must be equal.

PowerQuest PartitionMAgic has verified that the LBA value is correct and can fix the CHS values.

Would you like PowerQuest Partition Magic to fix this error.”

When I pressed OK, I received this message:

“The partition table error was successfully fixed.”

When I opened GUI of Partition Magic, I have seen the whole Hard Disk became in yellow color and I have seen this label on it:

“Partition table error #118 found.”

When I tried to delete partition it gave me this Error,

“Error#4 Bad argument/parameter.”

As far as I remembered I tried long time ago to delete Linux partitions on my HD by using Partiton Magic , I could not delete them,,,,Why? Why I can create Linux partitions by using Partition Magic,,why I can not delete these partitions!!!!

Partition Magic is known, in "some peculiar setups" to have problems.

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve.

If it is to repair existing partitions, it might be tricky, and every time you re-run PM you could make things worse.

Try :

1) Ranish Partition Manager (FREEWARE)

2) Acronis

jaclaz

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve.

I will explain to you,,,If I want to create partition of type FAT32 by using Ranish partition,,,and I want later on ,to check this partition if it free of error or not(becuaes I can not do any backup unless I have partiton free of error), by using magic partiton or System commander or Acronis, as you know Ranish does not have utility to check for error,,it has utility to create partition.

Do you thing I am not going to find any error because this FAT has been created by RANISH partition?

zillah,

maybe matters are a little bit confused, I'll try to explain what the difference is between the various utilities.

Normally you would use (from DOS or Windows 9x)

FDISK : FDISK can reserve space for the partitions and write the partition tables, it does not writes FAT tables nor clears the drive

FORMAT: FORMAT will write NEW FAT tables (overwriting old ones), it won't clear the drive

Ranish Partition Manager is supposed to be an "advanced" replacement for FDISK only.

Once you have reserved partition entry and partition tables with it, you should use your OS tool to format the partition, i.e. FORMAT in win9x or Disk Manager in NT/2k/XP.

Once formatted, you should use your OS tool to check the partition, usually CHKDISK.

Partition Magic and Acronis "should" have the function of all three of them (FDISK/FORMAT/CHKDSK), but as it happened to you, PM gives sometimes "strange" errors.

You should rely on the tools that came with your OS to do the formatting and checking.

jaclaz

I just want to double check with you another issue,,,Can Ranish partition convert from FAT32 to solaris for example? because when I went through ranish,,I could not find like this utility?

Do you thing ranish is for advanced user?

No, as said before, Ranish is an "advanced" FDISK utility, it DOES NOT FORMAT.

What you can do easily with Ranish is:

1) Set start and end point of partitions

2) Select TYPE of partition

Type of partition is a 1byte value, here is a list of possible values:

http://www.star-tools.com/partitionstar/en...manual/bid.html

Example:

If you have just one primary partition, FAT32 type, the value "0B" is written to the partition table.

If you want to change that partition to Solaris, you need to replace that value with either (depending on WHICH solaris) "82" or "BF".

The above procedure DOES NOT change ANY data on the hard disk except that 1 byte.

If you try to access data from windows, it won't be able to, but if you just write back the "0B", the drive will return as it were.

(You can do the same with ANY hex/disk editor)

Read these articles here:

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types.htm

http://www.ranish.com/part/primer.htm

http://thestarman.pcministry.com/asm/mbr/95BMEMBR.htm

http://www.ptdd.com/aboutpt.htm

jaclaz

Thanks for these urls I found them very useful.and could you please send this link again, because it did not work with me:

Now I am going to recall my previous question.

Suppose I created partitions(not onlt one), and I installed OSs(more than one OS),,,now I want to do backup,,,by using Ghost,,,,ghost was unable to do backup, because it was complaining there was error in partition,,,this is what happend to me more than once(not only one time).

What should I do? by the way in all these scenarios, I created my partition by using Magic Partition,,,and I have more than one operating system (e.g : Windows 2000, 2003, server)

Do you thinh If you have more than OSs, it will cause these problems?As lvlolvlo said:

it's my opinion that putting more than 2 OS's on a machine causes more issues that you really need.

hence i've stopped this and now only have xp pro and linux on my machine. i use ms virtualpc for 2K, Server 2K3, and other flavors of linux

Thanks