Acrobat reader strikes again...

Radimus

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2679

Adobe Reader 6.0.3 update - English, Japanese

This update addresses several potential vulnerabilities in

Adobe Reader versions 6.0.0-6.0.2. Note that currently there are no known malicious exploits of these vulnerabilities.

Adobe recommends that all users of Adobe Reader 6.0 apply

this update as a proactive measure.

This update can be applied to the English and Japanese

versions of Adobe Reader 6.0.2. Support for updating all 15

primary localizations of Adobe Reader will be posted at a later date.

This update addresses three issues:

- Preventing playback of malicious content in Flash media

embedded in a PDF File. For more information see Adobe

Knowledgebase article #321328

- Vulnerabilities in the PNG library (libpng version 1.2.5) that could be exploited with malformed PNG images. For more information see CAN-2004-0597.

- An issue with how the eBook plug-in works with *.etd files during eBook transactions. For more information see CAN-2004-1153.

System requirements

This update requires that the English or Japanese version of Adobe Reader 6.0.2 is installed on your system.

If you have version 6.0 installed, you can download Adobe Reader 6.0.1 and then use the Updates menu entry within Adobe Reader 6.0.1 to update your system to version 6.0.2.

Enterprise/IT administrators may find it more convenient to

start with full, uncompressed versions of Adobe Reader 6.0.2 before applying the update to version 6.0.3.

These can be found for certain languages on the Adobe Reader text-only download page and require a broadband connection.

Direct Download (1.8 MB)

Adobe Acrobat reader 6.0.3 update

The update extracts itself to your temp folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp\_isBA9\Adobe Acrobat and Reader 6.0.3 Update.msi

So you can apply the 6.0.2 and then install the above MSI.

Or, hopefully, wait for RyanVM to make a re-packaged version that merges the update into the original installer. Personally, I think I would wait for AcroRead 7.0 to come out (in final form).

Yeah, I'll be repackaging it. The fun part about the 6.0.3 update is that the MSI contains only one actual updated file. Then it updates the plugins through a secondary program called by the installer which unpacks some other files which are in some proprietary format (at least, I can't figure out a way to open them and get the files out of it).

That's OK, I have ways of working around that ;)

Won't have a chance to play with this until this weekend...but is it possible to run the 6.0.3 update on an administrative install of Adobe Reader already updated to 6.0.2? If the installer is MSI-based, it sounds like it should be...

EDIT: My bad - installer is MSI, not MSP...found some free time and was playing with it... if it weren't for the two .rtp files, the update would be as simple as replacing one file...I wonder if there's a way to do an admin run of the program needed to update the plugins.